Cookie is Home

Shai

& the Muttly Crew
I only have cell phone pictures but the little one is home at last. She is very tired and is being very cooperative with being carried about. She ate her dinner, medications and all, and will be having another cold compress in a few minutes.

She wants to be awake but just can't quite manage it, and her eyes slowly slide shut and she dozes. Sleeping is fuel for healing so I am glad she is getting a lot of it.

Rearranged a couple parts of the house. Moved my "workstation" next to a crate we put up in my office, which is one of her favorite hangouts. There's another in the kitchen and a third in the bedroom so hopefully we can have her on crate rest without fully sequestering her. She needs to heal but she doesn't need to be shut off from everything.

Mira and Kim are both hovering, and have been keeping a close eye on their returned but broken puppy. They haven't seen her since she fell screaming in the yard and we rushed off to the vet and returned without her, so I can only imagine what they thought.

Last night, knowing that she was okay but with her still at the hospital, was probably my last full night of sleep for...a while. So I apologize if my ability to form a complete sentence deteriorates quickly over the next couple weeks!

She will still being going back to her real home but she was originally supposed to make that trip in just a few days. We're playing it by ear right now but she will likely head home after her stitches are removed and she is more mobile and painfree. I am going to miss her like crazy and I hate the thought of her going home before she is 100% but they have access to a good ortho vet too and have someone home all the time so are better able to start introducing the short, frequent, very gentle walks that she will need as she heals. I am repeating this mantra to myself constantly as I brace for missing her...

Thank you all so much for the vibes. It's been a terrifying weekend and I truly appreciate all the support for this sweet baby girl.

Still sending you all the healing vibes and rest for all vibes I can. She's very lucky to have you guys and her second family. Plus some amazing vets.

Xandra

Poor little thing :( Glad the surgery went well! looks like she has a nice little place to recover (I am sure she won't think so in a few days lol).

Toller_08

I missed the other thread but just went to look. I am so sorry you and Cookie had to go through that. Scary stuff! I'm glad she's doing better though. Poor pup. :-(

chaospony

Poor Cookie. Sending restful healing with a co-operative puppy vibes!
Wassim just went through surgery to fix his hip so my past 2 weeks were spend in a very similar situation.
I feel for you, sleep deprivation is not fun!

SaraB

So glad she is home with you. My heart is breaking for you know that she will be leaving when this is all going on. Hug her tight.

I'm so glad the surgery went well and she is back home with you. I hope she handles the crate rest well for you and heals up in no time.

Dekka

Just try me..
Glad to hear things are going well for her. What a lucky puppy to have a group of people dedicated to getting her back to rights. I can't imagine how much you will miss her now that you have gone through this. (Dekka was hurt very badly at that age and I think that is one of the reasons we bonded so close..)

Shai

& the Muttly Crew
After an invigorating two hours of sleep last night...

You know that moment when the little one, who has been fussing all night, finally settles and drops off to sleep...

...and ten seconds later your alarm goes off.

Priceless.

Otherwise it's all going pretty well though. Apparently the meds make her food taste bad so she didn't want to eat, but giving the the pills in a dab of peanut butter put right in her mouth cheered her up considerably about the whole thing ("Gimme!") and she ate that and enthusiastically washed it down with her med-free food. She's not really sure what's going on during her compress sessions yet but is amenable to it. The meds and all the commotion threw off her schedule and she asked to go out several times during the night (in addition to the aforementioned fussing, not part of it) and needed them all, plus had the 4am bonus go-out for meds and such. She forgets about her leg when she first comes out of her crate so I'm thanking my lucky stars for teaching her to hold in the crate until released. Otherwise she is being a careful girl, though to be fair I haven't exactly given her the opportunity to make any other decision. Her sutures look good and she is carefully bearing weight with her bionic leg so things are headed in the right direction.

We'll get there.

Members online

No members online now.