Question about growling

Dirk

Yesterday morning, I was preparing to go to church so I took my pup outside to do his business before I left for church. Just before I took him back into the house, he got excited about something he was sniffing in the grass. He started digging with a lot of excitement. I didn't have time for this so I picked him up. When I picked him up, he growled and nipped my wrist but not hard enough to cut skin. He did this to my wife too when she picked him up. He wouldn't leave the neighbor's driveway because he wanted to keep playing with the neighbor's kids.

Is this typical behavior? Is there something I should be doing when this happens?

bubbatd

It's typical in a pup that hasn't been socialized .....seek help !

otch1

Hello Dirk... what kind of dog is this and how old is he? There's a difference between mouthing and actual biting. The mouthing being the grabbing and softer chewing/knawing a pup tries to do with mom and litter mates in play, or when trying to communicate a dislike, ect. Still painful because of how sharp their puppy teeth are. Then there's a bite... that's displayed as a quick, hard snap meant to make contact with you and one that you'll be able to feel, according to that puppies size, was as hard as he could deliver. Big difference. If your puppies old enough, with all vaccines in place, it's time for puppy class! There, you'll be able to have the controlled distractions that excite him (families, kids and other puppies), but everyone is on leash so your puppy isn't getting in any inappropriate play-time by being off leash with neighbor kids. The two biting incidences you were concerned enough to post were both when he was off leash and out of your control. In class, you'll have the assistance of a trainer when correcting the pup and also the imput on how to reward appropriate behavior. Timing on corrections and praise is very important. Hope you have a good school in your area, and you go armed ( training equipment, treats, whatever trainer requires) and ready to do business!!

Dirk

He's an 11 week old lab mix. I don't know the mix. We adopted him from an animal rescue. His litter was abandoned. My vet thinks he has terrier in him.

Thanks to all!

Members online

No members online now.