What kibble would you transition back to?

nikkiluvsu15

Wild At Heart
Unfortunately, I'm having the hardest time finding RAW for Harleigh and it really sucks. I don't think I'm giving her a diverse or complete diet. She also hasn't had very good poop lately, her coat is absolutely gorgeous though! lol

The problem I'm having is deciding what kibble to put her back on. Before we switched to 100% raw she was on Back to Basics Turkey, she did great on that and absolutely LOVED it.

I'd be ordering from PetFoodDirect.com and right now they have Back to Basics Turkey (27lb) with a Back to Basics Duck (4lb) for $71.64 with free shipping.

She has also had samples of Fromm and showed great interest in it, as well as Nature's Variety (ate that for a little while - we rotated)... those two I can get at a local pet store. I also really love Canine Caviar, but I'd have to get that shipped as well.

I guess my main question is, does it matter what I start her back on? Would it be easier on her if she ate something that she has already ate before (and did great on it) or is it okay to try something new?

Thanks and sorry for it being so long, lol.

*blackrose

"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
If you're worried about her diet not being diverse enough or complete enough, maybe you could feed a raw/kibble rotation? I know the logistics of that can be tricky, but then, IMO, you'd be getting the best of both worlds.

If I were to switch her back to kibble, I'd honestly switch her back to something you know she does well on and likes. Then, once that transition is has been made you can try another brand if you want one that is more easily accessible/cheaper. I know if I switched back from raw to kibble and it didn't work out, I'd be wondering if it was the kibble or the switch. If you switch her to a kibble you know she has done well on, you're more likely to know it was the switch that caused the problem, not the kibble. Make sense?

nikkiluvsu15

Wild At Heart
Yeah, that does make sense. I've done the kibble/raw rotation for quite a while (over a year) and might do that again as well. I have no problem getting meats, but organs I cannot find for the life of me!

She probably won't have an issue switching back to kibble, as she has a iron stomach, but I probably will go with something she's been on before. Like Back to Basics or Nature's Variety, I plan on rotating so the others can come at another time.

cliffdog

Have you thought about ordering the organ meats online from places like Hare Today and My Pet Carnivore?

As for the kibble I don't have any recommendations... Good luck!

nikkiluvsu15

Wild At Heart
Yes. I wish I could order from them, but shipping is crazy expensive and not something I can afford. Which sucks, but whatever.

cliffdog

Yes. I wish I could order from them, but shipping is crazy expensive and not something I can afford. Which sucks, but whatever.
It is, that's true. If you buy in bulk, though, you don't have to order often, so you don't have to pay the shipping but once in a blue moon. Just something to think about, but I understand, I can't afford to order it either... No money or a freezer large enough for buying in bulk. I'm only able to feed raw because of a bounty of ethnic markets with strange meats and organs.:rolleyes:
Again, good luck, hope you find a good kibble that works out for you.

JacksonsMom

Posted this in another thread, too, but I am loving Fromm right now (and so is my dog, hehe!) So hopefully I will stick with them for a while now if all continues going well. Love their company. I only wish their kibbles were a BIT larger (as my little dog likes to CHEW, lol) but the duck formula we are feeding now is pretty middle range in regards to kibble size - their Surf and Turf was TINY.

But yeah I vote for Fromm. Back to Basics really interests me but we don't have it available locally and I prefer to buy food in person. I might try to bring in Acana again as he hadn't had that in a while (after he got sick with his GI upset/supposed-pancreatitis, I went to lower fat foods and I've gradually increased, and his stomach has handled everything perfectly fine, as well as perfect bloodwork). So I think maybe I'll do a rotation of Fromm and Acana but we'll see.

Members online

No members online now.