Questions about Royal Canin?? And some more foods...

Well, I saw this at Petsmart, and I was wondering if Royal Canin is a good food? Since Iams dry might be recalled, and its crappy anyways, I need to know this, please. :) I am going to get this mission accomplished by feeding them higher qualities of food! I got Hershey's accomplished, now its Lucky, Hunter, and Mika's turn!
This food...

http://www.petsmart.com/global/prod...5&itemNo=6&In=Cat&N=2025543+4294966563&Ne=374

And then the Blue Buffalo, which would be better to feed Lucky, Hunter, and Mika??

http://www.petsmart.com/global/prod...6&itemNo=2&In=Cat&N=2025543+4294966571&Ne=374

And can you get both foods in 20 pound bags? I think that would last longer. ;) For all of the kitties. Thank you!

Zoom

Twin 2.0
It's ok, but I believe I read something about parts of the Royal Canin either getting recalled or are the subject of a lawsuit. There are better things out there, and for what you're paying, Canidae will work so much better. It will cost about the same for a 40 lb bag of Canidae as it will for a 40lb bag of RC.

FoxyWench

Salty Sea Dog
theres 1 case where some woman is supposedly suing royal canin for some random thing but it seems strange that this suit is immediatly following the menu foods recall and is just one person. there also no real details.

royal canin is a good food, not THE best but definatly one of the better foods.
the thing i like most about RC foods is its a food that most picky eaters seem to like!
My chis get a mix of RC mini adult and RC Chihuahua (were also feeding merrick kibble alternating)
my chihuhuas are extreemly picky eaters, they turned their noses up at timberwolf, canidae nutro, chickensoup ect, but love both merrick foods and royal canin. they are doing great on the food, good condition, nice coat, 1-2 small firm poops a day (depending on how much in terms of treats theyve had) no gas, no bad smell, good teeth and most importantly its one of the few foods they will actually willingly eat.

price wise its a little expensive for what it is, especially for the big bags, but their breed specific foods are awsome! I have bulldog customers who swear by the RC bulldog formular where other foods agrivated many health problems in their breed.
I think like all food, its also a matter of finding what works best for your dog.

MafiaPrincess

Obvious trollsare Obvious
Royal Canin Canada is in a current lawsuit. Their vitamin D level were out of whack and caused renal issues as well. When Canidae is about the same price with better ingredients.. I'd go with Canidae.

Mar 21, 2007 01:46 PM
Curtis Rush
Staff Reporter
Two Toronto law firms have jointly filed a national class action lawsuit against pet food manufacturer Royal Canin Canada Co. seeking $60 million in damages.
Law firms Rochon Genova LLP and Himelfarb Proszanski LLP are seeking compensation for all those who purchased Royal Canin dog or cat food since Aug. 1, 2004.

The claim is not related to the recall last Friday of 60 million tins of pet food manufactured by Menu Foods Income Fund of Mississauga after 9 animals died as a result of taste tests administered by Menu Foods. In total, 14 animals have died in the U.S.

Wheat gluten is suspected. The product was traced to the Menu Foods facility in Emporia, Kansas. The recall affects various canned products made at that plant between Dec. 3 and March 6.

No official reports of death have been documented in Canada, but the pet food industry is not regulated in this country so it is hard to determine numbers of pets affected since there is no central reporting agency.

Royal Canin Canada, based in Guelph, said in a statement that no Royal Canin Canada products are linked to any current safety issues regarding Menu Foods.

However, Menu Foods is at the centre of at least one lawsuit in the U.S.

The legal action against Royal Canin alleges that certain types of dog or cat food contain excessive amounts of Vitamin D, which causes illness or death in pets.

The proposed lead plaintiff is Janet Grixti of Whitby, who said her 5-year-old Chocolate Labrador Retriever named Mocha developed chronic renal failure and will have to endure this condition for the rest of his life.

The allegations have not been proven in court.

Royal Canin said today it will not comment publicly because the matter is before the courts.

Meantime, the Mississauga-based company at the centre of the massive pet-food recall says veterinary scientists from Cornell University in Ithaca, N.Y., are leading the search for the ingredient suspected of killing cats and dogs in Canada and the U.S.

"Everybody is concerned, but we're working around the clock to get to the bottom of this," said Menu Foods spokesperson Sarah Tuite. The company has given the scientists samples of suspect food and also tissue from animals that died.

Stephen Sundlof, director of the Center for Veterinary Medicine, which is part of the U.S. Food and Drug Administration, said his agency has been flooded with calls, some reporting that pets died after eating.

About a dozen pet owners and vets have called the Toronto Star with suspicions of animals becoming ill or dying after eating the suspect food.

Menu Foods told the FDA it received the first complaints of kidney failure and deaths among cats and dogs from pet owners on Feb. 20. It began testing to find the source on Feb. 27.

During those tests, the company fed its product to 40 to 50 dogs and cats, Sundlof said. The breakdown of dead cats and dogs wasn't immediately known but he said the contamination appeared more deadly to cats.

Menu Foods has reported it knows of just nine dead cats and one dog.

Meantime, Menu Foods' CEO Paul Henderson told Canadian Press today that initial reports of illness and death did not immediately raise any alarms.

Henderson said Menu Foods consulted veterinarians who cared for the affected animals.

He said the vets believed the pets were outdoor animals that had somehow ingested some type of poison.

It was only when six animals died during routine taste tests of the food in the second week of March that the company launched an investigation leading to last Friday’s recall.

Henderson he says his heart goes out to worried pet owners for their distress.

Lisa Clarke told the Star yesterday her 9-year-old German Shepherd-Labrador mix suddenly started ailing seven weeks ago after eating some of the food.

The dog became extremely thirsty and, two days later, went into seizures and was admitted to a vet clinic for tests and medication. "He survived, but it also cost us $3,000," said the Toronto resident.

No cause was confirmed. She has tried unsuccessfully to contact Menu Foods.

"My vet says we have to run a bunch more tests. I don't know what to do," she said, adding she wants Menu Foods to pay for any additional screening. "We love our dog to death, but we can't afford $2,500 for an MRI for our dog."

At the Super Pet store on Yonge St. near Lawrence Ave. dozens of concerned customers have been phoning.

"In this area people treat their pets like their children," said the store's Nikki Vanhuisstede.

Though the shop carried at least one product on the recall list, she said there's no shortage of similar pet foods that weren't on the list.

Vanhuisstede said wet foods account for about 25 per cent of overall food sales at the store and the specific type of wet food on the list only accounts for about 5 per cent.

Menu Foods says it now has two toll-free numbers – 1-866-895-2708 and 1-866-463-6738 – for pet owners to call after reports that thousands of people couldn't get through. Information is also available at the website http://www.menufoods.com/recall.

http://www.thestar.com/News/article/194285

MafiaPrincess

Obvious trollsare Obvious
Clearer article with less menu foods talk.

Petfood maker Royal Canin hit with lawsuit

Updated Tue. Mar. 20 2007 10:31 PM ET

Canadian Press

TORONTO -- A Canadian class action lawsuit has been filed against pet food maker Royal Canin Canada Co. on behalf of dog and cat owners claiming that certain products contain excessive amounts of vitamin D and have caused their pets to become sick or die.

One of the lawyers handling the plaintiffs' case said the suit against Royal Canin has been in the works for months and is unrelated to the high-profile problems that have come to light at Menu Foods Income Fund (TSX:MEW.UN), a major North American pet food maker that announced last week it was recalling dozens of brands of "cuts and gravy" style products.

In the United States, a Chicago woman sued Menu Foods on Tuesday, alleging the Canadian pet food manufacturer delayed announcing a recall of 60 million containers of dog and cat food despite knowing its products were contaminated and potentially deadly, the Associated Press reports.

Menu said it had not seen the suit and had no comment.

The suit against Royal Canin, filed Tuesday in the Ontario Superior Court, alleges the pet food maker -- a subsidiary of a French company -- either knew or should have known the levels of vitamin D were unsafe and could cause the animals to develop high levels of calcium in their blood, renal failure and other conditions.

None of the allegations have yet to be tested in court.

The Canadian lawsuit is seeking compensation for people who bought Royal Canin dog or cat food since Aug. 1, 2004.

Joel Rochon, a lawyer for the plaintiffs, said he wants the company cover the cost of veterinarian services related to the health problems, as well as the replacement cost of pets that have died, and reimburse the price of the food.

The claim outlines at least 59 Royal Canin products that it says should be included in the refund.

The lawsuit has been filed by law firms Rochon Genova LLP and Himelfarb Proszanski LLP.

Rochon said the case has been in development for up to six months and is not directly related a pet food recall issued by Menu Foods but Rochon added that his firm has been retained for a case involving Menu.

While a class action suit hasn't been filed in the Menu Foods case, "it looks like we're heading in that direction,'' Rochon said.

Menu, which is based in the Toronto area, said Friday it was recalling some of its dog and cat food and conducting tests after receiving feedback that about 10 pets had suffered kidney damage after eating the firm's products.

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20070320/royal_canin_070320/20070320/

Maxy24

Just in case you guys didn't know she is talking about feeding her cats not Hershey ;) Sorry I'm not great with food, I am also in the middle of trying to convince my Dad to change my cat's food from Purina cat chow indoor formula to Felidae but he keeps putting it off. You should see if you can find Felidae near you.

Its ok, that they are talking about Hershey, lol, I feed him Sensible Choice, which has Royal Canin on it, and I think it is part of it, information would be awesome about it, and its fine. ;) But, I can't argue with my mom about it, she said she pays for it, and she gets to chose. :rolleyes: If they weren't spending it all on boozes, then they would have plenty..

Luvntzus

Well, Canidae is very reasonably priced, so I would think that Felidae is in the same price range. I recommend either that or Chicken Soup for the Cat Lover's Soul. :)

Members online

No members online now.