fat free treats

Are carrots fattening? i know they have a lot of sugar in and are fattening to rabbits but I am not sure about dogs?

showpug

No, not if they are given in moderation. Anything can add weight if a dog is fed too much at once. Green beans are a good alternative as well. :)

Mordy

Quigleyfied
if you feed whole carrots, the dogs won't be able to digest much of them anyway because they can't break down the cell walls of plant material.

Thanks because Barney is a little tubby, he keeps pinching the puppy food naughty boy lol, so i wanted to be able to give him a carrot (they are his fave) when the others have a more fattening treat, he hates green beans, lol so do I, what else can I give the little porker?

I asked my vet about feeding dogs carrots, because my dogs love them and would dig them up out of the garden!!! :D She said that they were a good healthy treat and she gives her dogs a carrot a day before leaving to work. My dogs love to gnaw on them and it's good for their body. As far as I know their fat free.

Mordy

Quigleyfied
pieces of apple or banana are also good, any berries or veggies - just don't give grapes or onions. any vegetable matter they don't get cooked or pureed barely gets digested, so you can pick and choose from what you have available. just be careful with cabbage type veggies, many dogs get gassy if they eat too much of them raw. e.g. my quigley loves broccoli stems but if i give too much, i know i'll regret it later. :D

Members online

No members online now.