Converted Lurker

iriskai

Hi, all!

I've been a Chaz lurker for a while now, figured I might as well sign up. :)

I have two Whippets. Mimi, my three year old diva girl, who I'm specialing in AKC conformation, and Ezra, my 20 month old lovey boy who is taking his time growing up. Both love going racing (NOTRA and WRA for people interested), and we're going to try to QC for lure coursing in October. Mimi and I are also working on agility classes, which she absolutely loves. Yay for people pleasing sighthounds!

So anyway... I'm less interesting. I have a cube job that pays the bills, travel to shows and race meets on the weekends, and should be teaching a conformation class this winter to speed up my membership at the club I'm taking classes at.

Fun side note - just got an awesome deal on brand spankin' new crates for the car and a giant Xpen for traveling. Paid maybe half of what I would have paid online... and I don't want to do the math on pet store prices. Yay CL!

eddieq

Silence! I ban you!
Staff member
Welcome to Chaz! I hope the "moderated" messages doesn't convert you back to a lurker. Once you hit 10 posts, that restriction will be removed automatically.

Enjoy!

iriskai

Welcome to Chaz! I hope the "moderated" messages doesn't convert you back to a lurker. Once you hit 10 posts, that restriction will be removed automatically.

Enjoy!
No worries - I mod on a relatively high traffic parrot/bird forum so I get how it is. :) I was just waiting for my first 'intro' post to get approved before I ventured in to posting elsewhere. Having to answer the 'Random Question' keeps throwing me off though!

Emily

Rollin' with my bitches
Welcome! I would LOVE some whippet pics, if you have any. I'm becoming a fan of the breed, slowly but surely.

iriskai

Thanks for the welcome, all. :)

Welcome! I would LOVE some whippet pics, if you have any. I'm becoming a fan of the breed, slowly but surely.
I don't ever see myself without at least one! Wonderful house dogs but also up for a hike, run, park trip, or whatever even you want to make fun. I know a good number of Whippets that are involved in dock diving, obedience, rally, flyball and disc dog! I've also noticed that people who get in to Whippets tend to always have one from there on out!

Welcome, I cant wait to see some pictures, whippets rock and I think coursing sounds like a ton of fun:)
My girlie wouldn't course when I got her! She was fully aware it was a plastic bag and didn't give a flying lick if it got away! WRA and NOTRA racing have triggered her though.. we're going to try coursing with her again in October. My doofy boy is perfectly happy chasing the bag though!

Welcome! I love Whippets- would love to see yours. :)
I'll have to dig up a few pictures and post soon. :) iPhone crapped out on me so bleh.

skittledoo

Crazy naked dog lady
Welcome!!!! Whereabouts do you run your dogs? I'm on the east coast so I course mainly in region 8. I think I'm going to have to get a whippet one day. I am falling more and more in love with them, but getting another Ibizan first.

skittledoo

Crazy naked dog lady
Welcome!!!! Whereabouts do you run your dogs? I'm on the east coast so I course mainly in region 8. I think I'm going to have to get a whippet one day. I am falling more and more in love with them, but getting another Ibizan first.

iriskai

A Beezer was on my short list! I have a good friend who has a wire and a smooth, awesome goofy dogs!

I race two different places in Indiana. NOTRA racing in Carthage Indiana hosts all breeds and New Castle tends to just do WRA I think. Lebanon Ohio does NOTRA racing as well, though I haven't had a chance to go. OKIGO is the closest to me in terms of coursing, though I'm going up to Michigan for an ASFA meet in October. Next April I'll be in Maryland for the Whippet National.. I think there will be ASFA and AKC coursing that weekend!

skittledoo

Crazy naked dog lady
A Beezer was on my short list! I have a good friend who has a wire and a smooth, awesome goofy dogs!

I race two different places in Indiana. NOTRA racing in Carthage Indiana hosts all breeds and New Castle tends to just do WRA I think. Lebanon Ohio does NOTRA racing as well, though I haven't had a chance to go. OKIGO is the closest to me in terms of coursing, though I'm going up to Michigan for an ASFA meet in October. Next April I'll be in Maryland for the Whippet National.. I think there will be ASFA and AKC coursing that weekend!
Sweet!!!!! There are a lot of great whippets in the area around here and one boarding at my work right now that I'm particularly fawning over. Too bad I have to give him back when his owner is back in town. I'm trying to convince his owner to lure course him.

I've been looking into possibly doing some LGRA with my Ibizan to help build up his interest in the lure. He was running great at practice runs and then we got his QC up in NJ at an AKC event. Now he keeps running part of the course and then turning around and coming back to me so we need to work on that. A few people have suggested straight racing to help build up his interest, but then I had one lady tell me that I'll ruin him if I straight race him and then turn around and put him back on a 600-1000 yard course.

iriskai

Hi and welcome, you can see my crew in my soggy! Gage and Bristol will be going for therapy dog training soon, and Diesel is my Agility in training dog.
Hi! I have to say, Bristol is adorable! She looks almost like a stuffed animal in your sig picture. Too cute!

I've been looking into possibly doing some LGRA with my Ibizan to help build up his interest in the lure. He was running great at practice runs and then we got his QC up in NJ at an AKC event. Now he keeps running part of the course and then turning around and coming back to me so we need to work on that. A few people have suggested straight racing to help build up his interest, but then I had one lady tell me that I'll ruin him if I straight race him and then turn around and put him back on a 600-1000 yard course.
Mimi wouldn't course at all before/right after I got her. Started taking her racing, built up her interest in the lure, and she's close to coursing now (she lost the lure last time I ran her alone, came back to me, went back out and finished the course after I pointed it out to her)! I'd try racing him to boost interest, it's worked for me! I also tend to disagree that straight racing will ruin him. I know a number of Whippet coursing people that will actually take a hiatus from coursing and only race when their dogs start 'cheating' on the field. It gets them back in the mindset of chasing the lure and not so much trying to anticipate where it's going.

Members online

No members online now.