I suck at training...

MisssAshby

Richy Rich HM Twit!
I feel like such a complete failure. I have been working with Nomi for months and she just doesn't seem to be improving. She KNOWS the commands but flat out refuses to do them unless there is food involved and even then she will still sometimes flat out ignore me as if I'm not even there.

So, I guess I'm going to give in and get signed up for some training with a trainer. I don't mind paying the money but I want to make sure that I'm getting what I'm paying for.

I know this is a large place instead of an indiviual trainer but I have heard pretty good things about them. Does this look like a decent place?

www.myk9u.com

R

RedyreRottweilers

All trainers feel frustration at times. :D

A class or instructor is probably a good idea. Your results likely have to do with your timing, maybe your body language, maybe both.

Don't give up, just get another take on things from someone with a little more experience.

corgipower

Tweleve Enthusiest
Don't feel like a failure. We all hit rough patches in our training. Classes might be a good idea if you're struggling. Also, if you post specific problems, there are many people here who can help.

If she isn't doing the commands, then she doesn't know them in that context. Has she been proofed for that situation? Has she been proofed for enough situations that she can generalize? Have you done a variable reinforcement schedule?

I know this is a large place instead of an indiviual trainer but I have heard pretty good things about them. Does this look like a decent place?

www.myk9u.com
I don't like the website. It looks like all the dogs wear prong collars. And they hide the fact under bandanas. And I have issues with this statement:

Over the years, we have developed modern patented training techniques that helps us teach you how to communicate with your dog reliably. Understanding that the domestic dog's primary duty is to please its' master, it is then crucial that we establish a clear line of communication between the two of you. Once you learn how to communicate, there are typically no limits to what you may be able to do together.
A "modern patented training technique"?? IME, that usually means correction based. "the domestic dog's primary duty is to please its' master"?!? Since when? Nobody told my dogs that!

lizzybeth727

Sorry, but I don't like the sound of that place. At one point they say "dog's primary duty is to please its' master" which sadly, is not necessarily true. I think any professional trainer who has been working any decent amount of time has met dogs who just don't really care about people and would be perfectly content spending their whole lives in the company of other dogs or by themselves.

They also don't talk in enough detail about the methods they use to train, but do mention that in the beginning obedience class they teach you how to use corrections, which makes me think they're not clicker trainers, and not good positive reinforcement trainers if that is what they call themselves.

I did a quick search on apdt.com, and found this one: http://www.listenuppup.com/services.htm which looks a whole lot better IMO. I'd suggest going to apdt.com and reading the article about how to find a trainer, then go from there.

Good luck!

lizzybeth727

Again: "We use motivational techniques balanced with fair corrections that encourage the utmost in willingness from your dog." They do give you a leash and "training collar," but again that's probably a prong or choke collar. I also don't like how they spend a lot of time talking about why you shouldn't go to a petsmart/co trainer, which I just believe is unprofessional to put up on the website like that. They should've just spent the time telling us about why they're so good, not why other trainers are bad. JMO, of course.

corgipower

Tweleve Enthusiest
"Nearly every recognized breed of dog has been through the school, from pure bred champions to those of doubtful parentage (mixed breed)" Huh? My dog's a mix, but I don't doubt she has parents!;)

Besides that, no mention of training methods used. :confused:

Lizzy, you missed this, which I am scratching my head over, trying to figure out what it actually says:

OCOTC focuses on the encouragement of interest in Obedience training and showing of all breeds of dogs; the holding of classes for the purpose of instructing individuals in the proper procedures of training them to train their dogs in obedience; and the encouragement and holding of Obedience Trials under the rules and regulations of the American Kennel Club (AKC).
And this:

We have promising plans for the next 50 years.
I am all for planning ahead. But 50 years?? :yikes:

Members online