Raw feeding question.

Lizmo

Water Junkie
I know there have been a lot of raw food questions.

Anyways, if I were to use this feeding schedule....
Sunday: Chicken backs or Leg Quarters.

Monday: Canned Salmon, Mackerel, Sardines, (can of each) Sweet Potato.

Tuesday: Chicken Backs or Leg Quarters or Turkey necks, Slice or 2 of Beef Liver or Heart or Kidney.

Wednesday: Ground Turkey or Ground Beef, Sweet Potato and one or two eggs, crushed shell included.

Thursday: Chicken backs, or leg quarters, slice of beef liver or heart or kidney.

Friday: Any kind of Raw Meaty bones. Pork, Beef, Lamb, Deer, Rabbit, Whole Chicken, etc.

Saturday: Turkey Necks, Pork Necks, Green Tripe.

Would knuckle bones be okay as a snack like twice a week? Is that too much bone?

*please remember that I am completely new to this*

Thanks!

ETA: Of course this would not start for a few weeks of being on raw...but just wondering.

DanL

You don't need to be that regimented with it, but what you list out is fine. After a few weeks of doing that you'll be frustrated! Feed one source of RMB for a few days. Say you have a 5lb bag of chicken backs. Feed them as RMB till they are gone. Feed some kind of muscle meat to supplement it, perhaps boneless pork. A little organ meat, maybe 2-3 times a week. An egg a couple times a week. Then the next week your chicken backs run out but you have some pork necks. Feed them and whatever muscle meat you have on hand. Maybe now it's beef heart. Maybe once a week you use some kind of fish as a muscle meat, or if you can get a good whole fish, that is their meal that day.

The point is, variety over time. They don't need every nutrient every day, or even every week. If you take out 10lbs of leg quarters and 5lbs of ground turkey, feed it till it's gone. Then feed something else. Etc etc etc.

FoxyWench

Salty Sea Dog
i BELIVE knickle bones are considered a recreational bone and therefore would be fine to feed as a snack. :)

I do understand what DanL is saying about too much structure but i personally prefer to have a set out menu with some structure, at least at this point while im still new. im sure once ive been feeding for a while and am comfortable with everything ill change it up a little and loosen up on the "menu" but at least having a menu gives you some idea at to the kind of wekly "balance" your looking for.

Last edited:

Lizmo

Water Junkie
Dan, I see what you are saying, but like Foxy said, I will just be starting out and would like to have a "menu" for the first few of months to a year. :)

Thank you guys!

Members online