Epagnuel Breton/Brittany

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
Just a question in case anyone knows but are French Brittanies very common in the US? The reason I am asking is there is this gorgeous dog that I keep seeing at the dog park. This couple has a stunning pure chocolate german shorthaired pointer and this this black and white brittany and it's gorgeous! It has wavier hair than usual too and appears a bit more stocky.

Do American Brittanies come in black? Or is it a Breton?

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
Also, does anyone know the difference as far as temperament goes between the two breeds? I'm just curious because I really could see myself with a brittany one day.

It looked a lot like this dog:

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
I see they have a national breed club so I'm guessing there are at least a few in the US. Very pretty dog.

There's no other similar looking sporting types that are more common in the US are there?

JacksonsMom

I like Brittany Spaniels for their name ;) otherwise, I have no idea about them, but I think they are gorgeous dogs.

happyhound

French britts aren't generally sold as pets, so you may have a hard time getting one if you only wanted a pet.

The Braque du Bourbonnais and Braque Francais are also French pointers, but shorthaired and look like a smaller GSP. Bourbonnais have natural bob tails like Britts. Small Munsterlanders sort of look like Britts (but with tails), and are gaining popularity.. my neighbor has one and it is a nice dog.

But again, the less common sporting breeds are less likely to be sold as only pets. Not to say it doesn't happen, but those breeders generally want to sell to hunting homes.

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
Munsterlanders sort of look like Britts (but with tails), and are gaining popularity.. my neighbor has one and it is a nice dog.
That is what I thought of when I saw the picture.

CharlieDog

Rude and Not Ginger
My only Brittany experience had been with American Britts, and my god. I don't know if it was just the dog I had or what, but he was nutso and was not people oriented at all. He came out of really really good stock, and was all about the birds, but he didn't want anything to do with me at all.

The other few Brittanys I've been around have all been crazy as well. The others were more into people, but they were all out of show lines, unlike the first dog, and they were all under two, so I don't know if they mellow out or what. They put the Lab puppies to SHAME, lol

SizzleDog

Lord Cynical
I have met quite a few, they show in UKC up in Minnesota - neat dogs. All I've met have been... um... very active dogs - no ideal for the show ring, much more at home in the field.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
Yeah sporting dog type energy kind of scares me to be honest. I'd much rather deal with high energy herders.

My dad keeps saying he wants another bird dog though. He's more interested in retrievers, GSPs, and English Pointers.

Michiyo-Fir

Eek! Every dog breed I like people seem to be having a problem with in their area?

I love Brittanys :) I really highly prefer the American type over the type Laurelin saw/was showing pics of. I don't like the build of the French ones very much at all.

I don't find Brittanys to be as high energy as you guys describe O_O The ones I've met are pretty calm and biddable dogs.

Members online

No members online now.