Oh my! 77lb Dachshund!

Toller_08

It's my understanding that the original owner was elderly and possibly had dementia, and a family member eventually intervened. Too bad it wasn't sooner, though. :(

I think he's already lost something like 3-4 pounds, too, so... so far, so good.
Aw, that's really too bad. I didn't realize that. Still really sad though and it is unfortunate the other family members let it get so far. :-(

That's good he's making progress, though!

*blackrose

"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
That is just horrible. Ugh.

I wonder if he has some underlying health issue that let him get THAT big. The only dogs I've seen that overweight are ones with thyroid issues or diabetes (or both).

Barbara!

If you read through, the dog has had blood work done and all (surprisingly) has come back clear. They are also feeding the carrots to help him feel full.
Thing is though, she claims to have courses in nutrition. If she did, she would know that carrots=sugar, and should be fed in moderation, if at all to a dog that is so severely overweight.

Romy

Taxiderpy
Thing is though, she claims to have courses in nutrition. If she did, she would know that carrots=sugar, and should be fed in moderation, if at all to a dog that is so severely overweight.
Yeah, it seems like steamed broccoli or zucchini would be a lot better for that.

AllieMackie

Wookie Collie
Agreed with others. Why so many carrots? Why not green beans, peas or another less sweet fillerfood?

Anyone posting anything constructive seems to get posts deleted on the FB page. Nothing but praise and donations. Sigh.

ACooper

:( That makes me so sad. In a breed that can develop back problems under normal circumstances, this guy has to be miserable.

I also agree with the carrot thing. Seriously, green beans or broccoli is a much better choice for helping him feel full without adding much sugar and many more calories. And I always lean towards broccoli due to all the nutritious content.......more calcium than milk, cancer fighting agents, yadda yadda yadda.

Emily

Rollin' with my bitches
\And I always lean towards broccoli due to all the nutritious content.......more calcium than milk, cancer fighting agents, yadda yadda yadda.
Except for the fart factor... :eek: jk

I can't believe how fat this dog is. I really can't.

ACooper

Oh ya, can't deny that! hahahaha.......but that's why I also make sure Orson has sweet potatoes. Doesn't stop the farts, but does minimize and also helps the smell IMO.
(sweet potatoes are also cancer fighting! win/win, LOL)

yoko

If his owner did have dementia I do feel bad for the owner and the dog. But why did the family wait SO LONG before helping him?

If it is true then I am glad the dog is slowly losing weight but I find the group to be kind of... I don't know the word... iffy? They won't let anyone with legitimate advice post and they aren't reporting what they are getting as 'donations' and how much of the 'donations' they have spent on the dog. That is kind of a GIANT red flag for me.

Barbara!

If his owner did have dementia I do feel bad for the owner and the dog. But why did the family wait SO LONG before helping him?

If it is true then I am glad the dog is slowly losing weight but I find the group to be kind of... I don't know the word... iffy? They won't let anyone with legitimate advice post and they aren't reporting what they are getting as 'donations' and how much of the 'donations' they have spent on the dog. That is kind of a GIANT red flag for me.
Nope, definitely not the only one. She also claims to have courses in nutrition... But I have yet to see anything that suggests that she has more than a mediocre understanding of dog health. The whole site is basically just "give us money or praise or go away".

yoko

Nope, definitely not the only one. She also claims to have courses in nutrition... But I have yet to see anything that suggests that she has more than a mediocre understanding of dog health. The whole site is basically just "give us money or praise or go away".
Ok the word I was thinking of was shady XD I just had a brain fart.

But yeah that is exactly what I am seeing. They do have a disclaimer saying they even edit posts. So I kind of wonder how many are really saying what is shown for them to be saying. If that makes sense lol

Honestly, if I had taken this dog on and I had already developed a plan for how I was going to get him to lose weight, I probably wouldn't listen to any "advice" either. No matter how well intentioned it was... and honestly most of it is more about being critical and right IMO than giving well-intentioned advice... any diet is going to need a chance to work, and I would give what I had decided to do time to work rather than jump around from one thing to the next based on FB comments from god-knows-who.

I mean, just look at this thread here where most of what people have to say is grousing about how she's feeding the dog from ONE picture of ONE bowl of carrots, and imagine that negative crap on your progress page. I wouldn't want that on my FB page, either, honestly.

If you don't like it, don't look at it. If you think the money stuff is hinky, then don't donate. If you think she doesn't know jack about nutrition, then feed the 77 pound doxie you take in however you like. But jebus, it has nothing to do with any of us.

For some reason this thread here is really getting under my skin out of all proportion to its actual importance in my life. It just really bothers me how something that should clearly be something everyone can get behind - taking in an obese rescue and trying to get him to lose weight - just turns into another steaming pile of OMG UR DOING IT WROOOONGGGGG!!!11!!

Honestly, if I had taken this dog on and I had already developed a plan for how I was going to get him to lose weight, I probably wouldn't listen to any "advice" either. No matter how well intentioned it was... and honestly most of it is more about being critical and right IMO than giving well-intentioned advice... any diet is going to need a chance to work, and I would give what I had decided to do time to work rather than jump around from one thing to the next based on FB comments from god-knows-who.

I mean, just look at this thread here where most of what people have to say is grousing about how she's feeding the dog from ONE picture of ONE bowl of carrots, and imagine that negative crap on your progress page. I wouldn't want that on my FB page, either, honestly.

If you don't like it, don't look at it. If you think the money stuff is hinky, then don't donate. If you think she doesn't know jack about nutrition, then feed the 77 pound doxie you take in however you like. But jebus, it has nothing to do with any of us.

For some reason this thread here is really getting under my skin out of all proportion to its actual importance in my life. It just really bothers me how something that should clearly be something everyone can get behind - taking in an obese rescue and trying to get him to lose weight - just turns into another steaming pile of OMG UR DOING IT WROOOONGGGGG!!!11!!
I'm totally glad she started removing posts because I already got snippy on the facebook itself over 1. People, even good natured, suggesting things. Largely annoying things like "Well if he won't eat his broccoli have you tried melting cheese over the top?" Yes, melt cheese over the vegetables of the super obese dog. 2. People focus on all the **** that doesn't matter and were voicing concerns over his name being change. HIS NAME.

So yeah, if people were complaining on my page and requesting to see where private donations were going I would delete it too.

Barbara!

We worry because we are dog lovers. Would you give a fearful dog to a trainer who uses corrections? Then why give an obese dog to a "nutritionist" who feeds sugars? I did not base my opinion off of one photo...I based it off of several photos, her own posts on his diet and food intake, and her own posts on what appears to be her idea of his "exercise". It is only right that we, as dog lovers, should be concerned for the welfare of another dog when we feel he is being handled by someone incompetent. The general feel of the site is "shady", as was said. Also, if she doesn't want all sorts of comments/advice, she shouldn't have made a Facebook page.

sillysally

Obey the Toad.

This. It honestly seems like people are just looking for something to be critical about. So she isn't doing it how *you* (collective) think it should be done (and I don't think anyone here are canine nutricionists either)--get over it. And gee, I can't imagine why she wouldn't want the advice of 17473647 random internet people :eek:

MisssAshby

Richy Rich HM Twit!

Well said. I will say that I would have gone about getting him to loose weight in a different way, but that isn't important. What IS important is that he IS loosing weight, isn't that the main goal? I just hope he gets back to a healthy weight and doesn't have any long term issues.

yoko

I am not too worried about how she is feeding the dog. If it is losing weight then thats fine and I hope it continues to.

My issue is that all it takes is one thing like this to have it come out that all the donations aren't going to that dog to turn people off from donating. It may not be a rescue or a shelter so the rational thing would be to realize they aren't connected. But as we know people aren't rational and I'd rather not have people not wanting to donate to legitimate causes because they got burned when they thought they were helping.

Me pointing out their failure in posting costs and donations isn't me saying 'omgz they doing it wrong!!' it's pointing out that what they are doing is kind of shady and people don't really know where their money is going.

Members online

No members online now.