Show bred Malinois

Tahla9999

Just doing my daily kennel surfing, and I'm wondering if anyone know of a breeder who breeds Malinois for the show ring. Farther down my life, I'm might get a Mal, but more than likely it will be a show bred rather than a working bred.;)

So anyone know of any kennels in mind?

Tahla9999

why get a working breed for a show ring?

From what I heard about Malinois, the show bred ones aren't that different from the working bred. They don't really have the wide split like other breeds, so why not? When I say show, I mean a dog that has won points in the show ring, but it is also being worked in other sports as well.

Not to mention I heard working bred Malinois never get tired, so I want a Mal with a lot of drive and energy, but with a good off switch.:cool: Keep in mind that right now I'm just researching, and don't want to purchase any dog.

AGonzalez

Not a lurker
Well, I will say this. What is the point of getting a working breed if you do not like the working breed temperament.

If you don't want a dog that will herd, don't get a Border Collie. If you don't want a guardian dog, don't get a Rottweiler, if you don't want a dog that is intended to work, don't get a Malinois.

Unfortunately, it's been "pretty" that wins over functional. Of course there are just some dogs that are of a different temperament, but it their function is to work, and IMO that should not be intentionally bred out of them for the show ring. It's those kind of breeders that are attributing to the deleterious conditions of many of our most loved breeds today, and I would not support them.

Dogs6

Plus One
Well, I will say this. What is the point of getting a working breed if you do not like the working breed temperament.

If you don't want a dog that will herd, don't get a Border Collie. If you don't want a guardian dog, don't get a Rottweiler, if you don't want a dog that is intended to work, don't get a Malinois.

Unfortunately, it's been "pretty" that wins over functional. Of course there are just some dogs that are of a different temperament, but it their function is to work, and IMO that should not be intentionally bred out of them for the show ring. It's those kind of breeders that are attributing to the deleterious conditions of many of our most loved breeds today, and I would not support them.
:hail::hail: this

Tahla9999

Hey, hey, please don't misunderstand! I don't want to get a no good, no drive Malinois bred for looks and nothing but. I like a dog with a lot of drive and energy. For the Malinois, I want to get a dog that is bred for show AND working ability. Best of both worlds in my opinion. I can work my dog, and in the same time show him in a competition.

IMO, the people who are able to keep to the standard and the same time work their dogs in the field they are intended to work, are the best breeders. I know that there are breeds that have been ruined by show, but Malinois isn't one of them. You wont see me any where near the show bred GSD or border collies.

corgipower

Tweleve Enthusiest
Any kennel links for me to see this difference? Again, people, this is RESEARCHING.;)
None at the moment.

I have researched. Not by looking at websites, but by owning working line males and by going to dog shows and seeing show bred malis in person.

Tahla9999

None at the moment.

I have researched. Not by looking at websites, but by owning working line males and by going to dog shows and seeing show bred malis in person.
Then please, share your input on show bred Mals. My ears are opened.

And if anyone knows of any show Malinois kennel, please post it. If I find that the show bred Malinois are too different, too far gone from what they originally were and have no drive what so ever, then they aren't for me.

colliewog

Collies&Terriers, Oh My!
If you Google "working Belgian Malinois breeders", lots will come up. (I don't like posting breeders' sites without permission ...)

These are the winner pics from the 2009 Belgian Malinois National Specialty - all events from confo to herding/rally/obedience : RaineImages 2009 ABMC National Specialty Order Page. I'm going to say most of these are versatile conformation line dogs as opposed to working line dogs ...

A lot of the difference you SEE is size and conditioning - the working line dogs seem to be kept thinner and you can see the muscle tone, even under the double coat. Personality is a whole 'nother ball game.

JennSLK

F150 and a .30-06
Now, Im not endorsing any of these kennels, but Im not NOT endorsing them. You just wanted links.

Home

This breeder seems to be a nice mix of show with working titles. MalinGer Kennels - home

Mac Ten

If you really look you should be able to find a dog that could finish it's Ch and go on to agility, OB, Shutzhund, ect..

JennSLK

F150 and a .30-06
The OP just wanted links to show breeders to open up the discusion. I dont condone any of the breeders or NOT condone them

corgipower

Tweleve Enthusiest
Not to mention I heard working bred Malinois never get tired, so I want a Mal with a lot of drive and energy, but with a good off switch.:cool:
A good working line malinois should have an off switch. It's hard to find, but absolutely does exist.

Brandyb

MalinGer Kennels - blade

Wow. :mad:
Sad to say, that's not an uncommon size in the show ring. :wall:
I've met dogs from this kennel, and I can say with some experience, that she has VERY nice dogs. The dogs I met had fantastic temperaments and are suitable for a number of different venues (she does conformation, agility, OB, ring and sch). I wouldn't care so much about the size, but rather the type, temperament and quality that the breeder is breeding for, as well as ability in what you're looking for (active pet, OB competitor, agility competitor, ring or sch etc. etc.). Granted Blade is a little large, she has some really nice small to mid size girls.
If you don't want over-the-top-crazy-never-sit-still dog, don't get a purely sport bred dog. Though I don't show, and personally I dislike it, a good mix of show ring and working blood seem to be a nice, easier to handle combo in a mal. They are awesome dogs, but make sure to question breeders when you look as they can be more than a handful for owners who are not prepared for their intelligence, stamina and temperaments - especially the sport bred lines.
AREK malinois is another you could look into, but their website is no longer up, so I'm not sure if their breeding any more. Malinger is the one that I would recommend.

JennSLK

F150 and a .30-06
Size is a HUGE thing in a sports dog. You really think a 150lb doberman can do its job? The same thing goes with Mals. Type falls under size too BTW

Tahla9999

Thank you for your inputs.

Corgipower, I don't doubt that there are working bred Malinois with off switches, which is why I'm starting now. I'm researching the breed right now, not because I want one now, but because when the time do come, I'd be able to have good ideal on both show and working lines. From across the pond, to the dogs right here in USA. When I finally chose whether or not I want a Malinois or not, or whether I want one from strictly working lines, it would be until I have experience handling both dogs - show and working.

I don't share the negative opinions on show breeders that many of you have. It isn't black and white to me. I cherish having the entire package. A dog that can do the job it is bred to do, but can also get out on the conformation ring. I am aware that there are breeds that are too far change from what they were originally and lack the drive to do their work, and all that due to breeders breeding strictly for show. And for those breeds who show lines ruin them that I am interested in, then I will get them from strictly working lines.

Staff online

Members online