Puppy Teeth

Chewbecca

feel the magic
So, I was in the office with both puppies, allowing them their morning wrestle fest, and everything is going good (I always supervise).
Then I hear a "Yelp!" which I assume is Ophie because she's very vocal and yelps over the most minor things (think Drama Queen).
I separate them, to see blood in various places on Luke.
I give Ophie a quick once over, and then I crate her.

I grab a rag, wet it, and I bring Luke back into the office with me, to start doing the "puppy wound search".
I knew neither of them was seriously injured, they were just playing, but sometimes puppies can leave tiny puppy teeth punctures on each other that will sometimes bleed some. Not a lot, and not enough to alarm me, but just some. But I don't like seeing blood. At all, EVER.

So, I'm wiping him down, (red REALLY shows up on white puppies), and I CANNOT even find the slightest puppy teeth wound on his skin ANYWHERE.

So, I give him some love as I wipe the various spots of blood off of him, and then I crate him. I take Ophie out, and I do the same.
I cannot figure out the source of the blood. Then as I'm wiping down Ophie, I find it.

One of them lost a tooth. And from the looks of it, it was a canine.
Neither are bleeding from their mouths, that I can tell.

Ophie is being a butthead and won't let me get a good look in her mouth, but from what I could see, it wasn't her.

Silly puppies losing their teeth.
Causing me to worry a bit.

I thought, "You know...you'd think for that amount of blood, someone have a nice bite wound somewhere. And I don't know how THAT would have happened as I'm pretty good about watching them play."

And now I know.

HayleyMarie

Like a bat outa' hell
haha Oh the wonders of puppy hood. I remember finding Teagans puppy teeth is my bed I would be sleeping and roll over than wake up with a pain in my back and what would it be but a little sharp baby tooth.

My sister was about 6 when I got my first GSD, Purdue.

She was out in the backyard, playing with him, wearing a white sweater.

When she came in, there was blood all over the arms of her white sweater. Mom just KNEW my puppy had mauled HER baby . . .

Not a mark on the brat, but there were two puppy teeth stuck in the weave :rolleyes:

Bailey08

I used to feel so bad for him when B lost his baby teeth. :(

I didn't miss the d@mn things, though. He was a little shark when he was a baby, lol.

Chewbecca

feel the magic
He lost two of his canines today!
I guess that would put him at older than 4 months, wouldn't it?

Dunno, Becca. Everything I've ever read or been told, plus my own experience, says around 4 months is when it starts.

EDIT: Try a google using "when do puppies lose their teeth"

I pretty much got 4 - 5 months on the first few I checked.

Last edited:

RD

Are you dead yet?
In my experience, teeth start falling out at around 4 months but canines are the last to go, usually around 5+ months.

I've also seen puppy canines yanked out early by rough play/tug of war.

Chewbecca

feel the magic
In my experience, teeth start falling out at around 4 months but canines are the last to go, usually around 5+ months.

I've also seen puppy canines yanked out early by rough play/tug of war.
Yeah, this is what I was thinking it was closer, too.
I know they typically lose their incisors first, but I thought the canines were always last to go.
And Ben seems to think he sees his permanents coming through.

I don't know about that, though.

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
Are you keeping them? I'm crazy and kept all of Auggie's baby teeth I could find. Which was not a lot. But they are in his scrapbook, LOL.

Members online

No members online now.