This Is A Reputable Breeder!

• Thread starter savethebulliedbreeds
  • Start date
S

savethebulliedbreeds

Hey everyone. I will hopefully be purchasing a pup from this breeder within the next two years (hopefully). I just wanted you all to take a look at his site. Everyone here keeps talking about reputable breeders and (to me) these people are. Take a look at his site and let me know what you all think.

http://www.midgardkennels.com/

PS. Im not sure if this in the right forum or not.

savethebulliedbreeds said:
Hey everyone. I will hopefully be purchasing a pup from this breeder within the next two years (hopefully). I just wanted you all to take a look at his site. Everyone here keeps talking about reputable breeders and (to me) these people are. Take a look at his site and let me know what you all think.

http://www.midgardkennels.com/

PS. Im not sure if this in the right forum or not.
I'm not sure where you're located, is there any problem with bully ignorance in your area. Why are you wanting a Presa? Just curious, don't know much about you and I'm always surprised when someone is looking for "so much dog".

S

savethebulliedbreeds

I have been absolutely in love with the bully, molosser type breeds for as long as I can remember. I have done a ton of research on this breed for a few years. My husband and I breed pomeranians and chihuahuas and own an American Staffordshire Terrier. My Amstaff has been put through training to become a therapy dog and we are now working on our CGN. I have worked with these types of dogs for many many years and completely know what it takes to own one. I also passed an animal sciences & training course with a 93%. I help with an animal rescue and worked at the humane society for 4 years.

Yes there is a problem with bully ignorance here (Saskatchewan, Canada), which I am currently trying to change. If you want to please take a look at my website.

If you were thinking that I am just some ignorant person that wants the breed just because they are "mean looking", you can rest assured that I am not :D

I have been absolutely in love with the bully, molosser type breeds for as long as I can remember. I have done a ton of research on this breed for a few years. My husband and I breed pomeranians and chihuahuas and own an American Staffordshire Terrier. My Amstaff has been put through training to become a therapy dog and we are now working on our CGN. I have worked with these types of dogs for many many years and completely know what it takes to own one. I also passed an animal sciences & training course with a 93%. I help with an animal rescue and worked at the humane society for 4 years.

Yes there is a problem with bully ignorance here (Saskatchewan, Canada), which I am currently trying to change. If you want to please take a look at my website.

If you were thinking that I am just some ignorant person that wants the breed just because they are "mean looking", you can rest assured that I am not :D
Hey, hold on just a minute. That's not at all what I was thinking and not who I am...I was just curious. :confused:
I was not about to answer any questions with any kind of a slant out of respect for the OP...that's all.
I'm in Alberta and as a trainer I'm already seeing the effect that breed bans are having on the Presa. Why the Presa? What qualities are appealing to you. Again, don't get defensive..I'm just trying to share some information and am genuinly interested.
You know you'll have your work cut out for you. Be prepared for a life of dirty looks and hate, it's not right but it WILL be your experience. I know Sask. very well and they're not Presa savy there. You will also have to live with the fact that bringing a Presa into an environment where they're not often seen puts them in at a higher risk of being another "profile" breed for the wrong people. No matter how experienced you are with bully breeds, the Presa is so much more dog that I would ever want to handle and I've been training for many, many years.

I'm glad that you've done your research. One thing that does stand out for me on that site is the cropping, which I have absolutely no tolerance for. It makes a breed that is already intimidating looking much more so, which of course plays into the who hysteria thing. I think mutilating an animal for no good reason is beyond reprieve. I forgot to look at their location, are you able to visit them? Websites can be so deceptive.

R

RedyreRottweilers

I am disturbed by this from their contract:

* In the event of hip displaysia, examination must be done by the age of 25 months. A copy of OFA or PennHIP certifications must be forwarded to seller. Seller reserves the right to require a second set of films be taken and sent in to OFA for a second opinion. NOTE : If you use OFA to certify hips, do NOT initial the box that allows them to make public any results, passing or failing. Doing so will void your guarantee!
Anyone who has the best interests of their breed at heart would require the OPPOSITE.

JMO of course.

RedyreRottweilers said:
I am disturbed by this from their contract:

Anyone who has the best interests of their breed at heart would require the OPPOSITE.

JMO of course.
The spay/neuter falls short as well..:confused:

S

savethebulliedbreeds

I wasn't getting defensive, I was just giving you a little background on myself. The reason I stated that if you were thinking what I said, is to let you and everyone else that might read this know that I am not that type of person.

The reason I want this type of dog is because to me they are the dog of all dogs. They are very loyal and make and excellent family dog. I also love the fact that they are stubborn as hell. I am in love with the more rare breeds, and would like to us him as another therapy dog.

I understand what you are saying about bully prejudice and the fact that presas are not common here. I want to make an example out of my dogs. A good example. I want people to see and know that these dogs are not the monsters lots of people make them out to be. I understand that because of their looks it puts them at high risk of falling into the wrong hands. I am determined to show as many people that I can that these types of dogs are loyal and loving and not mean and vicious.

S

savethebulliedbreeds

I agree about the ear cropping. I don't like it either. The breeder has told me that he will not crop his puppies ears and that if I want to get it done then it is my choice (which I won't do anyways).

S

savethebulliedbreeds

* In the event of hip displaysia, examination must be done by the age of 25 months. A copy of OFA or PennHIP certifications must be forwarded to seller. Seller reserves the right to require a second set of films be taken and sent in to OFA for a second opinion. NOTE : If you use OFA to certify hips, do NOT initial the box that allows them to make public any results, passing or failing. Doing so will void your guarantee!
Im not sure if I agree with this either but I guess it is breeder preference. I have seen a lot of other breeders that do this also.

I wasn't getting defensive, I was just giving you a little background on myself. The reason I stated that if you were thinking what I said, is to let you and everyone else that might read this know that I am not that type of person.

The reason I want this type of dog is because to me they are the dog of all dogs. They are very loyal and make and excellent family dog. I also love the fact that they are stubborn as hell. I am in love with the more rare breeds, and would like to us him as another therapy dog.

I understand what you are saying about bully prejudice and the fact that presas are not common here. I want to make an example out of my dogs. A good example. I want people to see and know that these dogs are not the monsters lots of people make them out to be. I understand that because of their looks it puts them at high risk of falling into the wrong hands. I am determined to show as many people that I can that these types of dogs are loyal and loving and not mean and vicious.
I'm just not sure that the benefit outweighs the risk to this breed. I see that you've got (pit bulls for life - Calgary) listed on your site. Do you know what's happened with that situation? All because someone loved the breed and wanted to make a positive example. I do behavior training for them when things go bad and deal with the aftermath of poor choices and people biting off more than they can chew...and I'm referring to people with experience with many of these dogs. A staffy is a far cry from a presa and while I know you'll be socializing and training your butt off, it's still apples to oranges.
There are lots of other dogs who are not at risk this way that would be wonderful for therapy.

S

savethebulliedbreeds

No I am not sure what happened with Pit Bulls For Life. Please enlighten me though (through pm please). I completely understand the time and training and socialization that needs to go into these dogs. I also know that they are much more of a handful than Amstaffs.

R

RedyreRottweilers

Im not sure if I agree with this either but I guess it is breeder preference. I have seen a lot of other breeders that do this also.
This is wrong on many levels.

It is WRONG to hide or fail to disclose results of health testing, whether they are passing OR failing. In some ways, the failing results are MORE important to those doing research to make breeding decisions than the passing ones.

Anyone who would want to hide health testing results that do not pass would be OFF my list of breeders, IMMEDIATELY.

Once again, JMO.

S

savethebulliedbreeds

The more I think about that the more I agree that it is wrong to hide the results. But all I can say about that is that at least he does the tests. Unlike many many people I have come across.

Serena

The more I think about that the more I agree that it is wrong to hide the results. But all I can say about that is that at least he does the tests. Unlike many many people I have come across.
Doing the tests is pointless if the results are hidden.

The #1 thing that stands out to me is that he/she thinks its OK to breed a dog that is 15 months old. Its a large breed it shouldn't matter whether its a bitch or dog IMO no younger than 2 yrs. I really say for that large breed it should really be no younger than 2 1/2yrs but thats JMO.

S

savethebulliedbreeds

Agreed. Another poster and I had a long conversation. And I've decided not to purchase one. Case closed :D

R

RedyreRottweilers

STBB, I really think that is a wise decision.

Not because of the breed.

Because of this breeder.

bubbatd

Thank Heavens.!!! Again , anyone with rare or special breeds would not even consider selling pups this way .

Members online