Is this the only active dog forum?

BMPowers said:
I have been looking for the last few days for a couple different active dog forums and I can't seem to find any that are as active or as nearly active as this one is...Has everyone else found this to be true?Surprising that I can't find a place where there are more than a couple hundred people talking and asking about their pets.BP
Most forums are pretty much doomed from the getgo because the creators and the moderators and the first 20 regulars form an impenetrable 'kaffee klatsch" of evil. Chaz has an alarming number of moderators (no offense to anyone, but it's inescapably true that the more moderators, the worse the forum) but while I still think wistfully of the Guardian (Brit newspaper) site, where everything went, this is less obsessively over-moderated than most.

One example is the about.com dog forum, which is sometimes fun, but usually just really, really tiresome. The motto appears to be 'agree of else,' which is, of course, no fun at all.

Saje

Island dweller
Hey if you had to see all the spam and nonsense we had to deal with you'd get the idea lol.

Roxy's CD said:
How does the amount of moderators affect how "good" or "bad" the forum is? I don't understand that statement.
Because if there's a minimum of moderators, they're kept busy dealing with the big, pressing problems - spam, ads, etc. - that everyone wants taken care of. When there are too many moderators, they have the time to go beyond the neccessary tasks and get creative. That's where there starts being a disagreement between moderators and members, when the moderators begin to form a standard of behavior that isn't necessary - only appealing to some people. To use an example from the real world, everyone wants some form of police available to enforce laws, but many people hate having an official group (town committee, tenants' association) enforcing regulations like what color you can paint your house.

To use an example from the real world, everyone wants some form of police available to enforce laws, but many people hate having an official group (town committee, tenants' association) enforcing regulations like what color you can paint your house.
The only color regulation we have is that "blue" posts be a moderately light blue . . .

MomOf7

Evil Kitty taco eater
casablanca1 said:
Because if there's a minimum of moderators, they're kept busy dealing with the big, pressing problems - spam, ads, etc. - that everyone wants taken care of. When there are too many moderators, they have the time to go beyond the neccessary tasks and get creative. That's where there starts being a disagreement between moderators and members, when the moderators begin to form a standard of behavior that isn't necessary - only appealing to some people. To use an example from the real world, everyone wants some form of police available to enforce laws, but many people hate having an official group (town committee, tenants' association) enforcing regulations like what color you can paint your house.
I have been a member of such a forum. Glad I found Chaz!!

unite

Active Pup
Building sites like these is very time consuming and takes forever to get the community off the ground. We own several very high profile forums with 20,000+ members and it has take years to develop them. I would imagine this site has been around for some time to have a following like this. One reason this site does so well is the people here. They all seem to be very pleasant and full of information. Not to mention the owner has done a good job maintaining the site.

Harley style

small and stylin'
good to know there are other boards out there. I was wondering about that. I will have to check them out.

thanks

Members online

No members online now.