Recommendations for my bro please

ihartgonzo

and Fozzie B!
Honestly... I know that you won't allow a dog to get neurotic or out of hand. And seeing you with Katalin probably makes him want a dog to be his pal. I don't think there's anything wrong with that, and I do feel that your current situation is the ideal one to ensure that the dog gets properly raised, trained and cared for while your brother learns the ropes. I was very immature and irresponsible when I first got Gonzo, and he totally changed me for the better. :)

I'm partial... but I do think a Pembroke or Cardigan Corgi from a really good show breeder could fit super well!!! I prefer boy Corgs, but girls are amazing too, and usually super sweet and submissive. They're active enough to do all kinds of sports, activities, and chill enough to be the best cuddlers at the end of the day. They also love playing with bigger dogs and are perfectly capable of sticking up for themselves.

a big stick to whack your brother upside the head with?
Tried it - doesn't work =(.

Thanks so much everyone! Well I've showed him photos of what Whippets/Italian Greyhounds look like - he's not that into them (right now). He was thinking of a Aussie but I told him it would probably be as much, if not more work than Katalin - that turned him right off.

Indeed Laurelin! He thinks Katalin is a HUGE amount of work - she's not the most basic puppy for sure but she isn't super exhaustive to me at least. 2 x classes a week (beginning this fall) for an hour a time, 2 hours combined walking time per day, 30 - 45 minutes training and practice at home a day, a thorough brushing out several times a week, and lots of play/hanging out throughout everyday (well - the last one isn't so hard lol).

I've tried explaining to him that alot of small dogs are just as much work, if not more so than a big dog/LGD - and can get out of hand just as easily without the right training and structure. But it doesn't seem to register in that fat head of his =/

He's agreed to visit a few shelters first and if a suitable adult dog is available - he's agreed to keep an open mind. Otherwise... it's down to a shih tzu, toy poodle, or show/pet quality PW corgi now apparently.

I'm rooting for the Corgi - he'll need to exercise it alot, learn some training techniques and hopefully take it out to do some kind of activity (competitive or not). He's overweight (230 lbs at 5'11) and NEEDS some kind of incentive to get his ass out and do SOMETHING. I made it really clear to him that it would be HIS dog and he can't dump the responsibility of it on any of us if he finds it alot of work. I've made it even more clear that if he even so much as brings up dumping the dog or abandoning it if he gets bored that he's a dead man.

A shelter dog would be great too of course - but hopefully it won't be too sedate - as I said, my bro needs to get out of the house more often. For my sake as well as his. If I have to put up with anymore of his World of Warcraft or Guild wars gaming sound effects I may be required to stab him.

But all irresponsibility, immaturity, and pig headed selfishness put aside - new puppy/dog possibly in a few weeks. Ahh! =)

Romy

Taxiderpy
Getting a dog as incentive to exercise rarely works. In many cases, the dog ends up not getting enough exercise because the owner never fully changed their habit. And while I don't doubt your brother-whooping abilities, you're not going to live with him for the duration of the dogs life.

Would your parents consider making it a condition of getting a dog that he go out and take a 30 minute walk 2x a day for a certain number of weeks beforehand? If he's not willing to put in the effort in order to get a dog, then they'll have first hand proof that he's not going to do it after getting one (so that it will fall on them). Also, making it a habit now will go a lot farther toward making sure the dogs needs are met when/if he finds a good fit.

ETA: Arrange to have him meet some whippets in person. Many people find them wimpy/off-putting in pictures, but in person they are fun, very sturdy athletic little dogs.

yoko

A shelter dog would be great too of course - but hopefully it won't be too sedate - as I said, my bro needs to get out of the house more often. For my sake as well as his. If I have to put up with anymore of his World of Warcraft or Guild wars gaming sound effects I may be required to stab him.
I just wanted to point out that choosing a more active dog in the hopes that someone will change their activity level is NEVER a good idea.

BostonBanker

Otherwise... it's down to a shih tzu, toy poodle, or show/pet quality PW corgi now apparently.
I've seen a ton of SSA in corgis (Pems, I've only known one Cardigan). Both males and females - the people know who have multiples basically accept breaking up fights as part of life. I'm not sure if it would extend to other breeds as much, as the ones I know are usually in homes with multiple corgis. But since you mention that being a concern with your dog in the house as well, it may be worth really looking into.

ihartgonzo

and Fozzie B!
Ummm.... I don't know one aggressive Corgi. And I literally know and have worked with hundreds, add I am obsessed. :p In my experience they're infinitely more friendly to both dogs and humans than Shih Tzus. Most of the Shih Tzus I know are tolerant at best. I hear a lot of negatives about Corgis, and maybe it's because I adore them so much, but I've never seen it. Yes Corgis can get leash reactive, usually as a result of bad experiences or lots of leash corrections. But they're a vocal herding breed. They do need to be trained, but luckily they're one of the brightest, most food driven breeds ever!

Honestly I think it's getting kind of harsh on Stephys brother. She lives with him, can help and guide him. The fact that he's actually planning for a dog and researching breeds makes him better than 99% of dog owners, who just go for a dog they think is cute or whatever is sitting right in front of then. And I can say from experience that dogs absolutely CAN make you much more active and social. I would never walk around the neighborhood for miles, or run around the park, dogless. I'd feel like a weirdo. But I do both of those things every day with my dogs. A fun, playful but not insanely demanding breed very much encourages you to get out and play with them.

I do really want to see another Corgi puppy... and that would look so cute with Katalin! But I do feel that one would fit your needs very well! I adopted Fozzie from a rescue at 9 weeks, so it's possible to find a Corgi/mix puppy in shelters although it's rate. Fozz has been the absolute best pup in the world, literally 1000x easier and more pleasant than my BC. ALL of my friends and family want to steal him, even those who don't care for dogs, because he's so sweet, chill and hilarious. Compared to an LGD a Corgi is a walk in the park. A male Corgi would probably get along better with Katalin, but I have never met a DA female either and if they're raised together they should be fine. I'd definitely recommend a nice show breeder who does temperament testing and whose parents you can spend time with. Of course, if you didn't live with your bro or you were a random person I wouldn't be so confident that a Corg would fit you. But you are educated, dedicated, and have a Kuvasz! :) a Corgi is a breeze in comparison. And in my experience they're such a special breed, who have a way of bringing so much joy into the lives of their people.

Cardi4851

Corgi's of both variety are well known to be snarky and dog reactive. My female cannot live with another female dog, she will fight them. My fiance had to re-home his pug because they fought to the point of drawing blood at least once a week. My cardi boy is more laid back, but he is still only a year and a half and neutered. I have seen plenty of cardigans that are just as snarky as pems. My cardi also has to have a job to do. He is definitely not a lounge around type of a dog.

He's insisting on a dog of his own one way or another - so it might as well be something that'll encourage him to get out more like ihartgonzo (Sorry what's your real name? I feel awkward calling you IHG LOL) said.

Romy,

We could arrange for him to take Katalin out for half hour walks early in the morning and in the mid evening. But she doesn't really listen, respect, or like him lol - it's quite funny; she treats him like a big raw bone or a toy whenever he tries to assert his authority over her :rofl1: She respects me and our parents though. And his handling skills are far from adequate to keep her under control if she should see something that sets her off.

Maybe having him walk daily for 3 weeks with a plush Corgi on a leash first would help indeed show he's committed and capable: http://www.perfectpetzzz.com/Products/PerfectPetzzz
/PID-XP91-33%28PerfectPetzzzStaging%29.aspx

My friend that owns a Vizsla - her co-worker/acquaintance has a year old Italian greyhound. We'll meet up with "Dazzle" sometime on Wednesday. Close enough to a Whippet.

ihartgonzo,

Well both are special and incomparable with their own set of challenges and requirements - but indeed a Corgi would be easier than another LGD (which I am planning to get next year for myself though....)

He wanted a Norwich terrier since we were kids LOL - but like I said, I literally had to shout him down to decide against a terrier of any sort. He saw a random photo of a Fila puppy on the kitchen computer and said he thought it looked "cool" - I screamed HELL NO! and ran to close the window of the photo :rofl1:. I think Filas are indeed cool - never in his idiot hands though. Two LGD's and a possible Corgi/Whippet - that's quite a houseful enough thank ya very much.

Corgis are funny little guys - I like them myself, and indeed are full of joy and alot of vigor!

Aleron

Corgis seem kinda unlikely to fit with what he wants...

I'd agree with a Shih Tzu - most of them don't seem to even enjoy too much activity. Plenty are nice little dogs too and great pets. I see multiples of them on a near daily basis at work. Some are definitely bad but I can say that about most breeds in the setting I see them in. And plenty are good natured, tolerant and sweet.

Norwichs and Norfolks actually aren't a terrible choice TBH, except they are very expensive to buy and there is some sort of widespread breathing issue in them :(

thehoundgirl

Does it have to be a dog? There are some great cats in shelters who might fit his criteria.
I would not suggest a cat either.. they are a lot of work, especially my 3. :p I love mine to death but yeah I would not suggest a cat..

JessLough

Love My Mutt
I guess I'm not understanding why he should have to not get the dog he wanys becaise you want to get a second dog? Wouldn't that then be something you have to think of and decide on when the tine comes? Especially since it's not like he's living in your house... you're both living with your parents. IDK, then again I didn't take too lightly sister tried to tell me i cohldn't have more pets... it's not her house, not her concern and not her business :p

I wouldn't suggest a breed like a pug that has folds to be cleaned/thoroughly dried, though

Romy

Taxiderpy
Something like a smaller hound might work if he kept up with its physical demands. Beagles tend to get along pretty well with other dogs.

If you could possibly find a breeder, there are some small coated sight hounds. Long haired whippets, silken windhounds, and Appalachian greyhounds. The last come in a wire coated variety. I've always been intrigued by those, but not sure how hard it would be to actually get one.

ETA: You might check into a Portuguese podengo pequeno. I don't know what the DA tendencies are in that breed, but they are expected to hunt bunnies in large packs. They sort of have that terrier-ish look, and are cool little dogs.

sillysally

Obey the Toad.
Yep. People are so mean to cats.
I don't think it's mean to say that cats are less work than dogs. Yes, you have vet bills, food bills, etc. However, every cat we've ever had has come litter box trained. There is the issue of cleaning the litter box but with one cat that's not usually too bad. They like to hang out, play, snuggle, and be pet but don't need the outdoor exercise that a dog does. If you are going to be out longer one day there is no arranging for someone to take the animal out. Even having had the most cracked out kitten ever I can safely say that she was less work than having a puppy.

thehoundgirl

In my experience as a cat owner, my cats are more needy than my dogs some days. I guess it depends on the cat, but yeah that is why I am against suggesting a cat to just anyone just because they shouldn't have a dog and people think they are so easy to care for.

I'm not saying her brother wouldn't be good for a cat, but cat's need exercise too, being played with, vet care, good food, litter box scooped daily, etc.

I guess he could get a cat that is lazy? ;) Most cats sleep the majority of the day, but mine are pretty active especially my 3 year old female. My boys are older but they are pretty darn needy too. :p

I guess I find them more needy because I have 3? Just one couldn't be so bad to care for, cats are fun I think. Kittens are brats though! :p I prefer older cats and I adopted my boys when they were mature. I got Angel as a kitten and she has made me never want a kitten again but you know I will some day. :p Just my 2 cents. :)

Ummm.... I don't know one aggressive Corgi.
Sorry to burst your bubble...

Grr face by ~WelshStump~, on Flickr

But for MANY other reason on your check off list, I would NOT recommend a Corgi at all. A visual to sum it up?

something tells me highly that this would be too much work for him, and that's not even the half of it! If you don't want to spend an hour taking it out of "the source" a week at the least, you'll be vacuuming it up off the floor, don't like to vacuum? Then learn to eat it...oh heck, you'll be learning to eat it regardless :rofl1:!

But no seriously, thoughts on Dachshunds? All this does all day is sleep under a blanket, but can buzz up MANY small sessions of playful "zoomies" a day.

Cozy by ~WelshStump~, on Flickr

Aleron

Something like a smaller hound might work if he kept up with its physical dem
ETA: You might check into a Portuguese podengo pequeno. I don't know what the DA tendencies are in that breed, but they are expected to hunt bunnies in large packs. They sort of have that terrier-ish look, and are cool little dogs.

This breed barks a lot, is pretty independent and I think they are known for being escape artists. Not sure if they really fit in the "easy pet dog" category.

As for Doxies, they are cute and funny but most I have met have fairly terrier-ish attitudes.

Dizzy

Sit! Good dog.
I'd also say shihtzu. Every one I have met has been cute, cuddly but also with a bit of attitude thrown in there. Like walks, but obviously aren't going to need hours every day!!

ihartgonzo

and Fozzie B!
Yes. I love Doxies, but they are usually d-bags... the most common breed to bite in fact!

Corgis are just sassy. Big difference between sassy and aggressive! :p

Members online

No members online now.