A little worried

Richie12345

Hi, I am a little worried about how my dad is going to potty train my future Harrier puppy. My father says whenever the puppy pees on the floor, he will grab the puppy's head put his nose against where he peed on the carpet and go "NO! BAD DOG!" and when he pees where he is suppose to praise him with treats and stuff.

I am a little worried he might be too rough, he says that he has done it with all of his dogs, and it worked. I am still worried tho... what do you guys think?

-Richie

P.S. I have a puppy book that says not too scold the puppy, but I am not sure if he will use that method.

bridey_01

Kelpiefied
*sigh*
Very, very, very wrong. This doesn't teach your puppy not to go in the house. It teaches your puppy that your Dad is unpredictable and extremely violent, and that he should avoid that person at all costs.Rubbing his nose in it teaches him nothing, except to pee where no one will see him so that he won't be attacked again.
Dogs that seem to learn this way learn in spite of these awful techniques, not because of them.
Your Dad needs to upgrade his knowledge on doggy behaviour and let go of those medieval techniques.

You need to get a copy of Grammy's favorite book, How to Raise a Puppy You Can Live With and read it and discuss it with your Dad. You - and your dog - might be a lot better off if you found a young adult dog through a breed rescue and bypass the puppy stuff.

Richie12345

Renee750il said:
...might be a lot better off if you found a young adult dog through a breed rescue and bypass the puppy stuff.
I know for sure that I can handle a puppy. I am determined to change my father, he is stubborn, but so am I. I will make sure he realizes that his old method is incorrect. I just wanted to be sure this was not the right way. Thank you

juliefurry

Rusty but Trusty
I got a really cheap puppy book from my grandma from wal-Mart. It wasn't too good but it did tell you some good stuff. I like that it immediately put the NILIF program into your puppies schedule from the time that the puppy is brought into your home. I don't think I would of had as many problems as I have had if I used that training method from the start.

Barb04

Super Moderator
Rubbing his nose in it will just put on the scent on his nose and now everthing will smell like pee and the pup will want to pee everywhere. It's how my parents trained a dog years ago but today's methods work much better. The old method only puts fear into the dog.

Rubbing his nose in it won't work at all, personally I think it's one of the dumbest methods out there.

Are you sure you're ready to have your furniture torn apart, and your shoes peed in LOL? Believe me - puppies are suuuper hard.

Fran27

It's really dumb when you think about it too. I mean, if the dog is peeing, he knows he's peeing, it's a bit useless to put his nose in it just in case he hadn't noticed :rolleyes:

Members online