Question about teeth

jess2416

Who woulda thought
I wasnt sure if this should be in grooming or healthcare so feel free to move it if it needs to be moved :D

I was wanting to get Chloe some doggy toothpaste but I wasnt sure if there was a specific one for puppies and a specific one for dogs or if I could use either one and if so is there any specific age to start ? I did give her a puppy denta bone but realized that was a bad idea when she bit it in half and tried to eat it instead of chewing on it like they are supposed to. It was a pretty big chunk that she had in her mouth and I took it out of her mouth cause I didnt want her to choke on it. So I havent given her anymore of those. Anyways I was wanting to get some opinions :D

yoko

i got yoshi when she was about four months old and just bought th regular dog toothpaste and she's done fine on it :)

Iris

my vet's office offers great teeth cleaning options for dogs who don't get their teeth brushed regularily, or just as a semi-regular thing. they basically get all of the build-up, discolouration, and plaque off your dog's teeth and leave them white and healthy. It might be something to consider once a year or something. Madison gets her teeth brushed regularily, but i still like to do an over haul to keep her mouth healthy.

Pomp

Raw bones are great for teeth. When I rescued my two beagles, they had bad tarter. Now, their teeth are pearly-white.

bubbatd

I don't think Chip ever had his teeth brushed...teethe and gums are great.

Dreeza

yeah, we bought oakley a toothbrush/toothpaste, but he seems to think it is a chew toy, lol

his teeth look all pearly white though, and his gums look healthy too!

he chews on lots of denta-bones, rawhides, the costco brand of greenies, lol (all the things a lot of people here on the forums seem to discourage!)

jess2416

Who woulda thought
I tried giving Chloe a puppy denta bone but she didnt chew it she bit it in half and ate it.

Smaller breeds of dogs often have teeth problems and it's always advisable to keep an eye on things in there, so brushing once a week or so is probably a good idea for any owner to try. Besides on of the best things you are doing is teaching the dog to let you do things for her that she might otherwise object to. It's a good socialization technique.

jess2416

Who woulda thought
Smaller breeds of dogs often have teeth problems and it's always advisable to keep an eye on things in there, so brushing once a week or so is probably a good idea for any owner to try. Besides on of the best things you are doing is teaching the dog to let you do things for her that she might otherwise object to. It's a good socialization technique.
Well she is going to be a larger breed as we believe she is a shepherd mix and i touch her paws and look in her mouth all the time so that she will get use to people touching her paws and mouth.

Mordy

Quigleyfied
Toothpaste for people is not appropriate for use on dogs. It is not designed to be swallowed and can give your dog quite a bad stomach upset.

If you think you absolutely have to use toothpaste, buy the kind made for dogs, but you don't even really need that. Half a teaspoon of ascorbic acid (plain old vitamin C) dissolved in half a cup of room temperature water will do the trick just fine. For more stubborn spots, don't use a toothbrush, but a washcloth wrapped around your finger.

Also don't forget that the gum line is the most important area to be cleaned, not the crowns of the teeth. :)

jess2416

Who woulda thought
Toothpaste for people is not appropriate for use on dogs. It is not designed to be swallowed and can give your dog quite a bad stomach upset.
I dont know if that was directed at me, but I KNOW that people toothpaste is not suitable for dogs, I never said anything about people toothpaste, I would never give a dog people toothpaste.
If you think you absolutely have to use toothpaste, buy the kind made for dogs, but you don't even really need that
I didnt say I absolutly had to have it, I was just asking about it,

Last edited:

jess2416

Who woulda thought
No need to get defensive. None of this was meant as a "dig" at you.
I wasnt trying to be defensive I guess I just wrote it the wrong way :D but Chloe doesnt just calmly chew on bones she will try to put the whole bone in her bone and eat it and sometimes she mananges to bite off big chunks and I dont want her to choke on them that why I was wondering about the dog toothpaste :D

Mordy

Quigleyfied
It's ok if you want to spend the money. Look for something that doesn't have a lot of chemical ingredients that you can barely pronounce.

You can also try just plain old vitamin C dissolved in a bit of water. Rub on the teeth and along the gum line with a washcloth over your finger.

lapdog

Wysong dentatreat is an excellent product for removing plaque. Sprinkle on kibble or brush with it. Its a powder, made from cheese. It really removed the plaque on my dog within a couple of weeks.

Members online

No members online now.