Ticks

Cacey

Hola -- I am an American living in Costa Rica and active in our pet rescue and health system in the small beach town I live in but more importantly, I really love the pup I rescued a year ago.
We have a huge problem this year, ticks. I'm not talking about one, two or ten ticks a day. I'm talking about 150 ticks a day per dog. No one, not even our US trained vet has seen anything like this. As an example of how bad this is, I got a bunch of ticks off Luna by eleven yesterday and when I checked her ears at one, she had eight ticks there alone.
She has been treated with Frontline and with a local similar product called Power Forte but I'm concerned about over using this because of liver damage. We also use Tea Oil dabbed on gauze or on our fingers to kill the ticks.
When I was a kid, we used DDT and more recently Seven Dust which is not available here. I've read about Paramite Dip sponged on. Has anyone used that?
Any help and advise any of you could give would help a whole community of Dogs and Pet Lovers. Thanks.

Maxy24

I think K9 Advantix is supposed to be the best tick killer/repellent out there right now, it's the only one that actually repels ticks, it doesn't only kill them once they've attached. Do you have that available to you?

Aleron

There is a new spot-on on the market too, specifically for ticks (well it does fleas too but it's an improved Frontline for better tick prevention). It's called Certifect.

I don't know how effective any spot-on would in in this situation though. Good luck!

Members online

No members online now.