Bunnys back legs collapsed? + taking action against pet store?

Hey everyone. I went into the pet store yesterday night and they showed me a bunny they have been keeping in the back so customers can't see it. They told me before showing her to me (I have given the employees advice on the animals before and they have taken steps to make these changes before, so I am always more than happy to lend a hand) that information about this is NOT to leave the store :)eek: I know) and of course I assured that it wouldn't so they would tell me what was going on. Well, one of their breeder bunnies is NOT doing okay. She has lost all movement in her back legs, cannot stand on them and when she walks she drags them behind her, when she needs to back up she puts her front legs in reverse, and pushes herself back until she is sitting on her hocks. I poked and prodded her everywhere and she didn't cry or scream, but I did notice what felt like a rib sticking out slightly further than the others. They assured me that this happened out of nowhere, that she hasn't shown signs of pain, etc. - she just lost movement in her back legs out of nowhere. I know nothing about bunnies, and told them I would look into it. What could this be? They won't take her to the vet, I already begged them to rush her to a vet and they refused. What can I do for this poor girl, besides reporting the pet store?
Which is the next topic... I am going to contact Pasado's Safe Haven right now to see if they can do anything, any other ideas? Should I make a police report? If it comes down to it I might be able to snap some pictures and videos, depending on how well I can time it. They're being really sneaky about this, but I'll certainly try.

It sounds like the poor bunny might have broken it's back and is now paralized. If this is the case then euthanasia is probably the only humane option for the poor girl. Either way if they're refusing to even have her seen by the vet when there is clearly something wrong with her then they need to be reported.

ACooper

It sounds like the poor bunny might have broken it's back and is now paralized. If this is the case then euthanasia is probably the only humane option for the poor girl. Either way if they're refusing to even have her seen by the vet when there is clearly something wrong with her then they need to be reported.
Agree.

crazedACD

In most states (a quick look says WA included) a retail pet store is not required to provide veterinary care for their animals.

You could maybe try filing a complaint with the Department of Agriculture, I'm not sure if your state requires pet stores to be inspected/licensed (I don't think so).

Xandra

If you run your fingers down her spine, she should flinch (i.e., the hide should twitch along her back)... if she doesn't do this, sounds like a broken back.

Have you asked them what their plan is? Just how long are they going to "wait and see" (sounds like that's what they're doing). If the rabbit isn't important enough to them to see a vet then they should put her down and get a replacement. This "well, hmmm, it's just a rabbit so we're not vetting it, but it's a bunny, we can't kill her" is the worst of both worlds, potentially pretty sucky for the animal in question. (I know you dont' have control over any of it. But it an annoying attitude.)

ACooper

In most states (a quick look says WA included) a retail pet store is not required to provide veterinary care for their animals.

You could maybe try filing a complaint with the Department of Agriculture, I'm not sure if your state requires pet stores to be inspected/licensed (I don't think so).
:eek: That is a terrible fact I never knew. I didn't look up my state, but if it's the norm, I'd say we're included.

Oh that makes me feel ill :(

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
Will they sell her to you? Or since she is no longer of breeding worth to them, maybe they would just let you have her. Then you could do what needs to be done, or find a rescue that will. I don't think your going to change them, and if you report they won't be asking your help anymore, which means the animals won't be getting your assistance.

Oh, that poor thing! Bunnies tend towards not showing signs of pain, that harks back to the "wild" where showing weakness puts them on a predator dinner plate.

Really sounds like they're trying to hide something, doesn't it? Ugh, so many things could have happened to that poor thing. I don't care if they told you not to tell (did you actually sign anything?) I'd be reporting it. Not getting that poor animal treatment is cruelty and they're making you complicit. Which really throws the whole "info not to leave the store" out the window anyway.

MicksMom

I agree with those who said it sounds like that poor rabbit has broken it's back. It really isn't all that hard for that to happen when a rabbit isn't handled properly. Even tho you agreed that what you saw wouldn't leave the store, I'm pretty sure they can't do anything if you report them. I think that's the route I'd go- call Animal Control.

Will they sell her to you? Or since she is no longer of breeding worth to them, maybe they would just let you have her. Then you could do what needs to be done, or find a rescue that will. I don't think your going to change them, and if you report they won't be asking your help anymore, which means the animals won't be getting your assistance.
If I remember right, PBL is already over extended with her rescues, so I don't think that would be a good idea.

Last edited:

milos_mommy

Not only is it possibly legal for them to do this, recording anything on their property without their permission won't hold up as evidence.

Dogdragoness

Happy Halloween!!
I don't know about WA, but here if you see animal cruelty like in a hoarding or puppy mill situation it is not illegal but if you report them without them getting a "heads up" & a chance to hide anything.

Shai

& the Muttly Crew
This "well, hmmm, it's just a rabbit so we're not vetting it, but it's a bunny, we can't kill her" is the worst of both worlds
^This. They need to man up and get her to a vet or humanely put her out of misery. Yesterday. There is no excuse for allowing an animal to suffer thus.

Honestly I don't know what a vet could even do in this situation besides put her down if her back is indeed broken. And they can do that themselves IF they have someone who knows what s/he is doing and isn't going to cause more suffering.

~Dixie's_Mom~

♥Chloe & Violet♥
I would ask if they would give the rabbit to you (Possibly even try threatening them if they say no. Something like "I don't want to report you, but I can't let this animal suffer. If you give it to me, I will make sure it doesn't suffer.") and then have the rabbit humanely euthanized.

MicksMom

I would ask if they would give the rabbit to you (Possibly even try threatening them if they say no. Something like "I don't want to report you, but I can't let this animal suffer. If you give it to me, I will make sure it doesn't suffer.") and then have the rabbit humanely euthanized.
Only problem is, PBL is struggling to get the rats she rescued the medical attention they need. Taking in another animal/paying for the euth isn't fair to her. I really think her best bet is to report the store and let the "authorities" handle it.

Romy

Taxiderpy

It's messed up, but this is true here. There was a pet store that had a box turtle with an abscess that ate all the way through her shell into her body cavity. When I asked about it, she'd been that way for an entire year. They sold her to me at wholesale price and I was able to get her fixed up, but talk about horrific.

If the bunny's back is broken, euthanasia is probably the kindest option. :(

crazedACD

I believe your best bet would be (when you go back), ask how the bunny is doing. If they say she is the same, I would really press onto them that she should probably be euthanized if they can't vet her. Letting her stay in that condition isn't right.

Grab

She may not be keeping it, but it does cost a bit to euthanize even a small animal at a vet.

Kilter

She could take the bunny to the local HS, who could then do what's needed. Letting the bunny suffer on legal issues isn't right. If they don't let her have the bunny, report them.

Members online

No members online now.