Anyone know how much to transport a horse from Ontario to NJ?

Kmh1

Its about an 81/2 hour drive from Carp Ontario to Cape May County, NJ. Anyone have any horse transport company recommendations?

BostonBanker

I know most of the small shippers around here are doing $1.50 - $2/loaded mile. I'm not sure how much the big shippers charge - clearly less if they can get more horses on their rig.

Bateman Horse Vans is the one I'm most familiar with - based here in Vermont, but do a lot of east coast shipping. I've always had good experiences with them. I believe they are out of Hartland, VT.

If you pick up a copy of The Chronicle of the Horse, there are usually a lot of ads for shipping companies. Good luck!

mrose_s

BusterLove
hmm. i dunno of any companies. but whoever you pick.

make sure yuor horses will get a break every 2 hours at least with time ti walk around and stretch their legs. and that they float is safe

BostonBanker

make sure yuor horses will get a break every 2 hours at least with time ti walk around and stretch their legs.
Not sure I agree this is necessary, and I can tell you right now that if you use one of the big shippers, it will not happen. They aren't going to risk unloading 15 horses off a big rig every two hours to walk them around. 8 hours is a long time if you use a regular 2 horse trailer, but a better bet is to just pull over for 15 minutes or so to let the horse rest from keeping it's balance. Of course, with my darling boy, the only option is straight through. Once the trailer stops moving, he's ready to get off! Long stoplights are our enemy:D .

Any of the big rigs have a much better ride for the horse than a tagalong. I know plenty of horses who have made the trip from Vermont to Florida, or Vermont to the mid-West, with no stops, and handled it just fine.

In fact, we just had a horse ship from our barn to Florida. I'll try to remember to check today to see which company they used. I think it was Elite Horse Transport, but not sure.

Muggie'sMum

Mistress Wigglebutt
I think that it would be reasonable to make that trip straight through with one break.

You're looking at probably $500?... maybe less, if you're catching an already loaded trip with one stall left that has already paid for itself, but if you're having to have a trip taken specially for you, it's gonna be sick. :p Shipping... ugh, lol. That's the only thing that stands between me and some cheap horses. The cost of horses has gone down but the price of gas has gone up!

Kmh1

Thanks everybody --I got 2 quotes --one for $525 and one for $700...I might not be getting that horse anyway--just trying to get soem ideas just in case...--I'm going to post another thread about a horse I'm interested in asking for opinions--if you have a chance, check it out. Thanks for the responses!

Members online

No members online now.