Not a problem but a question on behavior..

Chrome

Looking for some insight into why my dog does this: We got an adult dog from the pound a couple of years ago and she does a really bizarre thing. Whenever we will call her over to play or rub ears, she will dance around for a while and go searching for one of her chew toys. Once she finds one, she will come over to us, but she will rarely come over to us without holding something in her mouth. She doesn't want to play tug with it and rarely "presents" it to us as a present (she does do that occasionally) but usually just requires something in her mouth when we call her over. Any ideas on what's up?

Chrome

She is a mutt of no specific breed. Maybe some Collie in there, she's kind of got the collie snout...uhm. She's gold! (shrugs) seriously....Heinz dog.

The reason I was asking is that often you can find a clue to your dog's behaviour by looking at what the breed or dominant breed's purpose is; herding, guarding, retrieving, hunting, etc.

It could be some kind of learned behaviour from her previous situation, or it could just be an amusing and individual little quirk that she's come up with on her own, or it could even be a habit she developed before she came to your home, possibly having to hang onto something that was hers to keep another dog from stealing it while her attention is on you.

She may continue to do this during her entire life, or she may eventually decide it's not necessary anymore.

Whatever her reason, it sounds like something an intelligent dog would figure out, and I'll bet it's adorable when she does it.

Free or Low Cost Advertising

Hey everyone..do you guys know of any free or low cost sites that will let me post my business info?
Thanks,

Millie

I don't think thats very unusual for your dog to do that. Whenever we have company over my dog will search the house for a bone and then greet them. He is not happy until he has that bone. Then he will lay by their feet and chew on his bone. It might just make her feel good.

Chrome

Thanks Millie and Renee. It is really cute when she does it, it's just funny because we sometimes have to wait for several minutes while she finds her "sociable toy". We just took the furkids to a weekend at the river and they are so tired they have been sleeping since we got home. They had loads of fun playing adventure-dogs though.

Members online

No members online now.