Advice

corykins22

ok, so this has nothing to do with actual puppy problems from my own dogs or anything. im just wanting some advice, or ideas, of what i should do with my college career. ok, im going to school for interior design, which i am interested in. but now, like a year away from graduating, im getting extremely burnt out and starting to think this isnt the right career for me. i would really enjoy being a dog trainer, but i dont want to completely drop out of college. but why have a degree and spend the money on something i might not use? eventually, i would like to be a dog trainer, maybe a grooming lisence. there's a business in north carolina that makes custom doghouses, and children playhouses. i really liked that idea, i could use my designing and my love for dogs. but still, i dont think i need a degree for that. i have just been so frustrated lately with this program and learning that all the jobs are in commercial fields, like healthcare and such and im not interested. i dont know what to do. i have worked with dogs for years now, since before i started college and that has always made me happier than what i have been doing in college. i think im starting to babble, so i will stop. if anyone has anything to say that might help, i would appreciate it!

GlassOnion

Thanks, and Gig 'em.
I'm not sure what you want to do honestly but I'll give it a shot.

From what I can gather you want to work with animals (dogs preferably I guess?) but don't want to throw away your Interior Design qualifications that you've gained thus far.

So why not dual major? I couldn't really follow your post so I'm not sure exactly what you want to do (work with dogs, groom them, while retaining your interior design degree I think) so I can't offer any more than just maybe look into dual majoring, or a minor, or something.

Dreeza

whatever you do, dont drop out....get your degree...who cares what its in

I at one point wanted to go into business...but was sad, cause i couldnt do anything with animals..then someone suggested i could go into a company that dealt with pet supplies, things like that...

well, im not doing that, but my point is, you should be able to find someway to combine what you want to do, with what you already know...i mean, heck, with an interior design degree, you can build the most gorgeous dog houses ever,lol, and sell them for like $5000 to the celebrities in hollywood!

corykins22

i think i got it!

ok, i think i might have figured it out yesterday! see, if my school had a major in animal behavior i would definately do that, but they don't. ok, im going to talk to an advisor today and see about maybe switching my major to general studies. that way i can just pick two minors, finish up my generals, and then pick up electives to finish the credit requirements to graduate. so, i will keep my interior design, just drop it to a minor and then pick some other minor that goes along with it, like residential property management or something. that way, i only have a class or two to finish up my core requirements, one more class to finish an interior design minor, and then pick another minor. i think that way i wont completely get burnt out on something i like to do, but still graduate. also, it might give me more time to look at this animal behavior college and get a dog training lisence. have you heard of the Animal Behavior College? its nationwide, it sounds like a pretty good program. anyway, thanks!

corykins22

doghouses!

oh, and you should see these doghouses...
www.lapetitemaison.com
they are rididuculous, and so are the kids playhouses. the doghouses go for $6000-$15000! i read about them in dogfancy magazine, so i looked them up online. they are crazy, i would definately love to design things like that! maybe over the summer, or sometime when i have the extra time, i want to try and build a little portfolio of some designs and send it to the people there and see what they have to say about them. it would be neat!

avenlee

That sounds great to me cory and I was just about to suggest some kind of general or liberal arts switch. I don't know what other subjects your taking with you interior design major, but I would think by taking the liberal arts/general studies would at least give you business skills so you can change your career if you need to. GOOD LUCK with your studies!

Members online

No members online now.