Border Collie, Brittany, Red Heeler. whats the best for a new puppy owner

Heeler26

I am the son in a family of five. We are looking for a mid-sized dog that isnt too hyper but will fecth and run around/play with us. Three dogs we are looking at right now are the Border Collie, Brittany, and Red Heeler. We have a good sized yard that is fenced in. We would really like any feedback about these breeds or others that would make a good match.

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
Hm. Honestly, I would say none of the above. If I had to pick out of those though, it would be a brittany, though they are known for being hyper.

There are definitely breeds that could match what you are looking for better then the ones you posted. :)

BostonBanker

All three are very seriously active dogs who need a pretty intense amount of exercise, both mental and physical. What about looking for an adult mix with some herding dog in it?

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
Or a retriever or retriever mix? Plenty of labs in shelters that would fit the bill perfectly.

HoundedByHounds

Oh, it's *you*
Yep Lab X or GSD X from a shelter would be a great fit. Probably could even find a puppy of that description if your family wants to go the pup route.

bubbatd

So far agree .... what are your ages , do your parents work , and will this dog be a family ( inside ) dog . Maybe some one can post the site that tells you the best suited dog . I've done it many times and still come up with a Golden or Lab as my best choice !! Tell us more !

Heeler26

Im sixteen, i have two sisters 14, and 10. My mom works part time and my dad has his own construction buisness. We want a family dog. We really dont want a big dog though.

Dekka

Just try me..
then you REALLY don't want any of those breeds!! You would likely have hard time convincing a good breeder of any of those breeds to sell you a pup.

I agree with labs, they often love to fetch and run, but as long as you don't get a field lab they shouldn't be to active.

Lilavati

Arbitrary and Capricious
Though those are all nice dogs, they are all very intense, extremely active, hyper dogs that need a "job" to be happy. Unless your idea of "fetch" is high powered arial frisbee or competative flyball, these breeds probably arent' right for you, as wonderful as they are. Your average family can't provide the kind of hard work that those breeds thrive on. I agree that a golden or a lab (or a mix of the above) might be a good match, or a herding breed mix that has been mellowed out by virtue of the mix. Since you are set on a puppy, a purebreed rescue with a proven laid-back personality is out.

There are probably a number of other breeds that would suit your needs as well, but we would need more detail to make a suggestion.

HoundedByHounds

Oh, it's *you*
Many Lab x's are in fact...medium sized dogs. Labs themselves in spite of what you may see...are not SUPPOSED to be huge 100lbs+ dogs...lol.

Mixes often keep to a median size that is very "handy" for most people.

If you want something smaller perhaps consider a Beagle Mix. Many end up medium sized, my hounds enjoy fetch from time to time...and ALWAYS enjoy cuddling.

The breeds you mentioned...are a LOT, of dog...

Boemy

Many lab mixes aren't that big. Labs are really not THAT much larger than border collies. I had a labrador / border collie mix and she only weighed 50 lbs.

At any rate, out of those choices I would say Brittany, because the other choices are very intense dogs. A lot of border collies need a job to do or they will create their OWN job to do, which can be things like "staring obsessively at a dripping faucet" or "chewing."

If you do decide to get a puppy, make sure you know how to pick out a good breeder. The people in your local newspaper are probably not good breeders. Puppies at pet stores are DEFINITELY not from good breeders; avoid pet store puppies at all costs.

Adult dogs are sooo much easier for a new dog owner because puppies . . . well, as sweet and cute as puppies are, they are A LOT of work. BUT if your heart is set on a puppy, you can find them at shelters and in rescues. That's where I got my dog as a pup. Either that or go to a GOOD breeder. If you need help locating a good breeder near you, feel free to ask how to find them / how to tell if a breeder is good.

Have to agree with everything above, and just add that you might want to avoid anything husky too! We have a beagle/husky pup (8 months old nearly), and we find that he's delightful, but aloof, likes to do his own thing (follow his nose to food mostly!), he's not big on cuddling (likes to be with you, but not ON you). He's also not reliable on his recall at the park, in the yard, or anywhere else, if there's a scent in the air.

I do think that there are many many puppies out there waiting for homes in shelters that you should take a look at. Don't discount "big" dogs out of hand, but just take a look through petfinder, or local shelters, and help save a puppy. A mutt/mongrel/mix is generally a great family pet.

I personally think you should contact a rescue group. There will be tons of mixes of dogs there who will fit in with your family. And rescues DO have puppies!!

Those three breeds you mentioned don't seem like a good match for your family!!

Lilavati

Arbitrary and Capricious
How about a show-line Springer Spaniel? They are somewhat like Britiannys, but a lot less intense? Or a minature (not toy) or smallish standard poodle? Both breeds will happily play fetch with you, but will also settle down at the end of the day.

With a Springer, though, MAKE SURE you get one from a breeder whose lines are free of rage. Or a rescue.

Dekka

Just try me..
if you are getting a puppy PLEASE don't get one of those 'designer' mixes that are out there. (unless you adopt from a rescue or shelter). Find a good breeder who will help your family get the right pup.

(and yes labs should be medium sized dogs, if you get one from a good breeder it will be)

Maxy24

If you don't mind telling me, what state are you in, i can check out petfinder and see if i find anything that seems good for your family.

Suzzie

Aging Canine Advocate
australian cattle dogs and border collies are definitely not for new dog owners.

bubbatd

LOL!!! Besides my Bubba the most laid back dog I ever met was a Dane/Fila mix . He was here for 3 days until I found the owners and he kept coming back to visit . What a loving couch potato and he was huge ! I can understand why you want a puppy , but please visit and see the set up and try to meet the sire if possible . The apple doesn't fall far from the tree !

Members online

No members online now.