Stiffness and limping

Fran27

Well Boris limping isn't going much better... He's limping on and off every day, and his back legs are pretty stiff when he gets up from a nap etc. I'm almost sure he got dysplasia, even though he's only 13 months... Any idea of what to do to make him feel better? When we took him to the vet for limping a few months ago they said it was his elbow, and probably dysplasia, and gave us some anti inflamatory, which of course didn't really do much.

Mostly I'm worried that if it's already so bad at his age we will have to put him to sleep in a couple years because it will be too hard on him... He doesn't seem to be in pain and is running around a lot, but how can we tell?

Any advice would be welcome, we have to take him to the vet next month anyway for his shots so we will have them take a look at it...

I don't think I will ever warn people enough not to buy their dogs from a BYB...

Athebeau

For my Rottweiler, she was diagnosed with HD at a very young age. She is now around 7 years old and doing wonderful. I keep forgetting to mention that at the same time she was diagnosed with HD she was diagnosed with Tendonitis in her front elbow...she was a limping machine when I first rescued her. With my protocol she has improved and now has no limp at all.:)

I never used any of the conventional treatments and chose instead to use natural herbs. When I first rescued her and she had a hard time getting up in the morning due to stiffness, at times could not do stairs etc. I was devastated, but, with my herbal routine daily never miss a day:) She has improved 100% it just amazes me. The same goes for my male Newf with Elbow Dysplasia...what a difference with raw meals, raw cartlidge meats, omega 3 fatty acids etc.

Plus I have her on Nutri Aid GCM - which contains - Glucosamine HCL, Chondroitin Sulphate, MSM, Vitamin C, Mineral Manganese.

Omega 3 fatty acids I usually give my dogs canned sardines packed in water, or you can buy fish body oils. I also add Flax oil, Hemp seed oil and Crushed Flax seeds to their food.

For an antinflammatory I am giving Turmeric and ginger both in dried powder forms. I also rotate with Boswellia, I heard licorice is great, but, I have never used it. Yucca is great as an anti inflammatory short term.

For nutrient herbs I use Alfalfa, dandelion root, parsley.

Good luck.

I also give her other supplements off/on such as astragalus, bilberry, and I feel she is getting antioxidants naturally in her raw meals. I give all my dogs organic plain yogurt mixed with blueberries, raspberries, blackberries and cranberries for their powerful antioxidant content. A variety of real foods will help tremendously.;)

I don't think I will ever warn people enough not to buy their dogs from a BYB...
Quote by Fran27
You can have diasters like this happen with reputable breeders with show quality dogs as well. I have proof her at home...champion in Canada, Bermuda, and United States with Elbow Dysplasia.:( His breeders always do health tests before breeding and only breed clear OFA, Eye etc excellent...you can still end up with problems even with the best researched lines.

Last edited:

Fran27

Raw is not an option for us, mostly because there isn't any place around that sells cheap meat. I'm interested in the rest though, where do you find nutri aid GCM and turmeric? I'm definitely going to buy some sardines for now.

Athebeau

Turmeric you can buy at any grocery store:) It's used for cooking and is fantastic as a natural Anti Inflammatory used with dried ginger also sold at grocery stores.

For the nutri aid GCM I am able to get this from a local tack store or you might want to check with your Vet to see if they can order it in. Maybe do a google search, I never bothered as I am able to get it in my area. It's very economical (which I need since I have 5 dogs on it). It's a big bottle and gives you the exact amount to give for the size of your dog or horse:) . 1 bottle lasts all of my dogs for about 2 months giving them each the required amount.

What you could do to add the raw cartlidge to your dogs diet is to pick up raw turkey necks a couple times a week. They are normally quite cheap. I can get 4 large turkey necks for about $3.00...they are big enough that you could snap them in 2 and put the remainder back in the freezer.

Fran27

Where do you get the turkey necks? Lol I feel like an idiot, but the only place I have seen things I could give to my dogs was wholefoods and their bones were smoked...

Thanks for the other info, I'll look it up this week end!

Athebeau

I don't know where you live, but, if you have a Sobey's store go to the area they sell either Turkeys or the other coolers take a good look through all of them. I found my Turkey necks quite by accident, they were in a freezer with onion rings and bulk freezer items.:) They also have other items such as cow heart- mix in their food a couple times month , ox tails - which I give as a treat.

Take a good look through all the freezers at your grocery store. You may be surprised at what you find.

Fran27

I agree!

I can't seem to find a place selling the nutri aid around here, I'll check online though.

Boris is limping pretty bad today again so we're going to get some anti inflamatories from the vet for him until we can get all that stuff...

Boxer*Mom

It wasn't me
Your vet may recommend Welactin also.
It's a High-Potency Natural Salmon Oil Supplement for Dogs. Active Ingredient(s): Salmon oil, d-alpha tocopheryl acetate, mono-and diglycerides, tocopherols, soybean oil, citric acid, and rosemary extract.

Fran27

Ok it's officially impossible to find raw turkey necks in grocery stores around here, so going to have to look for a butcher shop... I couldn't find any of the rest either, but he's on anti inflamatory meds for a week for now anyway.

Athebeau

Anything I listed is completely natural. I give all these supplements to my dogs without any joint problems as a preventative.

Fran seems like a caring owner who wants the best for her dog...and even (hopefully) if the check up goes well...she will still probably want to give supplements as a preventative.:)

Members online

No members online now.