Snatching food off the table.

JR0579

German Shepherds Rock
This is really getting on my nerves. Roy pokes his nose in very plate and piece of food on the coffee or dinner table. He licks the coffee table regardless of whether or not there is food on it. He once even snatched a piece of cake off of one of my visitors plates which was really embarassing. I tried saying "NO", "Off", "Leave It". They work for a while and then he's back to this annoying habit. I tried just a soft smack on the butt and saying "NO". That too didn't work. I tried giving him treats when he leaves my tables and food alone. The only thing is that he smells the treat and forgets about my food. The last thing I tried, it didn't work and I hate doing it again, is grabbing him by the scruff and saying "NO". I don't want to lock him up or crate him every time I am eating or having visitors over.

Any advice please ?

Thanks

make sure you are consistant with the training, a firm no should do the trick and remember to ignore him, keep it up for a while if he doesnt listen and snatches the food, then give him time out, I asume he isnt hungry and just greedy?

R

RedyreRottweilers

You should be interrupting your puppy each time he even LOOKS at something he is not supposed to. You can't let it get to the point of nose in the plate, etc.

You need to help the puppy have some respect for you, as he clearly does not.

I would first target train the puppy. Put down a mat or a bed, put the puppy on it, and say "get on your bed". Each time he moves from the bed or mat, put him back, and say "get on your bed". Depending on the dog, and how quick and firm you are about putting him back, after a certain number of attempts to move, he will decide to stay on the mat.

He should stay for 15 minutes in the beginning, and work up to 30 minutes.

Then when you have dinner or guests over, use the target. He will need more prompting when distraction is present. This is normal. Be consistent, fair, and firm. Put him back EACH time he makes a mistake. Gentle praise for correct behavior, however, this is one exercise I do not reward with food. The dog must stay because I said stay, and he must stay until I release him.

You should practice this every single evening with your puppy, and he should be up to 30 minutes within one week's time.

The next thing is to treat him like a dog when he comes up to sniff your food. Ever see a dog beg from another one? No. Take your cues from them. When he dares approach you when you are eating, FREEZE. STARE. Sit up tall. Lean in towards the dog with hard direct eye contact. With your bouncy enthusiastic puppy, you might have to show your teeth, and growl or snarl to get his attention. One he notices your obvious displeasure, keep the pressure on him. Keep staring. Sitting tall. As he loses his confidence and begins to back away from you and avoid your gaze, tell him to lie down, and release the pressure on him by going back to your meal and not looking at him. If you practice this, you should be able to lay the dog down and have him put his chin on the floor every time you have something that he would like to have some of, simply by looking at him.

Try it, and let me know how it works. In order for this to work AT ALL, you must be very serious, and mean it when you look, freeze, growl, or snarl. If I show my teeth to my dogs, they leave the room.

JR0579

German Shepherds Rock

No he isn't hungry. Even if he is, I don't think that's an accetable behavior. What do you think.

Great advice. I'll do that. Thanks.
However, I was expecting a comment or two on me grabbing him by the scruff. I mean, that's what an alpha male would do if another tries getting to his food. Or am I mistaken ?

Thanks again

Debi

I don't think I'd grab by the scruff of the neck...you know, that type of aggression seldom gets results. have you fed him bits from the table before? I only ask because I have 2 dogs...Addie was given bits from the table, hence I created a dog that is a beggar. I've never given Ham bits from the table or my plate, hence he could care less what's there. I've eaten a meal with his head in my lap...he doesn't even consider it interesting (while Addie is salivating at my side) I'd continue with a firm NO, and suggestions given above.

R

RedyreRottweilers

I don't scruff dogs except for the most dire offenses of disrespect such as growling or attempting to bite.

Alphas do not control by physical means. Even a small dog can march large dogs around very efficiently if they have the right alpha attitude.

You must learn to put the subtle mental pressures on your dog that remind him he is your subordinate. This involves some physical posturing, but very little physical touching.

Work the direct stare/growling exercise until you get a response from your dog.

Read the Alpha Dog website again, and manage your dog's life in such a way that you are in the leadership position.

R

RedyreRottweilers

My dogs are fed from my plate during every meal.

They lie quietly with their chins touching the floor for their anticipated goodies.

Begging has nothing to do with feeding from your plate during or after meals.

It has everything to do with rewarding BEGGING BEHAVIOR, and not proper respectful behavior.

;)

Debi

actually, Addie sits quite ladylike. my thought was just to suggest that she KNOWS we are having something yummy because I've given it to her from the table. Ham doesn't know anything about food on the table. it has nothing to do with respect. :)

Your dog won't understand the "leave it" command unless he's had lots of practice and training with it. I find this to be a very useful command. All of my dogs know it and are great at it thanks to lots of practice, even my terrier mix who has been asbolutely OBSESSED with food since she was a puppy, LOL!

juliefurry

Rusty but Trusty
if he is jumping up on the counter to get food I would try scaring him when he gets up there. I have started putting down newspaper and then stacking empty popcans on them so when my lab or poodle jumps up on the counter the paper moves and the cans fall down. They get all freaked out and usually stay off the counter for awhile. My dogs lick the coffee table though too, no matter what, and it does get annoying but I just say no and usually they will stop. If they don't I will growl a no at them and usually then they will stop.

JR0579

German Shepherds Rock
juliefurry said:
if he is jumping up on the counter to get food I would try scaring him when he gets up there. I have started putting down newspaper and then stacking empty popcans on them so when my lab or poodle jumps up on the counter the paper moves and the cans fall down. They get all freaked out and usually stay off the counter for awhile. My dogs lick the coffee table though too, no matter what, and it does get annoying but I just say no and usually they will stop. If they don't I will growl a no at them and usually then they will stop.
No Julie he doesn't jump on the counter. His nose reaches the top of the dinner table and of course the coffee table without having to jump up.

Thanks to all of you for the advice and help

LabMumSF

Does your dog know the down-stay command? If not, I would train him on this ASAP. If you put him on a down-stay on his bed or away from the coffe table while you're eating, then he cannot beg. If at first he keeps getting up, I would leash him while he's on a down-stay and tie the leash to a sturdy piece of furniture or a weight. Pretty soon he'll learn that begging is not allowed and will settle down quietly while you eat.

Members online

No members online now.