How often do you let your dog/dogs out?

Danefied

Okay, I suck... I don’t know!

Someone is always up before 6 in this house and whoever gets up lets the dogs out in the morning. After that, its anyone’s guess. If they ask to go out they go out. If they ask to come in, they come in. They have two slave children who mindlessly open and close doors at their bidding. Its kind of funny to watch how well trained the kids are actually.

They go for about 10 hours at the most on days we both work, but most of the time DH comes home at some point (to potty - the irony) and lets the dogs out.

A typical work day, Buddy, my essentially crippled old lady will go out three times a day in the yard to potty and sniff around.

Obi gets a moderate walk in the morning, and a very long walk at night. He refuses to poop in our yard, so it's either long walk or he poops in the basement...

Well it varies a lot from day to day, because we always let them out right before we leave the house and right after we get home. So that depends on how many times we come and go in a day. And when we are home we will let them out whenever they ask.

Absolute minimum on my long work days is 3 - when I get up, when I get home from work, and before they go to bed.

kady05

About five to six times a day usually. In the morning first thing, then right before I leave for work, then sometime in the afternoon if my brother comes home, then when my mom gets home, then after supper and again right before bed. They don't really need to go out that much probably, but I feel better letting them out often. They never ask though unless they really desperately need to go after drinking too much after playing.
That's pretty much how it is here. My guys go out quite often, especially if it's nice. Now, on days like today where it's been cold and rainy, they've gone out.. 3 times so far, and I'm getting ready to let them out before we go to bed in a minute. Usually though, it's 5/6 times daily.

Some of that is because Piper does have incontinence issues, and the more I let her pee, the better that is. Mostly it's because I'm weird and think that for some reason they need to go out a bunch of times during the day.

Dekka

Just try me..
If Dekka is crated she can hold it 8 hrs or so. If she is doing things she will hold it about 4. So it makes a big difference what is going on. When I am home they go in and out every few hours. I can't imagine only peeing twice a day myself! lol.

yoko

Zander has a bladder of steel, too. He can hold it an easy 10 hours, and has held it up to 17 hours before.

The only time he HAS to go out is when we wake up. But I feel like that's more routine than anything else.
I've thought about it and I think 3 times is about it for Yoshi.

But I know she can hold it longer if need be.

Zander sounds like Yoshi in that regard XD

When I first had my allergic reaction and was really sick for the next few days I couldn't get up at all and was at my dad's place. I think Yoshi went out once a day and that took my dad grabbing her and dragging her outside and standing there to make sure she went because other than that she didn't leave me.

BostonBanker

I can't fathom being forced onto a schedule myself, so I try not to force my dogs onto one.

Meg is one of those "can hold it forever" dogs. Gusto actually holds it pretty well too. But they are used to being with my mother all day when I'm at work (she's retired), so they don't usually stay home alone for more than a few hours at a time. They don't have a set schedule, as I said, but pretty typical is:

5:30 - out with me for a pee before breakfast.
6:30 - quick walk with me for a pee/poop if needed.
9:30 - down to the green/short walk with my mother.
1:00 - down to the green/short walk with my mother.
4:00 - I get home, outside for either a hike/training session, or to the barn.
7:00 - outside for a quick walk/play on the green before total darkness sets in.
10:30 - last outs before bed.

Meg will pretty much always at least pee when she's outside. Gusto sometimes is having too much fun being alive to take a moment to pee, but goes most of the time he's let out. Meg never asks to go out. Gusto will sometimes, and he always at least pees if he does.

We walk about 2 - 3 times a day for at least around 45 mins per time. Katalin gets all her bathroom use out of those walks and is good about holding it in between them. She can hold it for a solid 10 hours nowadays though anyway.

ACooper

90% of the time I (or someone) am home or he's with us. I'd say on a normal day, he asks/goes out about 5-6 times from waking to bedtime. This isn't counting a walk cause he normally doesn't like going potty on walks.

He's easily gone 8 hours holding it in the crate, but generally if we are going to be out for the day without him, he's in his outdoor kennel (inside the privacy fence backyard)

Saeleofu

I let Gavroche out first thing in the morning since he has urinary issues (around 6:30am). Then both dogs go out when I get home or if I work all day my mum lets them out (around 12:30). Then they're in and out for about an hour, they have access to go in and out as they please. If Logan is going to class with me, he gets walked before we go, and I let him pee just before we go into the building. Then when we get home (3pm) they go outside again, and I either take a nap or do whatever. Then they usually don't go out again until sometime between 9pm and 11pm. They go out one more time just before bed, between 12am and 1am.

I'm comfortable letting my dogs hold it for 12 hours, though they usually only do so overnight.

If I don't have anything to do, they usually go out between 12pm and 1pm, again at about 4pm, then at 10 or 11pm, and last call at 1am.

My mum is almost always home, so if they need to go out at some point when I'm not home, she lets them out.

Logan is given a chance to pee/poop before we enter any building.

Flyinsbt

I don't really know. I have a dog door, so when I'm home, they can go out whenever they feel like it. When I'm at work, the younger 2 dogs each have a chainlink run in the back room (former back porch that was enclosed, it has a concrete floor). My work hours are long, so the dogs have pee pads. I try to usually come straight home, because I'm away so long anyway, but I don't worry about rushing home if I need to do something, since the dogs do have the pee pads to use. Which they don't always do.

MafiaPrincess

Obvious trollsare Obvious
Mine sleep in as long as I want to. So we go when we get up, and if people are home, whenever they'd like. If no one's home they chill in my room for the day and can hold it 12-13 hours if needed.

Poor Smudge has been crated and forgotten by my family before. Black dog often on black blanket.. He held it 13 hours as a 1 year old as they forgot him.. I try to leave him with Cider so he isn't forgotten. He also often is quiet which doesn't help.

noludoru

Bored Now.
He goes out at least 3x. My problem is that he occasionally guzzles a half gallon of water without me noticing. Or is too excited to poop before I leave. :rolleyes:

TahlzK

My two are outside during the day while I work/or when I'm not at home so they can relieve themselves whenever they need to, thankfully. Makes life easier since I don't need to rush home!

When they are inside the room, they normally start acting odd around the door so I know it's time to let them out.

My worry is night time while I'm sleeping. I need to try and let them out once a night, if I can get up. Can't wait for that dog door..

SkyRock

We are adjusting to Rocky's new schedule as he can't no longer hold it as much as he could before. He was able to do just fine with three times, but now he's more comfortable with five or six times.

Usually we go out at 7:00am, 10:00am, 3:00pm, 7:00pm, 9:00pm and 11:00pm.

Southpaw

orange iguanas.
Well they probably get let out 100 times a day lol. Yeah, 96 of those times they're probably just out there sniffing and eating rabbit poop. But they get let out whenever they ask. They can hold it, on a typical day it's just not needed though.

I have never rushed home because the dogs need to go outside, although I will hurry simply because I don't like them being alone for long.

maxfox426

My dog tickles my soul
Morgan goes out at minimum twice a day, to do business after meal times. He often asks to go out just to lounge on the patio, though.

For us, we don't ever have to rush home to let him out, but we DO have to be careful that his dinner (or breakfast, for that matter) isn't delayed too late or he will make himself sick. :(

Members online