Sudden decrease in appetite..

Debi

Hammie is now 7 mos. old and up til now has been eating twice a day. (Addie still does, too) I like splitting up the food..just seems to me nicer than once a day so that they never feel too hungry. Suddenly, within the past 3 days, Hammie doesn't want the afternoon food at all. I would think it was the heat, except we haven't really been hot. He seems the same, activity wise....just seems so odd to me that he doesn't have the appetite I'm used to. He would eat his biggest meal at midday usually. He's pretty big....I hate thinking that suddenly he is only getting half of what he should be. He's still a growing pup. Should I just ride this out...knowing they will eat when hungry?? Or would you worry? THANKS. :)

iky

Debi, I have noticed that Codi is doing the exact same thing, he will only eat if you give him food from your hand, he plain out refuses to eat if you give him food in his dish. I was a little worried at first, but I think he is just trying to get a little more attention with all that has been happening to Buddy, I think he feels out. Has something maybe happened that could make Hammie feel a little left out? It has now been 2 weeks since he eats his food, he only eats just after 5pm when my mom feeds him from her hand.

You might want a check up with the vet to rule out anything untoward. At 7 months he's still growing, but not at the incredible rate of the first 6 months, so it might be a combination of that and a seasonal decrease in appetite. I really would make a call to the vet at least, though.

Iky, it sounds like Codi's a manipulative little beast just like my Kharma! ;)

iky

You got that right Renee, he is very much the manipulative little beast. he had such attitude with the vet yesterday, the vet asked me if he is always like this and if he gets taught any manner at home. The vet also called him a little drama queen. The vet tried to give him a treat and he just turned around and went and sat in the corner. I say he has the right to like and dislike whoever he wants! He has a very unique personality, keeps us all on our toes.

Members online

No members online now.