outside skills not so good

becca_4321

Ok, I have a lot of work to do on Princess with mastering her outdoor skills! Thru the winter I've worked inside with her on sit, stay, lay and she's doing great. I knew I needed to work with her on the outside with walking her but with winter here I didnt do it and I knew with a big yard to run freely she got exercise. So now its like spring out so today was our day for putting her to a real test outside and boy oh boy do I have to work on her!
I decided to take her somewhere other than our yard or street (to many cats in the neighborhood and some neighbors let their dogs run freely). So I took her to our new shop. I filled my pocket full of treats for rewards. Well she acted like she was clueless as to what any command was! She put into high geer the chow power she is developing now. It was awful. So I took her to the drive and there we walked back and forth. When she'd start pulling hard I'd turn and go the other direction. Then worked with her on heel, sit and stay. She wouldnt accept treats. Once she started doing good with that area we moved on to the road (a very lightly traveled street, narrow like a alley). Once again she was doing poorly so we went back and forth. She did great in one direction, the other did poorly. I'm going to let her rest awhile then go work more on it. Is there anything else I can do? I know Monday I plan to get a harness leash for her when we go to the city. For the weekend I think we will just do alot of back and forth until she starts to figure it out.

becca_4321

Well Princess and I worked outside on and off all day. She actually got so she was doing pretty good, well enough she and I walked home. She is so tired now. She pottied then came in, laid down and hasnt moved. Doesnt even care what Kat is up to. I'm thinking I might be in need of a nap too! I think later this evening she and I will go off for another walk, and then hopefully tomorrow the rain wont be bad enough to keep from doing another day of practice. We have had so much rain here we are still flooded.

Good to hear. I had Jake out at the park for a little while on a 26' lead. I'd toss a ball and then when he seemed good and distracted, I'd call him over. We won't discuss how he did the first time, but slowly he got the hang of coming over when I called him. Right now he's peacefully sleeping after a good meal - which is good as I'm taking him out after my dinner for another good run.

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
What a good day for you and your dog...He's so lucky to have such a good owner.

Members online

No members online now.