Chaz Moms and Moms-to-Be Chat (everyone welcome)

I know many moms who made placenta smoothies or had a trusted caregiver encapsulate it. I didn't because both of mine ended up being hospital births but I have seen and read enough to believe there are real benefits to it.

sparks19

I'd rather be at Disney
I'm sure there are benefits but I seem to be doing just fine without consuming my placenta so really... I'm good. I'm sorry, I don't mean to poke fun but that is just so NOT for me lol

I am thinking for me it would cause malnutrition because I don't think I could stomach the thought

NicoleLJ

PSD Partner
My Doula would encapsulate it. She is trained in doing that if requested and charges about $150 for the procedure. It is just like taking a herbal pill. No taste really. From what I am learning I think it is something I would definitely look more into and strongly consider for my last birth in the future.

Greenmagic why did it matter that you had a hospital birth on why you couldn't do it? My Doula does it for the clients that request it and all of their births are in a hospital setting. She was just called in today(that is how the discussion started) by a lady who had given birth 20 minutes prior and got her name from a friend. She wanted her to encapsulate it for her. So she went in to talk to her about it.,

meepitsmeagan

Meagan & The Cattle Dog Crew
We all got together for his mom's birthday this afternoon. We gave her a book titled "I love you, Grandma" as her gift.

I'd say it went pretty well :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lj3vhqVYwZo

His grandmother was almost in tears, and kept repeating, "I'm going to be a GG!" It was pretty darn cute. The funniest thing is how everyone said, "Thank you!" to us. Um, you're welcome? I feel like I should be getting a charitable donation receipt or community service hours if it's such a gift to people :p

It went a lot better than telling my parents, who are a little less thrilled. (I asked my dad if he wanted to be a grandfather, and his words were, "Do I have a choice?" :rolleyes:) I'm glad we saved DH's family for last--it was actually almost fun instead of stressful to share the news today.
Awww! That was ADORABLE!

milos_mommy

I miiiiight eat my placenta, but if I could get it safely encapsulated, I'd definitely do it.

Every other species does it, and no harm comes to them. I doubt I could get over the smell/taste/texture to eat it normally. I absolutely believe it's most likely beneficial to consume it.

JessLough

Love My Mutt
I generally don't eat things that come out of my body.

That said, I have heard of people having placenta parties. Eating your own placenta... ok whatever, eating somebody elses? No. Just... no.

Taqroy

I asked my doctor about placenta encapsulation and she basically said that it doesn't do any harm, but it doesn't necessarily do any good either. I couldn't find any studies about it at all and chose not to pursue it. She also pointed out that the main reason other species do it is to clean up the afterbirth smell as it's a beacon to predators. Seemed reasonable to me.

ETA: That wasn't the doctor, it was the certified midwife that I saw for one of my appointments.

Last edited:

meepitsmeagan

Meagan & The Cattle Dog Crew
Zach's grandfather is such a hoot. He's only been given a couple months to live, so I don't think he will make it until baby comes, but I'm really hoping we've given him a reason to hang on. He's my favorite.
Aww! I hope he is able to hold out. I LOVED his reaction. "What did I miss!?"

Grab

No placenta for me, ack. For what it's worth, I've seen my share of other species (dogs, cats) vomit the placenta they just ate.

AllieMackie

Wookie Collie
I asked my doctor about placenta encapsulation and she basically said that it doesn't do any harm, but it doesn't necessarily do any good either. I couldn't find any studies about it at all and chose not to pursue it. She also pointed out that the main reason other species do it is to clean up the afterbirth smell as it's a beacon to predators. Seemed reasonable to me.

ETA: That wasn't the doctor, it was the certified midwife that I saw for one of my appointments.
This was always my assumption as well, so when my time comes to have kiddos I don't plan on going near it. :p

Members online

No members online now.