I hate fireworks

Doberluv

Poor Chulita, in her old age has become really afraid of them. She didn't use to be so much. I couldn't get her to go outside yesterday except once in the morning. All day they're popping these things off and really crazy at night. The poor dog just cowers and won't go pee. I had to lock her in her crate when I wasn't watching her and I kept trying to take her out to go, but she didn't until early this morning. Jose` isn't much bothered by them. I hate them with a passion...at least in neighborhoods. I think they ought to be kept in one place where the pro's set them off as a show and not all throughout everywhere. The whole area was foggy from the smoke of these things. It's really a big deal around here.

When I lived in Idaho, people set them off, but not too many and they were quite a distance away. One of the resorts put on a big show and everyone would go to the lake to watch them. That was the best way I think. We weren't forced into being bombarded by incredibly loud explosive blasts all night long. The poor animals.:(:mad:

Yes, that's a very good point:
A friend brought up a very good point at a BBQ today, why do we insist on setting off fireworks in the name of independence when it causes so many issues for many of those who fought/are fighting for that independence (PTSD).

JessLough

Love My Mutt
A friend brought up a very good point at a BBQ today, why do we insist on setting off fireworks in the name of independence when it causes so many issues for many of those who fought/are fighting for that independence (PTSD).
Yep. As somebody who deals with customers who are dealing with PTSD quite often, they wonder the same thing.

*blackrose

"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
I really have no desire to sit at home and set my own fireworks off...they're loud and pointless. Now, when my dad and my brother had a fireworks show down and each went out and bought their own fireworks and gave us a mini show while competing with one another...that was fun. LOL But if I'm going to be making loud noises with gunpowder out at the house, I'd rather be shooting.

We normally watch a firework show put on by the city my Grandma lives in...but they canceled it this year due to the burn bans. And the fireworks are set off from a barge in the middle of a lake. And it rained the three days prior. :/ But, you know, whatever.

~Dixie's_Mom~

♥Chloe & Violet♥
I love them! It's like... magic. I used to be scared when my dad would set them off (had a bad experience where a sparkler fell into a box of fireworks and had several fireworks go off right in my face) but even then, I thought they were beautiful once they had been set off, and I ascertained that they wouldn't be coming straight for me lol!

AdrianneIsabel

Glutton for Crazy
I don't hate them I'm just pretty apathetic about them. I have 0 interest in going anywhere to watch them, setting them off, or really anything else to do with them.

I do get annoyed when people do stupid things like set them off in major drought conditions or set them off constantly. We had neighbors where we used to live who set them off from about June 1 to October 1. Which is dumb and gets old.

Fortunately my dogs are as apathetic about them as I am. The first explosions barely garnered an ear twitch and since then there's been no reaction at all.
this.

SarahHound

I've never liked them, and quite a few people call me a wimp. I don't really care now. It's just one of those things, I don't like loud noises and never have done. Balloons are another thing. I really don't like them, unless they are those kiddy balloons that I know don't pop horrifically loud. I don't like them, but I can deal with them being around me.

Miakoda

I actually like them. However, I like them down on the Mississippi River by the U.S.S. Kidd.

As I've gotten older and have children, I hate them being shot off in the neighborhoods. It keeps the kids awake all hours of the night. It scares them when they're woken up suddenly due to a big boom....or a firework hitting off their bedroom window as happened last night. grrrrr

And my horses hate them as well.

Oh, and let's not forget to mention that people always do them at the end of their driveways facing away from their home, but pointing them directly across the street and their neighbor's home. I'm sick and tired of cleaning up firework crap out of my yard.

sparks19

I'd rather be at Disney
I've never liked them, and quite a few people call me a wimp. I don't really care now. It's just one of those things, I don't like loud noises and never have done. Balloons are another thing. I really don't like them, unless they are those kiddy balloons that I know don't pop horrifically loud. I don't like them, but I can deal with them being around me.
I really enjoy fireworks. Not setting off our own but going to a nice display. We went to the local baseball game last night and they had a nice big display after the game. very fun

But balloons... yeah I hate those things. Hannah loves balloons but I am always so tense when she plays with them. Popping Balloons is torture for me.

The dogs aren't bothered by them at all thankfully. If Beezer is outside and he hears one he'll puff up his chest and bark... PFFT lol. but other than that they don't care.

RD

Are you dead yet?
I love them. I love the seizure-inducing lights and the noise and even the little firecrackers that are fun to throw at people's feet to scare the hell out of them. I like the big expensive shows and I like the smaller scale ones you can do at home.

I normally avoid them because my service dog hates everything to do with fireworks. But oh man do I love them.

Doberluv

Mia, my Arabian horses were so freaked out by them that I had to tranquilize them...had to get a vet to prescribe something. I was afraid they'd hurt themselves otherwise. They'd get all frothed up, tearing around like mad, absolutely wildly afraid. I was afraid they'd run through a fence and locking them up in stalls was even worse. They'd rear and they might hurt themselves that way. It was a nightmare for them. The horse I had as a kid though, wasn't fazed by them. He was born on the 4th of July and his name was Skyrocket. LOL.

I dont mind fireworks, and my dogs tolerate them well. My favorites as a kid were Roman candles and the ones that popped out little parachute guys. My issue is the leaving of trash all over like it's to be expected. Shoot a firework in the air, some kind of trash is going to be landing on the roof, neighbor's roof, etc. And kicking over the burnt shell of ground-based fireworks to light the next one doesn't constitute "cleaning up." This year, IMO, everyone who shot off fireworks was putting us all at risk because of the extreme dry, hot weather. Our neighbors conscientiously watered Their lawn, so then only ours was in danger. Lol!

Xandra

I love them. I love the seizure-inducing lights and the noise and even the little firecrackers that are fun to throw at people's feet to scare the hell out of them. I like the big expensive shows and I like the smaller scale ones you can do at home.
Yes this, I do love fireworks. (not a big fan of balloons under pressure though lol)

joce

I love the colors. I'm simple lol! I just love the noise and rumbles to. Last night it was thunder and fireworks.

My dogs and horses are used to us shooting right next to them so they don't bat an eye. Never had one it bothered or I may think otherwise but as much as we shoot I dont know how they'd survive.

We have neighbors that set them off for a week before and after. We just sit and watch in between feedings.

poodlesmom

I love going to watch the professional shows! Really missed it this year - where my daughter used to live we could sit in her backyard and have excellent seats to see the whole show.

On the other hand thoe put off by in neighorhoods that aren't really controlled make me very nervous.

One of the guys I work with told me today about his scary time he had yesterday evening. He was sitting in his kitchen at the table when all of a sudden he was hit in his shoulder. Neighbor's kids were setting off fireworks and one of them knocked out his window screen and entered his house and hit him! They had to pour quite a bit of water on it after it landed on the floor to put it out and he sure has quite a bruise on his shoulder. Had it been a little higher it would have gotten him right in th face!:yikes:

sillysally

Obey the Toad.
My mare was never really scared of them. The first year or two we owned her she would get a little startled, but between semi tires blowing out on the highway, the park ranger shooting range not too far away, and my dad lighting off fireworks she was handling it like a boss by year three.

Jack isn't rattled by the fireworks at all. Sally was a little bothered by the sheer volume of stuff the neighbors were lighting off on Tuesday night and retreated into the dining room where it was quieter and she couldn't see the flashes, but I thought it was a very appropriate way for her to handle her discomfort.

sillysally

Obey the Toad.
Mia, my Arabian horses were so freaked out by them that I had to tranquilize them...had to get a vet to prescribe something. I was afraid they'd hurt themselves otherwise. They'd get all frothed up, tearing around like mad, absolutely wildly afraid. I was afraid they'd run through a fence and locking them up in stalls was even worse. They'd rear and they might hurt themselves that way. It was a nightmare for them. The horse I had as a kid though, wasn't fazed by them. He was born on the 4th of July and his name was Skyrocket. LOL.
Maybe it's an Arabian thing--lol. My best friend in school had an Arab gelding that would be beside himself if anyone lit off fireworks near him. They were afraid he'd go through the fence he was so upset one year so we brought him to my house to hang out with my mare. He was still nervous but she was his BFF, so I think seeing her chill about the whole thing helped.

Romy

Taxiderpy
I love explosions and stuff. If it was a bigger field I would have totally gone to school to be a pyrotechnician and build explosives. Chemistry? Blowing stuff up? :D

My dogs don't care about the big ones. Strider tries to attack the small ones you can buy on the street corner because he thinks they're really loud glittery animals that would be fun to hunt. They've both been to big professional shows though, and loved all the people and attention. Neither showed any signs of stress the whole time (no panting, lip licking, etc.).

Members online

No members online now.