iPhone people (or people who have phones with data)

~Dixie's_Mom~

♥Chloe & Violet♥
How do you save data? I'm FREAKING out because I just got my iPhone yesterday morning and I got at text this morning saying I've used 50% of my data already. How can this even be? I was working and sleeping most of the time! I didn't realize you had to switch to wifi to save data, so that's been done, but I'm so scared that I'm gonna accidentally go over and end up owing a lot of money! I hate this! I was so excited for this iPhone and now I feel like if I actually use it, I'm gonna regret it! How can the data go that fast!? That doesn't seem right/possible!

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
Settings - General - Network - and then switch your Cellular Data to Off.

I have mine set at Off all the time unless I want to actually do something on it. That will stop any internetting from happening, because even if you just don't go on the internet, the Push Notifications and such will still gradually chip away at your data (at least that is how I understand it)

~Dixie's_Mom~

♥Chloe & Violet♥
Dang it, I didn't realize it didn't let me use wifi either. I turned it back on. I use the Internet on it all the time, that's why I got the iPhone, so I could get online w/it. Ahhhggg this sucks.

yoko

You should call your cell company it shouldn't have done that over night. I stream videos constantly and only hit maybe two and a half gb a month.

JacksonsMom

I'm on my phone ALL the time and never gotten anything like that, but I have unlimited for $30/month on AT&T. I am "grandfathered" in because I got my iPhone 3G when it was still unlimited data. I don't even think they offer that anymore, which was the only reason I stuck with AT&T when I got my new iPhone 5, otherwise I would've got Verizon because there is a heck of a lot more LTE coverage for Verizon in my area.

I did get an e-mail once that asked me to use less data because I was using a lot.... LOL... but there's technically nothing they can do about it. Well I think they said it would slow down or something (speed-wise) if I went over, but I've just made myself remember to use the WiFi more often.

JessLough

Love My Mutt
well the verizon site SUCKS and I can't see how much data you have. Click on No for Push Options, and shut off everything overnight.

If it's not letting you on wifi, and killing that much data, it's something wrong with the phone. I use my phone for absolutely everything, am always on the internet/using data, and I use less than 2.5gb/month.

I have an android, and I'm on a shared data plan with my brother so we have 4 GB between us. I don't get wifi in my dorm so I really cut back on how much browsing I do. Now I pretty much only use data when I'm lost in the city and need to use the GPS. Even so, when I first got my phone and I didn't know about the wifi thing, I was using it all the time for days before I got a notification. You should definitely contact someone and tell them about the notification.

SkyRock

I never turn Cellular data off, what I do is I use wi-fi whenever is possible, right bow I'm home and I'm using wi-fi, when I'm @ Uni I'm also on wi-fi, when I'm out like at a restaurant or the park I use cellular data. I have Unlimited data which is awesome, BUT even with my Blackberry which I use on 4G all the time, I never use wi-fi on my BB, I don't even reach 1GB a month and I watch youtube videos all the time. I don't have Verizon but I think you should call me or go to the store they will help you :)

joce

There's a place on Verizon's site to see how much you've used. Keep an eye on it. I have unlimited but my brother who is on my plan doesn't so I check his occasionally.

We would all go over because we do the music sites and I'm online all day!

stardogs

Behavior Nerd
You miiight have only 250MB of data - I know my plan has 2GB of data but it's a heck of a lot more per month than $30 on AT&T lol. I'd call Verizon and ask.

JessLough

Love My Mutt
I'm on the Internet on my phone pretty much all the time, including for Netflix every night, apps with Internet usage are even running when I'm asleep, and in a week, I've only used 340MBish. I'd definitely call and see how much data you have. (I got nosey and looked it up, I have unlimited data). If you're worried about going over, you can go into your settings and set a cap on your data so once you hit that each month, it won't let you use it anymore.

~Dixie's_Mom~

♥Chloe & Violet♥
It's on a family plan so maybe that's why I get it for $30 a month? It's definitely $30 though.

My dads was grandfathered in as $30 for unlimited, also, Brittany.

I called them again and they said the $30 is for 2gigs of data and I have used 0.833gigs so far. However I did set it to wifi (turned it on airplane mode) and was told it would not use up my data that way. We'll see. I've been using it this way for most of the day, so in the morning I'm gonna check on my data and see if its changed.

crazedACD

It's interesting to read this...I'm getting annoyed not being able to do stuff with my phone (use your smartphone for this! that!) but my phone plan is perfect for me..and $25 a month. I just can't stomach tripling that to get a smartphone.

~Dixie's_Mom~

♥Chloe & Violet♥
I just checked and my data usage is now 0.879... But I can't remember if it was 0.833 before or after I switched the 4G off and the wifi on. So I'll have to check again sometime tomorrow to see if its still using data while its on wii mode. Apparently that's happening for some people (it's a glitch in the 5) and I may need to return it.

yoko

If you are getting a message about using .879 being over your limit you need to call your cell company today. It doesn't sound like they gave you the correct data plan and if you don't let them know and they have record of 'advising' you it's probably going to be a giant pain not being charged overages.

Just saying this as someone who has worked as a cell phone customer service rep.

Members online