So...breeds?

houlahoops

Well. If I stay on track with my life in general I will be graduated in about a year and a half. Which means (naturally) that in about two years I will have my very own puppy. Because everything always goes according to plan.

Anyway, I thought maybe some of you would help to point me in the right direction. I have no idea what I want. A 'houla isn't out of the question, but to be completely honest it's hard to find a stable dog up north that isn't outright DA/HA or a pillow pet (neither of which I want).

So some basic criteria:
* I want a dog that wants to be with me all the time. There is no such thing as too clingy.
* Between 15 and 100 pounds
* I want a dog that wants to do fun things. Brachy breeds are no bueno. I am a super active person and I spend a lot of time backpacking and hiking and generally being outside
* I don't care if he can do things. My dog doesn't need to reenact a Shakespearean play. I'd like to be able to train him to come. And sit.
* I am not a huge fan of barkbarkbark dogs. My dad has a Coton who is a little too much for me.
* No drool
* I don't like retrievers

Breeds that are currently on the radar: German Shepherd (although I don't know if I could get one after losing my Mammoth), Rough Collie, Brittany, Border Collie, Catahoula Leopard Dog/Catahoula Cur

Anybody?

houlahoops

Oh gosh haha I didn't even think to list those things.

* Grooming. Eh. As long as I don't have to get him professionally groomed, I'm not terribly concerned about it. Shedding is fine.
* Guarding. I do like my dogs a little more aloof with strangers, but outright guarding isn't really necessary. I am willing to deal with some guardiness but nothing tremendously serious (so no Filas, Bouvs, etc)
* Sociability. I'd like him to be good with other dogs if socialized properly. Naturally it can't be guaranteed, but I'd love to hedge my bets and try to avoid DA or DR if I can. There will be kids around, as well, and he shouldn't want to eat them :D

Pops2

Apparently someone forgot to tell you most catahoulas are very stranger unfriendly. Seriously I've been around them & BMCs off & on for over thirty years and most had the guarding mindset that Filas are reputed to have. Very protective on their own property (like legal liability level) but much better off, very protective of the kids & the wife but not so much the man of the house.

CatStina

SBT Lover!!
I was going to suggest the Stafford, until I got here. They LOVE everyone, so wouldn't be a good choice...
* Guarding. I do like my dogs a little more aloof with strangers, but outright guarding isn't really necessary. I am willing to deal with some guardiness but nothing tremendously serious (so no Filas, Bouvs, etc)

houlahoops

Pops: The 'Houla is only in there because I had one and he was well worth the Hell he put me through with his various cur-dog ways :D

CatSina: I like the Staffies I've met, but the DA/DR worries me a little as well!

crazedACD

Setter? We really need an English Setter on here I can drool over... :D. They are usually good natured, not overly reactive, loves their owners.

CatStina

SBT Lover!!
CatSina: I like the Staffies I've met, but the DA/DR worries me a little as well!
In my experience, they're less DA/DS than some of the other Bull Breeds. I guess, in part, it depends what lines you get the dog from. If you get one from the right lines they should be manageable with proper socialization. Saxon comes to work with me at the pet supply store and meets tons of dogs each day. No matter where the dog comes from, though, they are all stranger friendly! :)

Saeleofu

Collies can be barky. Some, very barky. Fair warning. The smooths seem to be a bit more independent than the roughs, so as long as you're okay with the fluff (and the barking), that's a decent choice.

A boxer with a less extreme face (BYB lines/rescue) could b a good fit. Gavroche isn't that brachy, and he has no problem with heat. Logan actually used to have more issues with the heat, since he wasn't acclimated to it (60s in WA, then suddenly 100s in Kansas). Gavroche was SILENT until Logan came into the picture. Now he's quite vocal, but he still doesn't really bark. He just makes the most adorable wookie noises :D

Flyinsbt

That really is a broad criteria that fits most breeds, but when you narrowed it down slightly, it eliminated a few. Such as mine. As Christina said, the Staffords (and other bull-and-terriers) tend to be really stranger friendly, so probably not the best choice. They aren't all super stranger friendly, my girls tend to be a little uninterested in most people, but the tendency is to be really friendly. Also, there is a definite tendency towards dog aggression, and while again, they aren't all that way (I wouldn't regard any of mine as dog aggressive. Tess is the most DA I have, and since she's 7 years old and never had her teeth in another dog, I tend to consider her mild reactivity to be more something to make fun of than anything), there's no guarantee that any individual dog you get will play well with others.

Personally, my suggestion is that since you are so open to pretty much anything, you not worry about breed, and get a rescue from a shelter. Just go in, and see what speaks to you.

Dizzy

Sit! Good dog.
Gsp, gsp, gsp!

They're so much fun. They're clowns, they're biddable, they do like to be active and entertained, but are also major sofa hoggers. They're low maintenance on grooming, very people orientated (they love company and can be a bit needy, but you like that, as do I!), but need to be introduced to people first (ie don't rush people like a lab might, bit more into their own people). And they're GORGEOUS.

They love romping with other dogs, generally aren't DA. They're not known for barking, but obviously individuals vary! There is minimal drool. They're clever, but not Wiley like some breeds. I don't think they plot your demise like a collie might... They're more.... If I open that door I can get food.... Open the door nom nom.

Faults.... None so far! Errrr... Guess it depends what you really want. They are active, they can be destructive when bored, they use their feet like paddles and I am COVERED in bruises. People say they can disappear when out and about, but all the ones I've met have been pretty obedient, I think it's more of a case of lack of training. You do need to train a gsp, they don't come naturally good. No training will lead to a very difficult dog to live with. They can be stubborn, you can't always TELL them what to do, but they generally do what you want once you work out how to ask for it :D

But I'm hooked. I want another one. Now. Soon... When Fred is a little older and we've got more stuff done with him, I'm already thinking about our second!

yv0nne

Vizsla mom
GSP& Vizslas are very similar ..except Vizslas are better ;)

Just kidding I just came here to ask is Fred the little brown guy in your signature? I've heard of solid liver GSPs but never seen one! Love him :)

Dizzy

Sit! Good dog.
GSP& Vizslas are very similar ..except Vizslas are better ;)

Just kidding I just came here to ask is Fred the little brown guy in your signature? I've heard of solid liver GSPs but never seen one! Love him :)
I propose a duel!

Yes, that's him when he first came home. He's 6 months now :) he's mostly solid but has a bit of light ticking on his undercarriage and legs. Our first gsp and definitely not our last.

yv0nne

Vizsla mom
Well, I absolutely love him :) And Penny will take that duel offer and fight either until her death or until her and Fred are best friends ahaha most likely the second option unless she manages to either play or kiss him to death ;)

FG167

My parents GSP drools (so does the Vizsla) and it's special - shiny and dries with a really slick finish lol It's nasty, not my thing. I have heard that there is a difference in drooliness from show lines to hunting lines though? Their dog is straight hunting stock (both of them). He is however very, very, very happy, friendly, social, outgoing, stable - environmentally and mentally. He is very playful and in general a really active, amusing dog. The drool - icky though!

I would suggest a Koolie, but perhaps too friendly and energetic? My Kelpie would fit your criteria but he's the only Kelpie I know personally (I only know three) that would. He's aloof but social. He has good energy - can hike and run with me but doesn't "need" to do anything as he'll entertain himself for HOURS. Literally. He's quite independent though and while very, very affectionate, not at all a velcro dog...hmmmmm....

I'm obviously a HUGE GSD fan :) But, I'm not sure you could avoid the reactivity issues...my saving grace is that almost nothing will convince Kastle that he should out his ball so when meeting new dogs (like fosters or new additions), I just give him a ball and he's fine until they have a lot of time together and then he's good with no ball. Once he understands they've been 'added' he'll do a lot to tolerate even horrendous behavior.

What about a showline Malinois? I've met a few in AKC agility and flyball and they were super nice dogs (obviously you need to make sure their not nervy...I've seen some Mals go too far the other way and end up with no drive and serious shyness). Moderate drive, good speed, nice build and coat, aloof but safe...

What about a Newfy? Big and friendly...although again, drool. What about some of the other bird dogs? Brittany Spaniel?

Personally, my suggestion is that since you are so open to pretty much anything, you not worry about breed, and get a rescue from a shelter. Just go in, and see what speaks to you.
This^

Also as much as I love my Newfie, she does not fare well when it comes to hiking and being outdoors, shes a huge couch potatoe. Most of them are.

Dizzy

Sit! Good dog.
Rescue is definitely a best bet, also agree.

Not sure if there's difference in drooling between lines! I'd say there is a little, but like I said its minimal, and certainly no more than any other dogs we've owned. Not big strings of it or splats! He drools when he's stressed, but even then it's not big gobs of it.

AdrianneIsabel

Glutton for Crazy
I wouldn't recommend a Malinois. I honestly don't for anyone who's not actively seeking them but the potential for lack if sociability and dog intolerance is there. The energy is over the top and annoyingly demanding for most owners.

I think Flyn has the best idea, since the criteria is "nice stable, fun, dog" I would go to a shelter and shop. If you happen to find a purebred that's cool but if not you are bound to find the perfect mix.

milos_mommy

I think a mix would be a good choice, since your requirements aren't super specific and you don't need a dog to fit a very specific niche (sports, protection, service dog) in your life.

A ridgeback might be something to look into, as well...although I've seen quite a few get 100+ lbs.

Are you definitely looking for a puppy, or would a young dog suit you?

Members online

No members online now.