What breed would you purchase from a BYB?

Babyblue5290

Happy Meal. Yum.
Amstaffer said:
The Breed doesn't matter. It is like asking "What stick would you use to remove your own eye with?" No matter the stick you'll still blind in the end :(
Yeah but if you chose a very sharp stick with mabey a scoopy end you could get it out a lot faster! :D lol JK Just Joking!! lol sorry....I'll go on my merry little way now ;)

LizzieCollie

Collie Crazy
Well whatever, this topic just showed me what this board is all about. Someone posted a thread 'If you were a BYB what type of dog wuld you breed?" Yet NO ONE had a problem with that one. So I guess there are only certain people wh are allowed to ask these types of questions. Forget I even asked

Babyblue5290

Happy Meal. Yum.
LizzieCollie said:
Well whatever, this topic just showed me what this board is all about. Someone posted a thread 'If you were a BYB what type of dog wuld you breed?" Yet NO ONE had a problem with that one. So I guess there are only certain people wh are allowed to ask these types of questions. Forget I even asked
Actually that was more of a "making a new breed" kind of thing, which in a way is promoting byb who breed designer breeds, but this is straight out support of them, even just as pretend. It may be fun for some to think of silly little name for mutts, but saying that they support a BYB who we believe they are just leading thousands of dogs to health problems and the such is not real fun.

*edit*Although I can't speak for everyone, I don't think most of us where making any kind of attack against you. You really don't have much to do with it, it's just supporting a BYB is not something we like.

LizzieCollie

Collie Crazy
yep so like I said I obviously cannot post anything that you people think is wrong. I guess the people who have been on here much longer can do that kind of thing but I obviously cant.

I dont support BYB's you should see me talking to random people and telling them to spay neuter their pets. My mom almost had to drag me out of a store today because I started talking to the cashier and she was telling me how her dogs keep having puppies and she doesnt know what to do.

I live in Puerto Rico for crying out loud! I swear here the dog population is probably 2-4 dogs per human, so I obviously dont support BYB's I just though it would give people a place to vent because alot of breeds are not what they used to be because the main focus is showing. But sorry if I upset anyone, I guess newer members cant post on 'touchy' subjects like the older members can

Babyblue5290

Happy Meal. Yum.
LizzieCollie said:
yep so like I said I obviously cannot post anything that you people think is wrong. I guess the people who have been on here much longer can do that kind of thing but I obviously cant.

I dont support BYB's you should see me talking to random people and telling them to spay neuter their pets. My mom almost had to drag me out of a store today because I started talking to the cashier and she was telling me how her dogs keep having puppies and she doesnt know what to do.

I live in Puerto Rico for crying out loud! I swear here the dog population is probably 2-4 dogs per human, so I obviously dont support BYB's I just though it would give people a place to vent because alot of breeds are not what they used to be because the main focus is showing. But sorry if I upset anyone, I guess newer members cant post on 'touchy' subjects like the older members can
You know, like I said, it has nothing to do with you or who you are. It's the post. It's not a "touchy" subject, it is a subject all here (all that have posted) agree is wrong (buying from BYB not the post). No one has been rude, so take it as you will.

Saje

Island dweller
LizzieCollie said:

It has nothing to do with whether or not you are new! I mean we had a new 'member' come and post about how to make dog hamburgers once and that didn't go over very well and it wasn't because he was new! This is a dog forum for dog lovers and no one thinks it's fun to pretend to by dogs from BYBers. Nobody has been mean to you they are just sharing how they feel.

nedim

LizzieCollie said:
If you were to ever purchase from a BYB which breed would you chose? Suppose they did health testing and temperment testing but did not show the dogs.

I would buy a GSD from a BYB who health/temperment tests over a reputable breeder any day. Too much sloping in the back end for the show dogs, the BYB tend to have sturdier built dogs

...edit...

:D

LizzieCollie said:
yep so like I said I obviously cannot post anything that you people think is wrong. I guess the people who have been on here much longer can do that kind of thing but I obviously cant...

...But sorry if I upset anyone, I guess newer members cant post on 'touchy' subjects like the older members can

wow, you just don't get it do you? You missed the point entirely. Member status has NOTHING to do with it. Did anyone say it was you and your new member status that we were against? No, its the topic of supporting BYBs that we will not even pretend to support because it is just so wrong. The other thread you referred to as being similar to yours is clearly not. It was about inventing your own name for an odd breed combo, not saying you would actually breed them...

colliewog

Collies&Terriers, Oh My!
Lizziecollie - don't take it as a personal attack. If you ask another question, about a less touchy subject, I'm sure you would get answers that were more amusing. There is just really no fun way to answer your question. :(

I could say that I was going to stop breeding and start getting my Collies from BYBs because I'm tired of the expense of health testing, competition, etc. But then I'd have to discuss the health issues I could run into because they aren't aware. Really nice people, sweet dogs, but they unknowingly produce pups with dermatomyositis, lupus, epilepsy, PRA, cardiomyopathy, and hip dysplasia. They're really sorry because all they wanted was to have a litter of puppies to give to friends and family from their two really sweet Collies. See how that can't turn out good? No one meant anything against you, but there isn't a pretend situation for this subject.

Try something else and see the response. How about "What type of leash do you like?" That could bring about links to designs, materials, lengths, or collectors like me that have about 5 or more leashes per dog, depending upon our activity. See where that could lead? Don't be afraid of the responses, just pick a different subject!:)

tempura tantrum

Shiba Inu Slave
Lizzie- I hope none of us have hurt your feelings. It definitely isn't intentional. In my post I was trying to explain *why* we were all responding the way we did.

The key is that BYB is *synonymous * with irresponsible breeding. No one here can seperate the word from the definition, nor should anyone.

I honestly *do* understand what you were trying to say, but it would probably have come across a bit more clearly if you had posted a more direct "venting" thread. No one wants you to leave- but they were giving their personal opinions, which is what you ask for when you post a thread on a public site.

Colliewog has some good suggestions for you as well- a less "touchy" thread will definitely get more upbeat responses!

colliewog

Collies&Terriers, Oh My!
LizzieCollie said:
ok, got it, i'll def. try a less touchy subject. Look for it soon! Colliewog gave me a nifty idea
I posted one on another forum that got a lot of responses. Dogs' guilty pleasures. What treats does your dog get that really aren't meant for dogs? Mine eat gummy bears and that's their "high value" training treat. Really bad, but it makes them behave really good! :D

LizzieCollie

Collie Crazy
Gummy Bears? lol thats a good one. Lizzie's favorite is hot dogs, I make one hot dog and cop it into tiny pieces and she will work her butt off for them.

I was trying to teach her 'sit' with these crappy biscuits (silly me) and she would not sit at all, she actually started to run from me! When I started to use the hot dogs she learned sit, down and give me a paw in just one session!
Now she does them without treats which is great.

tempura tantrum

Shiba Inu Slave
So I know this is off topic- but I'm going to join in too!

Kimi's guilty pleasure (and yes I'm a horrible human being for giving this to her, but I just can't help it when she gives me "sad eyes"), is ice cream. It doesn't matter what kind, if you pull out the ice cream bowls she sits in front of you and waits until you're finished until she can lick the bowl.

On the way out to our beach house we always stop at a certain ice cream shop that sells ice cream SO good that you have to *interview* to sell it. (Yes- it is that good). Both Tai and Kimi get a single scoop of vanilla when we go. (BAD ME! BAD ME!)

Tai also adores marshmallows- above any type of meat you could give him. What a bizarre dog!

Squidbert

Scum scum scum scum..SCUM
Hmmmmm.. my babies love hot dogs as well.. LOVE them! And cooked spaghetti noodles.. now they don't get this all the time.. but when they do OH BOY!! They'll do whatever I ask! :p

Fran27

I agree with everyone... I have one dog with health issues already due to a poor choice of breeder, so I won't do the same mistake again.

I think I see what your point was though. Maybe a better question would be 'what breed would you adopt/not adopt from a shelter without knowing anything about its past'.

RD

Are you dead yet?
A breeder that does health and temperament testing and simply doesn't show in conformation is not automatically a BYB, IMO. I'd absolutely buy a Border Collie from a person who health tested and temperament tested (working the dog on stock is the ideal temperament test for the BC) but never put their dogs in shows, or even competed in trials. If I can see the dog in person and watch it work, i dont need titles or wins to prove to me that the dog can work.

Members online

No members online now.