Bird Fair!

sillysally

Obey the Toad.
DH, a friend of mine, and I went out to a bird fair a few towns over today. Well, actually there were 2 bird fairs in the same town on the same day for some reason--one had more stuff and the other had vets giving seminars--we went to both.

We saw some really cool birds, including species I hadn't seen in person before. I also splurged on some unusual toys and got some supplies to try my hand at making some of my own toys. I attended a talk by an avian vet on foraging and enrichment and got some advice from said vet on Solo's husband hating issues. I even decided to become a member of our local bird club for a year and see how it goes. They have seminars given by avian vets from zoos, yearly field trips, are involved in conservation, etc. I had always thought it was a breeder club but apparently they really encourage pet owners to become members-should be interesting.

Anyhoo, I just wanted to share. I know we have some bird owners on here and it was a good way to spend a Saturday (plus the birds have some extra toys to destroy!)

-bogart-

Member of WHODAT Nation.
that is so cool , I am looking into hopefully going next month to one close here.
I have really taken a avid interest in my little flock of Budgies and really want a cockatiel son and a bigger parrot type later on when the girls are older a bit.

Hopefully the vet gave you some good advise on getting ya hater to chill out with your hubby!

God luck on making the toys , I am trying to get a design in my head to paper for a gym for when ever I get my baby cockatiel.

sillysally

Obey the Toad.
that is so cool , I am looking into hopefully going next month to one close here.
I have really taken a avid interest in my little flock of Budgies and really want a cockatiel son and a bigger parrot type later on when the girls are older a bit.

Hopefully the vet gave you some good advise on getting ya hater to chill out with your hubby!

God luck on making the toys , I am trying to get a design in my head to paper for a gym for when ever I get my baby cockatiel.
How many budgie do you have? They had tons of budgies for sale at the fair. The thing I like about the one here is that you can find tons of unique toys that you don't find in the big box stores.

The avien vet told DH to wear heavy gloves and a heavy hoodie, and when Solo comes at him to push him back with his protected arm so that Solo can see that he's crossed a line and that his bites have no effect. He also advised me to either put Solo on the floor after he goes after DH or put him under a clean bucket for a few minutes for a "time out." We've tried having DH be the one to feed him and we've gotten as far as Solo going to the back corner of his cage and redirecting aggression on one of his toys until DH is finished.

-bogart-

Member of WHODAT Nation.
I currently own 5 budgies. I was raised around my grannies little birds and have fond childhood memories of them .
I decided on a whim, while looking on craigslist ,to get this pair being offered.

welllllll.... a huge cage later (also off craigslist) and Now I have 5! lol
They live in a 5 ft by 3.5 ft old parrot cage , I love to see them fly about in there.
but without further ado , here is my little flockers.
left to right
White one is Priscella
Bright Blue is Sony
Green and Yellow is Elvis
White and Grey is Janis
Light Blue and White is Cher.

Janis , Sony and Elvis

I just love them , I am working on hand taming them .
I hope the vet and you and hubby can get the hater to soften up. good lucks!!

-bogart-

Member of WHODAT Nation.
thanks! The cage was 100.00 , I could not pass it up. I am so glad I got it , Elvis will hang from the top upside down and just swing there.

How about your crew , I dont think I have ever seen pics. not so subtle hint! hehehehe

Locke

Sounds like fun! If it's anything like a reptile expo, I commend you for making it out of there without any new family members!

Members online

No members online now.