Need flat iron help!

*blackrose

"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
My second CHI just died on me, and I've about had enough of that. Exact same issue as last time - I heard a little pop and now one of the plates won't heat up at all. Grrrrr. The first time it happened it was under warranty...but since the CHI I have now was my free warranty replacement, I'm not sure if it has a warranty!

So, anyways, I'm on the market for a new flat iron. Preferably one that won't crap out on me after 8 months, especially if it costs me $100+.

I have a Target giftcard for $45, so I would like to purchase a flat iron from there, so I can afford to get a more expensive one.

What is the best flat iron that target sells? I saw that they carry the CHI brand, and while I've never had any issue with my CHI actually working on my hair, the fact that they keep breaking has me loathe to try them again.

I have very thick, very frizzy, naturally wavy hair. I need the hottest of the hot to even make my hair think about being straight. Even with the CHI, my hair wouldn't hold its style for more than a day. Sometimes it didn't even make it through the day. Although I probably need the top of the line best of the best, I can't afford it...so good, but not more than $100ish total (from Target) would be very nice. :)

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
I've heard the GHD flat irons are better than the CHI, but they aren't cheap.

I own a Babyliss one I bought from TJMaxx on the cheap and it works great, goes to 450 degrees just like the GHD and CHI. I'm not sure if Target has them, or if the BedHead ones they have are that high quality... but as long as it goes to 450 you should be pretty good. Don't mess with anything that doesn't get that hot, it will be a waste of money!

Southpaw

orange iguanas.
I have a GHD and it is pretty awesome. I'm sure they're expensive though... but I got it for Christmas a couple years ago, and it was discounted since my sister is a hair stylist. =P

But my hair is probably similar to yours - very thick and frizzy and out of control if left to its own devices. I don't straighten my hair very often anymore, but I do really really like my GHD. Before this, I had one from Ceramic Tools (I think?) and that was okay and got the job done, but wasn't as awesome.

That probably doens't help though since I don't think you'll find that brand at Target!

crazedACD

I've always used the Wet 2 Straight irons (I don't straighten wet though). I went through a bunch of shite ones (and kept returning them!) before I found this one. I found it to be one of the best "Under $40". That said, I've never used a CHI or any of them that are really expensive. My mom has a Wet 2 Straight too.

Oh..and I'm on my second one in maybe 10 years, but only because I left the first one in a hotel.

RedHotDobe

aka RedHotBabe
I bought a BedHead Rockstar from Target. I think it was around $80. It worked fine, but died on me fairly quick. It just suddenly wouldn't stay on and would turn itself on and off whenever it wanted to. I have a CHI I bought from Target now. Haven't had any problems so far.

*blackrose

"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
I went ahead and bought a Remington flat iron...the "new" one with kerotine "built in". I tried it out on my hair tonight, and it worked really well! Now I just hope it stays working really well, although it has a 4 year warrenty on it. For just over $50, it was definitely worth it.

nikkiluvsu15

Wild At Heart
Not from Target, but seriously... this is the best flat iron. I absolutely love it. It literally takes me 5-10 minutes to straighten my hair.

My mom bought it, so I'm not sure where she got it from. But I know she didn't pay the $200 that I've seen some places sell it. She got it much, much cheaper. I've had it for at least 2 years, probably more, and it's still going strong.

Rusk flat irons are amazing.

The model is IRE2093

Saeleofu

I have a Wet2Straight that's several years old (at least 5 years). It works like a charm! I rarely straighten it wet, but it's nice to have that option...especially since I despise hot air dryers.

I really want to try one of those heated brushes, but I'm still a bit skeptical.

boneyjean

Stinky Butt
I left my Chi for my Babyliss and will never go back. I love it! It gets super hot and the titanium is wonderful! I know they sell them sometimes at TJMaxx for super cheap so it is worth keeping your eye out for for the future.

Cali Mae

Little dog, big voice
Not from Target, but seriously... this is the best flat iron. I absolutely love it. It literally takes me 5-10 minutes to straighten my hair.

My mom bought it, so I'm not sure where she got it from. But I know she didn't pay the $200 that I've seen some places sell it. She got it much, much cheaper. I've had it for at least 2 years, probably more, and it's still going strong.

Rusk flat irons are amazing.

The model is IRE2093
This is the one I have. Usually, I do my hair, which is moderately wavy/frizzy, in four plus layers... but with this one, if I'm in a rush, I can do two to three layers and it looks pretty straight. I don't have to have it on the max heat either like I did with my old one.

My friend has very wavy, coarse hair that is easily damaged by heat and isn't easily tamed, but she has the same straightener and it works like a charm.

xpaeanx

I come from a sticky-fingered family and after buying several expenisve(and amazing) flat irons I bought this same-ish one(only dif I see is that mine is all black) bc it was on sale($15) and said it went to 450. It works great, and it's cheap enough that no one bothers with it and if they did the replacement cost wouldn't kill me. I really like it. I get great results and I don't worry about it. I've prob had it for 2 years: it gets dropped, shoved in backpacks, stepped on by dogs, I've accidentally kicked it a few times.... Still works great. :)

~Jessie~

Chihuahua Power!
I went through 3 CHIs- 2 broke while on warranty (issues with heat connecting to the plates), and the 3rd broke for the same reason outside of warranty.

Needless to say, I didn't get a 4th.

I have a GHD flat iron, but I haven't used it in years. It works VERY well, though. I have curly hair and it's too long to straighten now, but I used to straighten it every day when it was above my shoulders.

I'm not sure what options Target has, though. I knew a couple of people in college who had the Jilbere brand ones and used them with success... however, I tried that kind once and it didn't give me the results I wanted.

Members online