Items to have with a new puppy

Hi everyone,

I have a few questions on supplies we should have when he get our new Brittany puppy in the spring. I'm a newbie so go easy on me, lots of questions :)

1. Should we buy a wire-adjustable crate to grow with the puppy or buy a
few different sized plastic-styled crates?

Reason I ask is some people feel the wire ones can be hazardous to puppies as they would get their paw stuck and hurt themselves.

I would think the most economical route would be the wire-adjustable styled crate...

2. Grooming - Would a regular slicker brush do the same job as a rubber nubby one? Or would a mitt be sufficientl. I saw some at the pet store by Dogit and I wasn't sure which would be more effective.

3. Nail trimming - what's easier, the dremel or actual nail clippers? I believe Brittanys have light coloured nails so the quick would be easily located.

4. Does anyone use a harness to attach the leash for going on walks as opposed to a collar and leash for medium sized dogs?

Thanks for reading my "story" of questions...info is much appreciated!

Heather

darkchild16

We are Home.
I had no issues with a wire crate but with a plastic they can chew it.

I would choose a regular slicker if it were me because the plastic could pull the hair.

Clippers work great for me and my dogs have light colored nails.

I would not use a harness on a puppy as it teaches them to pull i use a collar on my dogs except for my havanese she has a collar and harness.

Lizmo

Water Junkie
Hi and Welcome to Chaz :)

I am going to back up a little and ask some questions too if that is okay :)

Where are you getting this puppy? Is he from a good breeder that has good lines and does not breed for a profit? or from a Puppy Mill or BYB?

What is the puppy going to be for? Just a family pet...a Show dog or are you going to do RallyO or Obedience?

Now to answer your questions :)

1st...I would buy a wire one....b/c like Breeze said, the puppy coulld chew it up and that would not be good....and make sure you make the crate a fun and safe place for your pup...his own space to get away from things if need be.

3rd....They may have light colored nails but I would go with a Dremel...they get the nail shorter and shorter each time you trim the nail.

4th....I would use a Puppia harness...here is the link to one Puppia Harness.....I have heard very good things about it too...but I would also teach the pup to walk in a regular collar without pulling.

krisykris

If the dog is small I would recommend a Puppia harness too, they're great. They do encourage pulling but can save a small dogs neck too. As long as they're taught to properly walk on a leash, it shouldn't be an issue.

Hi and Welcome to Chaz :)

I am going to back up a little and ask some questions too if that is okay :)

Where are you getting this puppy? Is he from a good breeder that has good lines and does not breed for a profit? or from a Puppy Mill or BYB?

What is the puppy going to be for? Just a family pet...a Show dog or are you going to do RallyO or Obedience?

Yes it is a reputable breeder, no puppymills here! He hunts with his dogs, been breeding Brittanys for 13 years. I've looked on local hunting sites about him and nothing but positive feedback on his dogs :) The dog will be a family pet for us and flyball in the future.

RD

Are you dead yet?
1.) Doesn't really matter. I used a wire crate for my Border Collie because he didn't like the plastic one. My Papillon liked his plastic one.

2.) For a Brittany I don't expect a hound glove would do much, but you'd probably be able to get the job done with a metal comb, a slicker brush and a zoom groom.

3.) You can use the nail clippers to clip off the excess, and the dremel to smooth it out if you'd like. That's what I do, since my dog won't hold still long enough for me to dremel down the entire nail. I have a dog that likes it to be done as quickly as possible so with him I just use clippers. He has tiny nails. I'd teach the pup to accept both.

4.) No reason why they couldn't get used to both, but in general I used the collar and just taught the pups not to pull on the leash.

bubbatd

For a very young pup I like a halter in the beginning , while working with a collar too . I've seen too many pups braking and backing out of their collars on walks.

Members online

No members online now.