Outdoor cats

HayleyMarie

Like a bat outa' hell
How do you guys deal with outdoor cat issues??

We have new neighbors that just moved into the cul-de-sac that has four outdoor cats. Right now they are just driving Teagan batty and playing on our yard and porch. I just chased one of them off my porch a few minutes ago.

My other neighbor is having huge issues with them peeing and pooping in their yard.

I am worried that A) Teagan will get a hold of one in our back yard and B) the cats starting to **** and crap on my yard.

I honestly don't see the difference between outdoor loose cats and loose dogs running around the cul-de-sac. GAH!

stardogs

Behavior Nerd
Talk to the neighbors for sure. In the mean time, deterrents like citrus oils and motion activated sprinklers may help.

Southpaw

orange iguanas.
We have a leash law here, so the one outdoor cat we had in our neighborhood we called animal control about. We didn't actually know who he belonged to either.

So without that, no clue! How annoying though!

eddieq

Silence! I ban you!
Staff member
"Outdoor cats", otherwise known as "Strays".

Start with a friendly discussion with the neighbors. While I don't fundamentally object to the paintball gun solution (hell, I've suggested it in the past), strafing runs on the cats as an opening salvo doesn't usually go well in regards to neighbor-relations. Presumably you'll be neighbors for a while. No sense in escalating it quickly. Of course, if the discussion doesn't go well, you can always paintball the neighbors themselves.

Romy

Taxiderpy
Go buy a BIG container of cheap, stinky maple syrup.

Catch the cats. If they'll let you pet them, perfect. If you need a live trap that works too.

Give the cats the best massage of their lives and use a generous amount of syrup. Work it down to the skin. Just don't use any artificial sweetener because it's toxic to cats. Otherwise it should be fine. Hopefully the neighbors will decide to keep their cats indoors after them returning like that.

*blackrose

"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
1.) Talk to the neighbors. HOWEVER, seeing as how all four of their cats are outside...doubt they'll do anything, unless the cats are indoor/outdoor cats.

2.) Let your dogs scare the bejesus out of them. I would put Chloe on a flexi lead and say, "Go get that cat!" and she'd barge out the door like hell on four paws to scare the living daylights of whatever loose cat was not supposed to be on our porch. Some kitties got the message and wouldn't come back. Others, not so much.

3.) For those others, we'd trap them. Some were friendly and we could just lure into a cat carrier with food. Others were more tricky. Regardless, kitties would be trapped, then relocated. In our case, they were barn cats and our neighbor didn't even care when they went missing, so we relocated them to a friend of ours who needed barn cats. In the case of a pet kitty, I'd take it to the shelter and if I knew who the owner was, notify the shelter so they could contact the owner. Otherwise, kitty could find a new home.

I like cats, so I'm not inclined to try and hurt them. But overall, if they're outside cats, they're outside cats. I don't particularly mind anything natural that happens either. If my dog gets one, well, tough. I don't care if they pee or poop in my yard, you can put it in with the dog ****, squirrel ****, bird crap, rabbits and whatever else comes thru.

I'd have no issue shoo'ing them away. sprinklers with motion detectors are a good idea. They'll learn to just avoid your place.

Members online