Help on choosing a breed,Welsh Springer Spaniel,lab,or a Bernese mountain dog?(ACD)

Puppy

Bernese Mountain Dog!
Hi. Me and my family have been thinking of getting a dog for about 6 months now, and are waiting a bit longer until the time is just right to get a dog. We have been looking at a few breeds and have narrowed it down to:

*Welsh Springer Spaniel.

*Bernese Mountain Dog

*Labrador.

Another one in mind is an Australian Cattle dog, but we have to do more research on that before we put on the list.

I want to give you as much information as I can so that you guys can help us make a decision.

Btw there are 4 people in the house, 2 adults and 2 teenagers. The people that will be the main careers will be me and my son, who will be 15. We have everything sorted out apart from finalizing the breed to get.

So far the one on top is the Welsh springer spaniel. The reasons for this are that it is less hyper/active in the house than the Lab. Also Labradors chew more that the WSS so that would suit some people in the house better. The Bernese Mount dog is next, then the lab.

The likelihood of getting a lab is highly unlikely, mainly due to the reasons above. We don’t mind an active dog or a chewer, it’s just that I have been told and have read on the forum that they are very good at it compared to the other 2 breeds. I am not putting the lab down, I would love to have one but I think it would suit my husband better.

When it comes to the Bernese mountain dog there is a set back. My son likes to run/jog, and would like the dog to be a running/jogging partner. I’ve read that the BMD is not a dog to be taken jogging, it’s more of a heavy, muscular dog that was bred to pull carts etc.

So, so far the WSS is high on the list. I am going to do some research on the Australian Cattle Dog and see if that would fit our life style any better that the WSS. If anyone could give me any info on the ACD that would help, that would be good.

Please give me any feedback you can, and make any comments. Thanks.

wildwings811

a.k.a: agilitydobemom
Wow those are all really different breeds that you have on your list it sounds like you want a dog to suit you son and an active lifestyle what are your uses for the dog pet, jogging partner, couch potatoe, hunting? I would like to suggest a breed if you a want good pet but energetic partner for your son

Weimaraner

They are great dogs not as active as a lab but a great companion and would love to go on a jog with your son

It sounds like the BMD is just a favorite not for the use but more likely the look? why did you choose this breed? not that it is a bad breed but if you are wanting a more active breed of dog this would not be a good choice

Puppy

Bernese Mountain Dog!
yes,i agree totaly.so i guess were going for the WSS,ill have a look at the weimaraner also.

yeah we wouldn't be using a BMD for pulling things, and it wouldn't be suitable for running so we wont get that.

the dog isn't just going to be jogging partner. its main role will be a family pet and companion, but a dog that could jog would be prefered by my son.

thanks,we still have some time to think about it though.ill research the Weimaraner.

but what do you think of the Welsh Springer Spaniel?

Melissa_W

Don't get an Austrailian Cattle Dog if you are just looking for a companion animal. They are very active and need a job to do, weather it be herding, obidience, agility, or what have you. But they don't do well just lying around the house. They need lots of attention. This tends to go for most of the herding breeds. The Lab would probably be the best companion dog of the ones you listed. Here are some links.

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/australiancattledog.htm
http://www.australiancattledog.com/
http://www.acdrescueassociation.com/notesonadopting.html

wildwings811

Although I don't know much about the WSS I do know we have two in our local dog club and they seem to be great loyal dogs one is a male the other is a female both owned by the same lady they seem to excel in obedience and agility too the WSS would probably be a great breed for you may I also suggest some other breeds that fit your criteria

German Shorthaired Pointer
Vizsla
Beagle (I know it sounds strange but seriously)
Rhodesian Ridge Back
Boxer

Another suggestion is there is a thing on the net called puppy match I don't know the web page (some one else might) but it matches you to the breed that is best for you and it is pretty accurate you might want to give it a try

bubbatd

The breeds you mentioned could be a problem. Why not go and find what suits you at a Humane Society, ?? Yes, I bred goldens for 40 years, but times have changed... breeds have changed . You could look up rescue groups of each of you wanted breeds. Our Golden Rescue had a 3 year old wonderful golden whose Mom and Dad had to give up because of going into a Nursing Home......a fully trained, healthy wonderful dog for $150 . Yes, I love puppies, but mine were so special I can't go that route again. The cuteness of a pup lasts about 6 months...An older dog well trained lasts 10 to 13 yrs .

Dakotah_2009

OOO YEA SHHHAKE IT!!
Melissa_W said:
Don't get an Austrailian Cattle Dog if you are just looking for a companion animal. They are very active and need a job to do, weather it be herding, obidience, agility, or what have you. But they don't do well just lying around the house. They need lots of attention. This tends to go for most of the herding breeds. The Lab would probably be the best companion dog of the ones you listed. Here are some links.

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/australiancattledog.htm
http://www.australiancattledog.com/
http://www.acdrescueassociation.com/notesonadopting.html

I totally agree w/ you on the ACD part!!!

Dakotah_2009

OOO YEA SHHHAKE IT!!
I would either go w/ a WSS or a Weimaraner, since your son likes to jog/run and be outdoors. Weimaraners love to play and exercise, so I would say those dogs, but a WSS is a great jogging/running part as well. Don;t know which one out of these 2, thats your call.

Zoom

Twin 2.0
Who told you WSS's are less hyper than Labs?? That's not been my experience...but it could have been those particular dogs. Otherwise, they're a great breed, but they do live up to the "Springer" part of their names! They do need regular grooming (coat clippig), which is something that Weims and Labs don't need. Weims can tend to be very nervous or neurotic, so that is something to watch out for.

Puppy

Bernese Mountain Dog!
bubbatd said:
The breeds you mentioned could be a problem.
bubbatd why could the breeds i mentioned be a problem?do mean in terms of finding a breeder?

zoom,knowbody said they were less,i was just saying that id read and heard that labs were very hyperactive dogs. so when i was comparing the two dogs i swayed towords the WSS. in your experience what were they like?

p.s. how do i quote just a section of what someone says?

Bubbatd's advice is excellent, especially since your husband doesn't want to deal with chewing. ALL puppies chew! And by rescuing an adult or young adult dog, you've already got a good idea of the dog's temperament.

Puppy

Bernese Mountain Dog!
ye thats another option to look into.thanks for the advice.

could anyone give me some info on the WSS and also the vizsla. any other sugestions would be much appreciated.

S

stirder

the reason the breeds you mentioned could be a problem is they are all energetic. even the bernese mountain dog (average life span of 7-8 years). bmd is a somewhat rare breed right now. contact the bernese mountain dog club of america and request a breeder referral list...there arent very many. that means that they are all (on that list) great breeders, but also means there could easily be a 12 month + waiting list and a price for a pet quality pup could be over $2,000.
wss is typically MORE energetic than a lab, so are weimerainer and viszla, both of which can be hard headed. there all breeds that need a lot of excercise.
list the criteria that you want a breed to meet, such as low energy level, very light shedder, guard dog, good with kids, etc and maybe we can give better suggestions?
I just went back and re-read your first post...all of them could be a jogging partner once their joints are finished growing. for a bernese that would be I think around 2-3 years old. but the bernese would be the most laid back in the house as long as it gets outdoor excercise. the others would be laid back as well but would require a great deal more outdoor excercise.
let us know how much time (absolute minimum) every day your family will spend excercising the dog outside, what activities the dog mgiht participate in with the family, is shedding a concern, etc

Fandogg

this is easy...

labs are the best dogs
bernese mountain dogs are the best looking
welsh springer spaniels are ok to

dont get a cattle dog

Fandogg

if u are unsure wait b/c u dont want to get the wrong breed and have to live with it for 15 years...

wildwings811

I think that any breed is great as long as you do your research and get the breed that best suits your needs

I think that if you are trying to avoid the "puppy" issues hyperactivity, chewing, relieving themselves in the house etc.... you should rescue there alot of great young dogs out there that need a forever home

Ultimately the choice you make is yours just make sure it is a choice that you will be happy with for the next eight years or more:)

showpug

Fandogg said:
this is easy...

labs are the best dogs
bernese mountain dogs are the best looking
welsh springer spaniels are ok to

dont get a cattle dog
Don't be fooled, labs have a whole set of "bad" issues as does any breed. In fact, too many people jump into getting a lab because of the above stereotype!

I would not recommend a cattle dog. They are hard workers and usually one person dogs.

S

stirder

I agree with showpug. and dont get a acd. I have a 12 week old acd and I can tell you, its a lot more work than the other breeds you have. they have a lot more energy, extremely strong herding instincts (which are to nip at heels/ankles), and they were bred to work very hard all day and night in the australian outback, where it can be well over 100 degrees in the daytime and below zero at night. and they are strong willed, very determined dogs who will try to break the rules 100 times a day. I wouldnt trade her for anything, and luckily my adult male gsd enforces the rules on her so its not just me and my wife. they are excellent dogs, but not for most people.

Puppy

Bernese Mountain Dog!
one thing i forgot to mention is that i live in the UK, and have found breeders for all of those breeds,so finding a breeder isnt issue,nor the price.

in terms of excercise the dog (this is when it is nessesary,like teenager and adult when its bones are fully grown,as a pup needs less) will get a 15 min walk in the morning,a 25-40 min run around in a park on the majority of days,or more time on the weekends.if not able to take to the park then a long walk,and then in the evening a 10-20min walk. this will be tied in with play sessions in the garden etc.on the jogging side we'll see when we'll do that,probably in the 2nd walk/run around.

because of the life span of a bmd we are a bit hessitant though,and if we do then we will have to search for long lived lines.

in terms of critera:

does not have to be a guard dog.
main role:family pet and companion.it wont be used for hunting or to 'work'.
otherwise just a breed that suits our lifestyle really.

ive researched the lab alot,and have heard good and bad,pros and cons,so i supose it just depends on the invidual dog how much it lives up to its breeds 'typical' temperment.

so were still leaning to WSS, but have a few more months to look into the breed even more and look at other.

has anyone got any personal experiences with a WSS?

Melissa_W

Members online

No members online now.