Paleo diet?

ravennr

ಥ⌣ಥ
My roommate printed me a GIANT cookbook, it's a paleo diet cookbook.
I don't follow an actual diet plan, other than the fact that we rarely eat meat and I make lots of soup, so I can use the cookbook, ditch the meat most of the time and get good recipes.

But what is a paleo diet? Is it still a paleo diet if you reverse the amount of meat (and drop it drastically) and increase the amount of everything else? Or is that something entirely different?

Googling this gave me nothing I could readily understand. Except that apparently the paleo diet comes with lots of debate.

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
Any sort of diet like that where it's a major shift in your eating style comes with a lot of debate... just look at the debates on low carb we've had here!

Technically I think part of paleo is the high animal protein. I would think otherwise you're basically just going low carb and eating fresh, LOL.

Lilavati

Arbitrary and Capricious
Just be careful about eating everything raw, if that's what it recommends. Raw food IS a good way to lose weight, but it puts you at risk of loosing too much weight, and too many nutrients, too fast.

Paleo is basically eating like we would have as a hunter gatherer people. No dairy, no grains, fruits, roots, berries, veggies, meats. and some others I haven't tried yet, like bone marrow :)

Lilavati

Arbitrary and Capricious
Paleo is basically eating like we would have as a hunter gatherer people. No dairy, no grains, fruits, roots, berries, veggies, meats. and some others I haven't tried yet, like bone marrow :)
Bone marrow is delicious. But very, very fattening. Its sort of like foie gras . . .without the cruelty.

cliffdog

Paleo diet just means eating in a biologically appropriate way, or eating the way our ancestors ate before farming, back when we were hunter/gatherers. The theory is that our bodies are equipped by evolution to eat the foods that nature provided... meat, fruit, veggies, nuts, etc. Not foods that we've farmed and processed. What I understand of it, it doesn't matter whether you eat mostly veggie, it's just about eating the way nature intended.

Dekka

Just try me..
Yes basically paleo is no modern foods. So you can have all the fruits, nuts, meat and veggies you want :)

When I am done losing weight I plan to eat a more 'paleo' way. Only with dairy... not about to give up cheese :D

Its kind of like eating 'raw' for dogs. Its a more biologically sound way for humans to eat. Our evolution hasn't caught up to our food lifestyle.

ravennr

ಥ⌣ಥ
I read something that said that grains were eaten towards the upper paleo era, starting about 13,000 years before the end of the era. Very interesting stuff, anyway.

What exactly does it mean to eat raw when you're a human? Is it uncooked, or unprocessed, or both?

As you can see

Dakotah

Kotah BEAR
My dad does this diet. He has done GREAT on it.

He has been doing it for about a year (in March) and he has lost upwards of 60 pounds.

I started doing it and I lost 20 lbs in 2 months, I lost it fast, to some people. But once I start losing weight, I keep losing it until I've stopped a diet/workout session/etc for about a month.

Honestly, I think if you have a bunch of weight you want to lose in a certain amount of time, go for it. If you have just 10-15 lbs you want to lose by the summer, do it.

Its a great diet. And I have heard nothing but good things about it from my dad, my uncle, and my 2 cousins that do it due to my dad.

Bone marrow is delicious. But very, very fattening. Its sort of like foie gras . . .without the cruelty.
I have not tried it yet, did you make it? or did you have it somewhere? Basically the recipe I have for it, is cut the bones to about 4 inches, salt and pepper over top of marrow cavity and bake in oven till it starts to bubble then eat with something, I forget what :)

I'm not concerned with fat, as long as it's not from corn fed beef I'm fine with it. The more I research, the more i'm leaning towards no grains, moderate protein and high fat diets. I just have to deprogram myself from the many decades of public policy "education" approach to nutrition pushed in this country.

on a side note about grains, when they started seeing the cultivation and consumption of them as part of the regular diet, that's when fossil evidence of things like tooth decay and inflammatory joint conditions like arthritis started to show up. I think i may have mentioned that in a thread before, but if not, I am now :) just something to think about.

ravennr

ಥ⌣ಥ
I had no idea it's meant to help you lose weight. Hmmm, my boyfriend might be more interested in this than me for that. I'm 5'6" and 120 at my heaviest ( I know that is underweight for some charts, but my doctor always said I'm just fine and that I should covet this while my metabolism is still fast, LOL) so weight loss isn't my first concern.

I do want to be able to FEEL good though. I see so many people trying new diets and saying how much better they feel, or how much energy they have. That's what I'm really after. Especially lately feeling so blah, physically and mentally.

Dekka

Just try me..
Its not meant for you to lose weight. Any more than feeding a dog raw is. Often feeding raw WILL help a dog look their best, but thats not the main goal.

I hope to move to a more paleo diet AFTER I have lost weight.

ravennr

ಥ⌣ಥ
Got it.

One more thing: what grains are the best/easiest to stay away from? I have to go grocery shopping tonight, so I figure it's as good a time as any, while my cupboards need full re-stocking, to understand what I should try to avoid regardless of if I'm strict on this sort of diet.

I was never taught much about food. :\
My mother is Paula Deen, sans the diabetes.

Lilavati

Arbitrary and Capricious
I have not tried it yet, did you make it? or did you have it somewhere? Basically the recipe I have for it, is cut the bones to about 4 inches, salt and pepper over top of marrow cavity and bake in oven till it starts to bubble then eat with something, I forget what :)
Its sort of an "in" thing here. I've had it as an appetizer (like pate) and on top of a gourmet burger . . . and I learned to suck it out of the bones of chops and roasts as a kid. I've never tried making it as a separate dish, mostly because I don't have a practical way to split large bones.

Lilavati

Arbitrary and Capricious
Got it.

One more thing: what grains are the best/easiest to stay away from? I have to go grocery shopping tonight, so I figure it's as good a time as any, while my cupboards need full re-stocking, to understand what I should try to avoid regardless of if I'm strict on this sort of diet.

I was never taught much about food. :\
My mother is Paula Deen, sans the diabetes.
Well, I'd stay away from processed grains myself, and stick to the most whole grains you can get. So all the white grains are out . . . that's what we've done . . . and discovered it tastes better if nothing else.

MafiaPrincess

Obvious trollsare Obvious
Got it.

One of the tenets of paleo is no grains. Pretty much all the grains we as a society eat are foreign.

AliciaD

On second thought...
What exactly does it mean to eat raw when you're a human? Is it uncooked, or unprocessed, or both?
Basically nothing you eat is brought to a temperature greater than 115 F (46 C). There's some debate about the actual temperature at which the enzymes you cook die at, but all my raw friends tend to stay below 115. You can blend it, soak it, dehydrate it, etc, so long as you pay attention to temperature.

All the Raw foodists I know are also vegan, but you can also buy unpasteurized raw milk, etc.

Lilavati

Arbitrary and Capricious
Basically nothing you eat is brought to a temperature greater than 115 F (46 C). There's some debate about the actual temperature at which the enzymes you cook die at, but all my raw friends tend to stay below 115. You can blend it, soak it, dehydrate it, etc, so long as you pay attention to temperature.

All the Raw foodists I know are also vegan, but you can also buy unpasteurized raw milk, etc.
Note that a lot of research says that a raw diet is not natural to human beings, and in fact fire and cooking predate modern humans. Just something to take into account if you want to try it . . . you are not a chimpanzee.

Dekka

Just try me..
Ya I don't think raw is terribly natural to humans. There are loads of examples of very early man cooking. THAT we have evolved to. (Not saying raw things aren't good, just that our digestive systems are adapted to cooked foods)

Members online

No members online now.