Opinions on this horse...conformation etc....

Muggie'sMum

Mistress Wigglebutt
Personally, I do feel he's a bit overpriced for what you're looking for. If you are going to spend that much money now, you should intend to get something that has the POTENTIAL to go farther, especially when there are some cheaper options a little farther away - I am not sure what the market is like there, but for that much here you could buy an accomplished horse that could take you FARTHER. And if you have to spend a little more - are you always going to want to do just local shows?

This is why we always encourage our clients to buy something of better quality and a little more money, if they have to - if they buy a cheap colt now that is *not quite* what they are looking for, down the road when they decide that they want to show, they will have to invest MORE money in something that is BETTER quality and be that much farther behind with the training, get what I mean?

I am a big stickler for balance, and I know "what" I like and what I don't, but could I name it? NO! I am reading Deb Bennett's Principles of Conformation Analysis right now so I can try and "put words" to the feelings I have when I look at horses. I don't feel that he is exceptionally balanced, something just looks a little "off" for me.

Kmh1

Muggie'smum did you also check out the horse the horse at www.123apache.com ? He is 15k Canadian--seems very experienced--its just a little tricky to get up and see him....
and believe me I've thought long and hard about my goals and price range etc--mostly I want to have fun--yes I'm competitive--and I've been the extremely competitive route--sure part of me would like to get back full time with a trainer, travel etc, but I just can't take that on right now--what I can do is the local circuit, day trips etc. Even though I'm looking at a few higher priced horses--I'm just not sure I need all that much horse for my goals--which is sort of why I think the spotted horse appealed to me--and I do think his price is very negotiable...I'm also a sucker for a project--as long as its not too difficult!

BostonBanker

Is there more info on the Canadian horse than that one page with the videos? I'm curious what exactly they are marketing him as. I have to say, watching his flat work makes my abs hurt! He appears to be leaning very heavily on the bit. It looks nice because his neck is round and the connection is steady (well, mostly)...but it just looks like so much work. You can see it over fences, as well.

The POA actually appeals to me the most of the three horses, but that may just be because I'm not a "spots" person! However, I worry when people jump that much so early on.

Of course, there is no way to tell without trying them out! You've been pretty clear what your goals are. Just about any horse with all four legs still attached can jump around a 2'6" course, and, at least on our local circuit, if you can find all eight jumps and get your changes, you are going to be in the ribbons more often than not. If this horse is going to be your backyard buddy, find the one with the temperment you like the best, and go from there.

Kmh1

I don't have the equine.com link handy, but the canadian spotted horse is being marketed as an experienced dressage horse, confirmed 3rd level work, that easily jumps 3'-3'6 and is in eventing training with a junior.
I agree BostonBanker, for my goals, the one I get along with best and find the most comfortable and fun is the way to go.
I hope you all don't mind if I keep posting prospects from time to time--I really do appreciate the feedback and opinions! Thanks--I'll be sure to let you all know how I make out this weekend with "spot" LOL!!!

Well, I went and saw the Virginia spotted horse yesterday---it was cold, windy and drizzling rain--worst possible conditions --I'm sure he was up way more than usual--but he was just WAY too green for what I want at this stage--so so so fussy with his head and his transitions were not good at all--even for his trainer--he is steady over fences, but needs so much work--more than I want to take on --so, the search continues.......

Absolutely! --and I have so much time before I "need" to get one--just can't resist starting the search! I have a few closer to home to look at hopefully within the next couple of weeks or so--I'm glad I satisfied my curiosity about "spot" though. I just can't get to Ontario anytime soon to see the other spotted horse--I think my fascination with spots is running its course now! all my other prospects so far are reasonably traditional I think. Keep me in mind if you know of any cute geldings for sale. I'll post some more prospect links shortly so I can get more feed back before I go look. Thanks!

BostonBanker

Definitely post prospects! I will live vicariously through you. I love horse shopping, but never get to do much. I always seem to find the right one immediately. It actually took us two trips to find Tristan - that was the longest I've searched.

Thanks--and I know exactly what you mean--I've hardly ever gotten to shop around-- usually the right horse "appeared" very quickly --I'm actually hoping I can contain myself and try out quite a few so I know I am really getting the one I truly like best! Here's several more possibilities I'm looking into--no appointments to go see yet....
http://www.dreamhorse.com/show_horse.php?form_horse_id=877910
http://www.dreamhorse.com/show_horse.php?form_horse_id=911161
http://www.dreamhorse.com/show_horse.php?form_horse_id=907935
http://www.equine.com/horses/ad_details.aspx?lid=339780
http://www.equine.com/horses/ad_details.aspx?lid=341525
Which do you like best for whatever reason? I really appreciate everyone's input--and Bostonbanker, you were dead on about the spotted horse.
When you get a chance, can you post some pics of Tristan? I'd love to see your boy!

Members online

No members online now.