How do you explain what it's like to have a dog?

yoko

A lady I know that I use to work with got out of a very abusive relationship a few months ago. She's doing great now has a stable job, her own place, and is really happy. She's never had a pet and has been planning on getting a dog.

She's really responsible and has been researching like crazy. She's already bought toys, found a vet she wants to use, has a crate, picked a food and found a training class she wants to go to.

She's trying to find her dog now and is really excited but is also kind of nervous. She's asked me a few times what it's like to have a dog and I really don't know how to answer it. I guess I've never really thought about it and I feel kind of dumb just saying 'it's great'.

So how would you explain it to someone who has never owned any pets and grew up without friends who had pets either?

Muttkip

LABRADERP!
It's like having a best friend that you know will never turn their back on you, will love you forever and will always no matter what be there for you. They're loyal and amazing and a life without a dog is not a life at all.

JacksonsMom

Good question. It's so natural to me now and second nature.

It's kind of like having a kid, IMO... except you can leave them at home alone for some hours ;) Lol... but otherwise, you now have another life to be responsible for. You can no longer just stay out for as long as you want, or only think about yourself (or your human family). Plans must be made according to your dogs needs. It's like always having a friend there for you and someone who will love you no matter how sad you are, how weird you are, or how nuts you may be acting, haha. That devotion, love and loyalty of a dog is like nothing else you will experience. And while sometimes it can be hard, once they make their way into your heart, it's hard to imagine your life without them.

Kat09Tails

*Now with Snark*
You know... I've never had to explain it to anyone who didn't have a dog. Most people either have a dog or don't and really don't want one.

Personally I've had a hard time understanding the appeal of cats except for those too busy to have a dog.

Red.Apricot

It's like having the most uncomplicated friendship ever.

It's like having a non-verbal two year old that wants to kill small animals.

It's like having someone who won't care if you're not perfect, because you're the best anyway. It's not having to worry about pushing the hike too long or turning back too soon, because you know they're just happy to be out. It's getting to be excited every day because something new and amazing happened through the dog. It's getting to watch something filled with joy over nothing, and filled with rage over nothing. It's that moment when you realize that you're sharing your bed with something very close to a wolf that loves you.

And for me, it's reaching for my towel only to have to stumble out of the shower and into the bedroom to see Elsie dancing away with it as a joke.

I think mostly it's what you put into the relationship. They're mirrors.

Shai

& the Muttly Crew
It's like having the most uncomplicated friendship ever.

It's like having a non-verbal two year old that wants to kill small animals.

It's like having someone who won't care if you're not perfect, because you're the best anyway. It's not having to worry about pushing the hike too long or turning back too soon, because you know they're just happy to be out. It's getting to be excited every day because something new and amazing happened through the dog. It's getting to watch something filled with joy over nothing, and filled with rage over nothing. It's that moment when you realize that you're sharing your bed with something very close to a wolf that loves you.

And for me, it's reaching for my towel only to have to stumble out of the shower and into the bedroom to see Elsie dancing away with it as a joke.

I think mostly it's what you put into the relationship. They're mirrors.
And it's like waking up in the middle of the yard at 4am in the morning in a snowdrift in your PJs and wondering why you're there then having a dog puke on your foot and suddenly remembering hearing the hyul hyuk sound from deep within a dream and racing for the door with furry beast in tow.

Plus all that other good stuff. Yeah.

;)

Red.Apricot

And it's like waking up in the middle of the yard at 4am in the morning in a snowdrift in your PJs and wondering why you're there then having a dog puke on your foot and suddenly remembering hearing the hyul hyuk sound from deep within a dream and racing for the door with furry beast in tow.

;)
Or laying in a humid hotel room on the 4th of July trying to sleep while your dogs alert you to every strange sound all night long.

Or coming home to your sketchbook in tiny pieces spread through the whole house and realizing you have to either kill the dog or get over it.

yoko

Those are all better than my 'it's... fun?'

Only difference is when Yoshi starts the pukey heaves she runs to my bathroom I can't get outside from my room fast enough so we go to the bathroom and she pukes in my toilet.

swabby

Dogs are a little glimpse into our lives.

The dogs of my youth are not the dogs of this day and time. Every one of them was wonderful, but my dogs..these days..do not have to crawl in a backpack, endure miles of cycling, only to hide..until I am done with classes.

They are so much a mirror. So flexible, unique and endearing.:)

Laurelin

I'm All Ears

;)
Or having to work all day then go to a doctor's appointment then get sick and try to go to bed early only to find out your dog won't sleep because she's bored because you haven't paid attention to her that day.

Or the time I woke up in time for Summer to projectile vomit into my face. That was wonderful too.

Members online

No members online now.