food protective

silverpawz said:
Thanks for the reply, but that's not what I ment. I was asking what would you do in the moment you are being bitten by a dog. Not a play bite. Would you allow the dog to bite you? Walk away? Do something?

Again, I'm just wondering, not suggesting that someone should hit or beat a dog for a bite.
I sure as hell wont let a dog (even a puppy) bite me and get away with it. It sends a message to the dog saying its ok. I see it like this. You want to challenge me thats fine, but I WILL shut you down. My puppy did that to me ONCE, and I bit his a*s back. And he never did it again. I put the food down and there is no way he will bite the hand that feeds him, NO WAY. I cannot believe people will allow this behavior to escalate, and wait until the dog is "ready" to be touched or associated with, puh-lease :rolleyes:

Angelique said:
It's not uncommon to get frustrated with a dog when you haven't been provided with the tools you need to set boundaries and be a leader, instead of simply trading for items and trying to use "Positive Reinforcement Only" training methods. Some leadership skills might help.

It wasn't the fact that you pushed the dog away from the bowl, it's that you were frustrated when you did it. A dog can sense this and you could end up being viewed as unpredictable, which can cause the dog to lose trust in you.

Don't beat yourself up over it, just move on and don't do it again. I know more than a few people who have started out trying to impliment training without leadership, and also got frustrated and did things they shouldn't have, or regretted. A Pack Leader must also be a trusted and consistant leader.

Since your pup is now biting, I would get a behaviorist who understands dog psychology, can teach you some leadership skills, and help you and your dog within your home. No need to rehome the dog if you're willing to stick with setting some boundaries and keep your temper in check. :)

In the meantime, reading Cesar's Way by Cesar Millan and sticking with his principles by putting the needs of your dog *FIRST* could help you understand how your interactions with your dog are being "read" by the dog and give you some basic leadership principles to help you.

I highly recommend this book.

Good luck and don't give up!
Oh lord, not Cesar :eek: . That guy is very rough. What you dont see is the real stuff he does to these dogs. He be stringing them up, scaring the mess out of them. He works those dogs out of FEAR. Definately no motivation, whatsoever.

Angelique

GSDlover_4ever said:
Oh lord, not Cesar :eek:
Oh No!...do-do do-do...here he comes...do-do do-do...the evil man who can't bear to put a dog down...do-do do-do...pain, and force, and fear, oh my! Supression, correction...rules, boundaries and limitations...do-do do-do...exercise, discipline, affection...Ah, I can hear it now!..."walk your dog, treat your dog like a dog...be a leader"...OMG he's coming! :eek:

Angelique said:
Oh No!...do-do do-do...here he comes...do-do do-do...the evil man who can't bear to put a dog down...do-do do-do...pain, and force, and fear, oh my! Supression, correction...rules, boundaries and limitations...do-do do-do...exercise, discipline, affection...Ah, I can hear it now!..."walk your dog, treat your dog like a dog...be a leader"...OMG he's coming! :eek:
Honestly, do you know what goes on behind the scenes with Cesar? He works his dogs straight out of fear. Those dogs are made totally unstable and a walking timebomb. Those dogs will snap at any time because the stress they are under. All he does is string the dogs into submission. Yes, treat them like a DOG not a ragdoll, as it seems that what Cesar think they are.

Members online