The Mighty Jagrafess of thee Holy Hadrojassic Maxarodenfoe

Saeleofu

Aka Jagrafess! Or Jag. Or Jagger.

I got him at a local reptile shop this afternoon after I got off work. It just so happens that this is the same reptile shop our geckos at work came from, but the ones at work were donated by a third party that originally got him from there. They only had 3 crested geckos, all male. There was one that looked similar to this guy, but bigger and he looked cloudy (they said usually he's bright yellow). Then this guy, then one that was maybe chocolate and cream harlequin? I'm still learning the morphs, so I can't guarantee that. They looked very well taken care of, nice set ups, and they were very willing to get each of them out to show me.

I had anticipated getting a much smaller one, maybe an older hatchling, but they didn't have any. That's fine, but it means he'll need a tub upgrade pretty soon! As in probably as soon as I can get one, put it together, and let it cure/air out (he's currently in a 27qt tub). I haven't weighed him yet, but my guess is he's around 25g. He's much smaller than the 45g female we have at work, and roughly the same size as our 30g leopard gecko.

He's already found his food and eaten it (very willingly!), finger painted with said food, found his humid hide (which is almost too small, too!), and pooped. Off to a good start ;) He's VERY tame and handleable. They handle their reptiles regularly at the shop, and while I was checking out he was climbing all over the guy's arm.

I'm still a bit unsure of his color/morph. He's been brown, green, yellow, and olive already since I got him this afternoon. He has many spots - around 40 - and most of them are black, but there are several red ones too, including a BIG red spot under his neck :D I love the patternless/nearly patternless geckos, and I love spots, so he's pretty much exactly what I wanted. There may be some very faint striping, but it's VERY faint, or I'm imagining things.

I'm so happy with this little guy! Even though he already needs a tank upgrade, I'm glad I ended up with a young adult instead of a hatchling.

Xandra

Congrats, he's lovely!!! And he has testicles! I knew they had "bulges" but I didn't realize that they dropped so far and so obviously. I'm happy for you that you got an older one, a 2 month old is just so tiny lol I can't wait till mine grow to be his size!

Saeleofu

Congrats, he's lovely!!! And he has testicles! I knew they had "bulges" but I didn't realize that they dropped so far and so obviously. I'm happy for you that you got an older one, a 2 month old is just so tiny lol I can't wait till mine grow to be his size!
Actually, they're hemipenes ;) And yeah, they're pretty obvious :rofl1: They're easy to sex when they're adults. I'm not planning on breeding, so I'm glad all they had were males. That way there's no egg binding or worrying about keeping calcium levels up for laying eggs. It would be cool to come across a parthenogenic egg, but I'll take the easy male ;)

CharlieDog

Rude and Not Ginger
He's super freaking cute, and I really actually like the minimalism of his colors.

Though the super flashy morphs are really really cool too, lol

Xandra

Actually, they're hemipenes ;) And yeah, they're pretty obvious :rofl1: They're easy to sex when they're adults. I'm not planning on breeding, so I'm glad all they had were males. That way there's no egg binding or worrying about keeping calcium levels up for laying eggs. It would be cool to come across a parthenogenic egg, but I'll take the easy male ;)
Ahhh that's embarrassing :rofl1: I knew about hemipenes in monitors and such but I was reading a thread on a herp forum and people called them testicles and I bought it. :eek: His HEMIPENES are impressive, there.

Locke

He's got great head structure!

Congrats on your first crestie, they're fun and so easy to care for!

AllieMackie

Wookie Collie
He's gorgeous! Judging from photos alone, he looks to be a patternless or bicolor (leaning towards bicolor) with dalmation spots (obviously!). Would love to see him fired!

I mean, Ysera looked a bit like Jag in the daytime...

...but fired into this burgundy harlequin.

More pics! You're fueling my crestie want. I miss Ysera like crazy. :(

Saeleofu

He's got great head structure!
I know! I'm impressed that I found one like that in what's ultimately a pet store. Not your average pet store, mind you, but the ones at work who came from the same place don't have heads nearly that nice. All three of the ones they had in stock had really nice structure. I don't plan on breeding, but as the lifespan of a crestie is sort of unknown, I can't guarantee that'll be the case in 10 or 15 years lol

I mean, Ysera looked a bit like Jag in the daytime...

...but fired into this burgundy harlequin.
HOLY CRAP! What a change. Ysera was gorgeous. I really want him to fire up, too, I haven't seen him fired yet. The male at work fires up into a really cool chocolate and green bi-color, but looks pretty similar to Jagger, minus the spots, when he's unfired.

I'll get more pics later on today. I thought he'd jumpy or flighty at first, but he seems to really like being handled. Almost as chill as our female at work.

AllieMackie

Wookie Collie
HOLY CRAP! What a change. Ysera was gorgeous. I really want him to fire up, too, I haven't seen him fired yet. The male at work fires up into a really cool chocolate and green bi-color, but looks pretty similar to Jagger, minus the spots, when he's unfired.

I'll get more pics later on today. I thought he'd jumpy or flighty at first, but he seems to really like being handled. Almost as chill as our female at work.
Thanks! He may not fire up for a while. I know Ysera rarely fired up as a juvenile, especially when I first brought her home. Keep us posted if he has any cool colour combos. :)

Ysera loved being handled. She wouldn't sit still, but she would actively want to handclimb with me. If she got too excited and jumped to my shoulder or head, she would usually return to my hands.

Saeleofu

Thanks! He may not fire up for a while. I know Ysera rarely fired up as a juvenile, especially when I first brought her home. Keep us posted if he has any cool colour combos. :)

Ysera loved being handled. She wouldn't sit still, but she would actively want to handclimb with me. If she got too excited and jumped to my shoulder or head, she would usually return to my hands.
I was getting some stuck shed off his toe pads last night, and he decided my face was where he wanted to be :rofl1: Still hasn't fired up, but I heard him thumping around last night after lights were off. I'm letting him settle in for a week before I start my study, but I'm hoping with the study I'll spot him fire up sooner rather than later. Definitely will keep you all updated!

Saeleofu

MOAR PICTURES!

I was carrying him around while the dogs were out, and he started to fire up a bit. I don't think he was fully fired, but getting there. These pictures don't capture his color well. He was a medium brown with some greenish and a dark stripe down his back, and I *think* I saw some portholes appearing, which I did not expect AT ALL. He also has fringing and knee caps as well as blushing. I just adore his colors.

He's also a pig. I fed him tonight and he didn't just lick at his food, he chomped at it too, because licking just isn't fast enough lol. I made "double recipe" because I like to leave some in all the time, and he easily ate half of it in one sitting.

This one is probably most accurate color-wise, but it still isn't right

CharlieDog

Rude and Not Ginger
I want a Dalmatian! He's super freaking cute! I can't wait to see what he REALLY fires up as, though the beginning stages are adorable! :D

Saeleofu

I got a 12x12x18 Exo Terra on sale for $10 at Petsmart! HOLY CRAP!

He was REALLY fired up while I was setting this up, as I had taken everything out of the tub except for a paper towel. But by the time I was able to get a camera, he was firing down again. I think he may end up being brindle, and he MIGHT have portholes. It's hard to tell, but that area looks different when he fires up.

I have more stuffs to put in this tank, but it was late and I was in a hurry so I could get Lis set up in the bin, since she was stuck in a tiny little critter keeper all day. I hot glued suction cups to the plants to keep them up.

Also, I finally got a scale. Jagger is 25 grams! He still has a good bit of growing to do.

Members online

No members online now.