Ginger has cherry eye

T

tessa_s212

Ginger, now not only blind, deaf, and has always had horrible ear infections, has developed cherry eye which has become pussy from her eyelids turning in a bit to push her lashes into her eyes.

I was looking and looking through the internet, and found all sorts of stuff about the surgeries. The problem is, my parents don't want to "waste" money on her. I've read somewhere it can be left untreated and if no other problems develop the dog will be okay, but Ginger already has another problem that developed(eyelashes in eye, pussy).

I've given her a bath, and now she's in a crate to dry. She also has started to get another ear infection, which I will care for and get cleaned up. I'm going to wash her eyes out thoroughly and get rid of the puss and keep it clean. But I doubt that will help with the eyelash issue, which is either what caused the cherry eye, or was the result of cherry eye.

Some might remember my old posts from back in the winter. The scare I had when we couldn't find her out in the deep, deep snow in all the winter storms.

I'd gladly pay for all of Ginger's health needs. I'd pay for hte **** surgery, and I'd care for her. If my parents won't "waste" the money, I'd be glad to. She is NOT a waste. But .. blind, deaf, chronic ear infections, we've been finding pee spots on couches where she lays, and now cherry eye. I always knew this day would come.. I knew Ginger would be the dog that we'd have to put to sleep before she died on her own with all her health issues. But gosh darn it.. how do I know when? And how do I even talk to my mother about this without wanting to scream and yell at her for even being able to think Ginger is a "waste" of money and time? I might be albe to recognize that her time is coming to an end, but I could never think she's a waste.

I don't know what to do. Other than to care for her and keep her clean.

Baxter'smybaby

swimming upstream
oh Tessa--it's always tough to know when it's time--do you have a vet you can call and ask re: her eye care? It sounds as if Ginger has had a loving home with you-and you will know when the time has arrived.
As for your mom, I don't know that you will be able to make her see what you see in Ginger. I know it hurts-but you know what you have given to Ginger, and what she has given you in return. ((HUGS)) to you.

T

tessa_s212

Does anyone know an average price range for cherry eye surgery? For a dog to be euthanized? Even if I could afford the surgery,...

So,.. within the week or so my mom is going to have to call our vet. He does home visits, but I'm not sure for euthanasia.

Gah.. so weird to talk about it. I can't.

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
(((((HUGS)))))) I'm sorry your going through this Tessa. I'm sure that Ginger will tell you when it her time to go. :(

I'm not sure about cost for cherry eye surgery, but I know that euthanasia is usually based on weight and varies between vets. It cost us about $100 to put Mia to sleep and she was 97 pounds.

T

tessa_s212

The first few I'm holding her eyelids up. Normally they are very wrinkly and hang down over her eyes.

Right Eye:

T

tessa_s212

Left Eye: (holding it up again and pulling the eyelashes out of from being curled into her ey ball)

T

tessa_s212

And for Ginger's sake.. not the best pictures, but they do her more justice than those. ^^

Fran27

Poor girl :(

You'll know when it's time. What's her way of life, does she seem bothered or in pain?

doberkim

Naturally Natural
this actually may not be cherry eye -it looks like her eyelid is VERY inflammed, but its not the third eyelid coming out in those pics (from what i can tell).

she may have something like dry eye, where the eye fails to produce enough tears to keep them moist, or the eyelashes may be causing chronic deep ulcerations.

id get her to a vet. i know finances are a problem, but i DO seriously think that there may be medical treatments available for you that may help ginger out - i do not think, in my medical opinion, that the options are just surgery or just euthanasia.

SummerRiot

Dog Show Addict
I'd have to agree with Doberkim,

I've seen Cherry eye come into work and it doesn't resemble it so much.

She does need medical attention though.. treatment shouldn't be to expensive (between $100-200 I'd assume depending on your area)

Poor girly. Let us know how things go!

Lizmo

Water Junkie
Tessa :( I'm so sorry, ((((((((((((((hugs))))))))))))))) I agree with Kim, explore all, possible, options.

More (((((((((((((hugs))))))))))))) I'm here to talk whenever you need.

T

tessa_s212

Poor girl :(

You'll know when it's time. What's her way of life, does she seem bothered or in pain?
She's never awake long enough to really observe whether she's in discomfort or pain. She sleeps all day. You have to wake her up to go outside to go potty, where you then have to practically drag her out. She's always been a very strong willed dog that has never had any obedience training. You have to wake her up and show her her food bowl, where she no longer runs through house barking or excited about her food, something I thought she'd always do. She loves her food. She might wake up long enough to move a few feet, or might go to somebody's room, and then lays down to sleep some more.

doberkim, I told my mom what you said.. but she's still not very willing to take her to the vet. She just says, go ask your dad. He's not going to wan to pay. :( If its not life threatening, its not worth seeing a vet over. My dad didn't even want to take my brother to the hospital when he broke his collarbone. My brother cried in his bed for three hours before my mom MADE my dad take him.

Does anyone know an average price range for cherry eye surgery? For a dog to be euthanized? Even if I could afford the surgery,...

So,.. within the week or so my mom is going to have to call our vet. He does home visits, but I'm not sure for euthanasia.

Gah.. so weird to talk about it. I can't.
My daughters English Bulldog had surgery for Cherry Eye. I'll ask her how much it cost.

sorry to hear about your baby. My puppy is a cocker spaniel he just developed a cherry eye on his left just a couple of days ago. one vet was charging 4-500. for it to be removed and another one was charging 2-250. it just depends he is also only 14 wks when he will have it removed. Try not to worry about it too much my jake doesnt seem to be in pain at all and he never paws at it it just looks painfull to us, but I dont think it actually is.

Staff online

Members online