Greetings from the "animal house"

Hi all! Let me start off by saying that I love this forum. The forum that I had originally used crashed, losing everything and everyone. Alas! But I have found this one and it is equal, if not better, than my last. Anyhow, on to the fun stuff.

My name is Lindsey and I am a 23 year old college senior at the University of Arizona. My husband, James (25) and I just moved to Arizona from Hawaii. He is in the Navy, but is contemplating getting out once his tour is up. Anyhow, I married him amidst him being in Hawaii and ended up moving there (as married people commonly live together) and was able to be there for 2 years. It was GORGEOUS! A hikers dream. That is where we met and fell in love with our first Catahoula Leopard Dog.

I would be very interested to know if anyone has ever heard of this breed...or owns one themselves. I have found that this breed is few and far between. When I win the lottery I am going to build a big Catahoula rescue and get the word out on these incredible dogs.....but they aren't for the weak of heart! =)

As it turns out, there was a breeder on the island and (after researching...) we decided to adopt one. Her name is Pika and she is a year and a half. Right before we moved, we adopted another Catahoula. His name is Todd (stop laughing....) and he's 7 months. They are our children. My parents call them their granddogs these days and have all but given up on real kids any time soon. =)

Anyway, it is very nice to meet everyone and can't wait to get to know some of you! Here are some pictures....if you were wondering what the heck a catahoula was.

Pika and Me

James and Pika exchanging kisses!

Me and Toddy-7months

Gempress

Walks into Mordor
Hello! Welcome to Chaz. Your dogs are gorgeous! I lived on Hickam AFB for seven years, and I still miss it.

Right now I'm in rural Texas, and catahoulas are actually fairly common around here. It's kind of interested how that works. I've seen catahoulas in the northeast selling for $1,000 a pup, but over here you see catahoulas and catahoula mixes pretty frequently. There are ads for pups in the newpaper on a regular basis. I think it's a good thing. They're such neat-looking dogs!

As far as I know, I think you're the only catahoula owner on the board. I'm sure we'd all love hearing about your experiences!

edit: As for your breed rescue, why wait for the lotto? :D

Yet another edit: Why don't post some info about them in the breed forum? I don't really know much about them, and I'm sure everyone else would be interested, too.

Last edited:

TheWonderPuppies

Pres. Of Gutter Club.....
I live in Louisiana right now(not by choice) and that is were the bred origanated from and actually is the state dog you have to be carefull and socialize them verry well when young because theey are still technically a "developing breed" so if you arnt carfull they casn have behavioral"issues" they are verry cheap here and can get purbred ones for under $100 dollors or for free and mixes for free to $25 my aunt had one named mikey he died recently(R.I.P) you have to make sure they have exercise they were breed as a hunting dog to clear that up and come in certain colors with either brow eyes one brown eye and a glass eye or double glass eyes(if you dont know the term glass eyes are that pircing clearish blue if this isnt enoug info u can email me at [email protected] and i will be glad to try and help you.
Annie

TheWonderPuppies

Pres. Of Gutter Club.....
This is my last thing for today how do you post a thread???????????? can some one email me^^^^^^^^^ with derectins it would really help me out a lot

Welcome to Chaz!
I've not been here long but like you think it's a pretty great site!
I have to agree with you about Hawaii; although I've not lived there, I've visited several times and love it! Currently I live on Okinawa and truly enjoy the "island life". :)
We had a dog in North Dakota, Spike, who was adopted from the local HS. She was labled as a Catahoula/Sharpei mix. Not sure if she was or not, the Sharpei was very evident when she was a pup but she grew out of it. Sadly, her life was too short.

I am not sure if you were posting that for my information, Annie, or for the info of those reading, but all that you say is true. I have done my homework on Catahoula's and they sure are smart dogs!!! They need something to keep their minds occupied and plenty of exercise...which my dogs get both. Pika, our girl, has cracked brown eyes. This means that she has part brown, part blue coloring all within one eye. Pretty cool.

That's so crazy that Catahoula's are so cheap down in Louisiana...though it makes sense. I have read the history and breed information on the Catahoula so I am pretty well versed. I should share it, maybe, in the breed thread.

My husband was stationed in Okinawa for a while. I hope you like it there! Spike...your catahoula mix was beautiful!!

Saje

Island dweller
Hi there and welcome. Sounds like your dogs have a great home. I hope they let you make some of the rules :D

Looking forward to learning more and seeing more pics. :)

Zoom

Twin 2.0
Hi and welcome! Your dogs are gorgeous and I look forward to many many pictures and stories!

There's a catahoula/rottie mix that is a regular at my job and she is one of the most beautiful dogs I've ever met.

Dizzy

Sit! Good dog.
wow, being from the UK (not sure if that is an excuse) I had never heard of catahoula dogs, until literally in the last week when I somehow stumbled across them on the web.... and fell in love!!

Not often I see something I fall in love with either :D

Members online

No members online now.