Flea/Tick & HW - What do you use?

Cardi4851

For HW I currently use sentinel, but have used Ivenheart as well. Avdotya was a HW positive rescue and I've seen what it does with them so I won't mess around. For fleas/ticks etc. I usually only treat in the summer, and then once. When I was in Oregon I didn't have to treat at all. Since moving to Indiana however, I've had to treat every other month. :( I used to use frontline plus, but that didn't even put a dent in the fleas and I didn't want to have to use it every month. We switched to comfortis and have been flea free for three months (with only one dose). I'm also absurdly allergic to frontline, as in I can't touch my dogs for three days after putting it on without getting hives, so the pill is an excellent solution.

The only thing I don't like about the comfortis is that it doesn't do anything for ticks, and thick Cardi fur isn't fun to dig through.

momto8

We use Interceptor for HW only from spring to fall and we only use flea control when needed. We had to use Frontline last year and it was the first time in 5 yrs that we had to treat for fleas!

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
Interceptor year round for my guys, though right now we're on Trifexis since we can't get Interceptor. Frontline during tick months. I really need to put the Frontline on but I've been stalling because they're already getting flea stuff from the Trifexis, so it makes me anxious to basically double up with the Frontline too... but it's tick time for sure. =/

elegy

overdogged
I mean we do have ticks here, but a low incidence of lyme in the ticks that are found attaching to dogs. That said, I've lived here 20 years and have never found a tick on myself or any of my dogs and we've never had fleas.
I grew up running in fields and woods constantly and never saw a tick on anybody or anything until I was in college. Now they're everywhere. It's awful.

Katem

There has only ever been one animal in my home that had a bad flea problem and that was a foster kitten. The poor little guy was crawling with fleas. I brushed him out and gave him a flea bath and almost gagged at how many of the buggers came off of him. None of my own animals have ever had issues with fleas though. There have been a few times when I was paranoid and thought someone had fleas, but it always turns out to be a case of me just seeing things.

That said, lyme is prevalent in my area, so I do use Frontline Plus periodically. Mostly I just check the dogs over after hikes/time outside.

I keep both of them on Heartgard year round though. Bear was hw+ when I adopted him and we get a crap ton of mosquitos in the warmer months, so that worries me a bit.

Saeleofu

Interceptor year round for my guys, though right now we're on Trifexis since we can't get Interceptor. Frontline during tick months. I really need to put the Frontline on but I've been stalling because they're already getting flea stuff from the Trifexis, so it makes me anxious to basically double up with the Frontline too... but it's tick time for sure. =/
I've heard some good things about Preventic Collars, but I have never used one myself.

That being said, Frontline is perfectly safe to use with Trifexis because they work different ways. I don't double up because it feels like a waste, but I have short-haired dogs and can see and remove the ticks before the Frontline can kill them.

Both of mine are on Trifexis. :)

Advantage and frontline do nothing for fleas here, they worked at our old house but we moved and the fleas here are resistant to almost everything.

Comfortis worked so I switched to Trifexis because it ends up being cheaper than Comfortis + Heartworm meds.

Southpaw

orange iguanas.
Woohoo, our rep sent us the sign up sheet for what we want this year.... so the dogs will be on Heartgard for heartworms, and Certifect for fleas/ticks. Too bad we won't get it until, like... May. And the ticks and mosquitoes are definitely out already. :eek:

I use Frontline and Hearguard. Haven't seen any resistance problems up here. I'm also using Bug Off this year for an extra layer of protection because we had a mild winter and the ticks and fleas are going to be beyond horrible. We're already seeing them.

*blackrose

"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
Used to be Heartguard and Frontline, now it is Trifexis. I typically don't really worry about flea/tick medication, but that may change now that I'm moving, especially since just one brief walk in the woods behind my boyfriend's place had me pulling a little tiny tick off of Chloe. o_O I'm so glad it was on her face and I could see it.

Members online

No members online now.