When did crating your dog become a crime?

Kat09Tails

*Now with Snark*
o_O The divide is pretty simple most of the time. People have no idea WTF they're talking about and make complaints based upon some ideal that they think they saw in a book or movie.

A great example of this is at every grocery store around here right now they have eggs from a 100% vegetarian fed chicken at $4 a dozen. Great... since when are chickens vegetarians?

Great... since when are chickens vegetarians?
Umm....OMG I NEVER thought of it. They don't eat grains? EEEWWW I don't wanna eat Chicken anymore. Not sure why though. :p

This article is sad, but I have come across it. My Father in law gave his German Shepherd a mild correction on a flat collar years ago and some people walking by accosted him and started yelling and threatening to call the police for his animal abuse. Mild correction that was needed. Society is sad right now.

A friend had animal control called because her horses were "Blindfolded in the field". They had flymasks on, but even after AC left, the neighbor continued to verbally harass her for them.

I'm on 3 acres with no neighbors and solid walls on my perimeter. Paranoid, who me??

Kat09Tails

*Now with Snark*
Umm....OMG I NEVER thought of it. They don't eat grains? EEEWWW I don't wanna eat Chicken anymore. Not sure why though. :p
Chickens are omnivores. They eat mice, snakes, grass, grain, bugs, or anything else that doesn't run away fast enough or able to defend itself. In the old days my grandfather regularly fed the chickens trim, varmints, or the skinned dead fur bearers that he shot while hunting. That along with feed, sunlight, and pasture is a balanced chicken diet.

I don't quite get why, but we seem to have entered into an age where people think their opinions are facts and that Every. Little. Thing. is worthy of legislation more and more and more. I don't know if it's because with modern communication it's so easy to find like-minded individuals to validate yourself these days or what. And the stuff that seems more important - like, what kind of life do people have with their dogs when they are not crated - seems to get overlooked in favor of OMG CRATE BAD TIE OUT BAD.

It's not like there aren't enough real problems in the world - or maybe for some people there aren't enough real problems in their world. Idle hands go looking for trouble, I suppose.

Chickens are omnivores. They eat mice, snakes, grass, grain, bugs, or anything else that doesn't run away fast enough or able to defend itself. In the old days my grandfather regularly fed the chickens trim, varmints, or the skinned dead fur bearers that he shot while hunting. That along with feed, sunlight, and pasture is a balanced chicken diet.
chickens eat chicken too :)

I think the vegetarian feed thing is playing on people's fears of stuff like mad cow disease/other boogeymen transmitted in feed made from animals. Not saying it's a legitimate fear, just by way of a marketing explanation.

Miakoda

The movement garnered momentum by medializing the "pitiful" plight of dogs kept on chains and cable tie-outs. Even people, who kennel their dogs, jumped on the bandwagon. And then they realized that the wagon was headed for their homes to liberate and save the dogs from cruelty caused by being crated/kenneled...

These types of people conveniently chose to overlook the active cruelty and neglect laws, and instead find ways to garner themselves 15 minutes of fame for being "heroes".

My basic argument is this:

Chains, tethers, kennels, and crates are inanimate objects uncapable of causing cruelty and/or neglect onto living beings.

ravennr

ಥ⌣ಥ
Exactly. Why create more laws if we are finding ourselves incapable of the ones we already have in place? No dogs will stop suffering because of it. We need to get more people interested in helping animals, and enforce the animal welfare act as it is already written. There's a reason we don't have the 'Animal Rights Act' and I'd personally like to see that it's kept that way.

ravennr

ಥ⌣ಥ
If the chicken that chased me around as a child is any indication of what chickens eat, then I would like to add 'children' to their list of preferred foods.

I am sure that thing was trying to eat me.

LMAO! Where we live we have HUGE ravens. They will sit in the trees and look in the windows of the house and it keeps running through my head, "Yep, they'd eat me."

Ok I will admit to myself chickens eat chickens. Just had some YUMMY Coq au Vin, so I guess I'm not much better.

ravennr

ಥ⌣ಥ
LMAO! Where we live we have HUGE ravens. They will sit in the trees and look in the windows of the house and it keeps running through my head, "Yep, they'd eat me."

Ok I will admit to myself chickens eat chickens. Just had some YUMMY Coq au Vin, so I guess I'm not much better.
Because my name is Raven, I always get associated with the birds.
People would joke about it. "Your family is circling me make them stop!" :rofl1:

Miakoda

It's a chicken eat chicken world out there. :D

These laws are nothing more than "feel good" laws. They enable someone to feel good about themself, as if they actually did something positive to save a poor wittle doggy, yet it requires hardly any real effort on their part.

Dogs Deserve Better is an organization with which I have GINORMOUS issues. I might even despise them more than PETA. They advocate the stealing, err rescuing, of any dog seen on a chain/tie-out (regardless of whether the dogs are actually suffering of cruelty or neglect. In fact, they even advertised when they were going to be in certain areas, and they wanted people to give them the addresses of dogs that are tethered (whether 5 minutes or 24 hours). I was kinda hoping they would've shown up at my house. I had my 30.06 and .22 in prime working order.

ravennr

ಥ⌣ಥ
I can't stand either of them. They both seem to like to steal pets, or let them go to run out into the world and die, when there is nothing wrong with them. I'm sure DDB has helped SOME abused dogs, but the sweeping generalizations have hurt far more than they've helped. I've had first-hand experience of that with people trying to get me to sign their petitions to pass anti-tether laws in the place I moved here from in VA. I got an earfull of BS when I stated why I refused to sign that petition.

These people seem to rally behind dogs having feelings and emotions, and hey, that's great, I agree, they have those things. But dogs are also individuals, and just because you saw a dog on a chain that was neglected and miserable doesn't mean that my dog sitting on a tether for an hour or three hours is going to mentally scar him and cause him to shut down and go on a rampage killing children. When you ask for proof of what they claim, they can't give it to you. But they want to make it law? Get out of here with that.

Members online

No members online now.