Should sex offenders be allowed to use facebook?

Miakoda

I personally know of a registered sex offender using facebook. How? It's my cousin (my 2nd cousins daughter).

I was kind of shocked to learn that facebook bans registered sex offenders from using facebook, but there they are just a posting away.

I have not bothered saying anything, and some feel that they have the "right" to be on facebook just like "all the other fools" who have facebook pages.

So....do you believe convicted/registered sex offenders should be left alone on facebook? Should they be reported so as to have their profile disabled? Should the type of offense play a role as to whether or not a sex offender can maintain a profile? Should all sex offenders, regardless of offense, be banned?

Jules

Magic, motherf@%$*#!
I think before I can really discuss what I think sex offenders should or shouldn't do, sex offender laws have to be revised. The term "sex offender" is just way too broad.

zoe08

I'm not entirely sure how I feel about it. I think maybe if they have facebook they should require that they list that they are a registered sex offender on their profile.

Oh and I do agree with Jules, because I really don't like that it is so easy to be considered a sex offender when you have done nothing wrong. You can be 19 and if you date a 16 year old and someone says the wrong thing you get on the sex offenders list when you did nothing wrong. So I think that all needs to be fixed first.

Miakoda

I think before I can really discuss what I think sex offenders should or shouldn't do, sex offender laws have to be revised. The term "sex offender" is just way too broad.
I do agree that a person who does unspeakable things to young children is on an entirely different level that a stupid 18-yr-old who slept with his 16-yr-old girlfriend. But I believe changing the broad "sex offender" label is a long way away from happening.

ACooper

I agree with Jules too. I mean, having a few beers and deciding it's a good idea to pee in a public park is not in the same hemisphere as molesting a child or raping a person.

Do I think child molesters should have access to facebook? Noway............child molesters also shouldn't be teachers, little league coaches, priests, or any way they can gain PRIVATE time (whether online or in person) with a child. But then most child molesters are never going to be accused or convicted, the biggest reason this crime will NEVER stop :(

joce

I do agree that a person who does unspeakable things to young children is on an entirely different level that a stupid 18-yr-old who slept with his 16-yr-old girlfriend. But I believe changing the broad "sex offender" label is a long way away from happening.
I don't know of anywhere that still does the once you go to 18 your an adult and well get you thing. Here in Ohio it's a fou year differance and many other states it's more than that. So if someone tells you that's the reason look up the court case and likely it's not.

I also have a second cousin who is registered who is always getting arrested for failing to register. Never close to that side of the family but I have a friend that did have him on her Facebook until I mentioned the sexual predator thing so interesting to know. Who monitors that? It looks like he is in jail every other month. What a freakin waste. And I didn't look up the case because I didn't want to know what he did.

And really does everyone need to be on Facebook? No matter what level I think it's something that's so unimportant on the scale of things. Many of these people are going to be in half ways houses with no Internet for years.

Dizzy

Sit! Good dog.
If someone wants to commit an offense stopping them using facebook isn't going to make one jot of difference. They'd have to be banned from the internet and under 24/7 surveillance if that's the result they're after.

It's stupid. Like banning fat people from eating cake... There's a whole load of alternatives out there to get your fix.

Miakoda

Joce, that's not why she was convicted. I was just offering it as a situation differing from those deemed more offensive.

She was convicted as a teacher having sexual relations with 14, 15, & 16-yr-old students. Honestly, I don't even think she's affected by all that transpired in her past. It's like it was no big deal, laugh it off, marry a wealthy guy and have lots of high-maintenance hoity-toity friends, and have babies because "it's so cute".

I also notice she's at local parks and water parks with her son. It's just kind of disturbing to see how easy it is for sex offenders to continue being in close proximity to children.

As for the topic, I wouldn't even know how they could enforce it.

JessLough

Love My Mutt
If as society as a whole the biggest thing we are concerned about is if sex offenders are using Facebook, to the point of Facebook actually banning them, I think we're doing pretty well. Yet at the same time, it's worrisome that Facebook has such a hold over us.

Agreed with Dizzy. If Rey don't go on Facebook, there'll Always be other ways. People just need to watch what they/their kids are putting out there, cause there's much more than sex offenders to worry about.

(all general, not directed to anybody inparticular)

Miakoda

I didn't bring this up as a personal moral issue. Ive just recently seen lots of discussion about it across the Internet. I use my cousin, who I am friends with, as an example of proof that, despite facebook's personal ban on sex offenders using the site, it's done (and quite easily).

JessLough

Love My Mutt
Oh I know that :) it's honestly the first time I've heard that Facebook had them banned. But then again, Facebook has pet profiles banned (well, any profile where you are pretending to be somebody you're not) and those are on quite easily.

If you're out of prison, feel free to enjoy society like everyone else. If they are not fit to join society, then they shouldn't be letting them out of jail.

I don't care. It's not like I depend on the gov't to keep me safe from undesireables.

RD

Are you dead yet?
Yes, they should be allowed. If people are worried about sex offenders on facebook, then that's all the more reason to keep your profile private.

Kimbers

Yes, they should be allowed. If people are worried about sex offenders on facebook, then that's all the more reason to keep your profile private.
Agreed.

And if your worried about your kid adding a sex offender as a friend, should your kid even have a FaceBook?

Members online

No members online now.