Anyone use a dehydrator?

chaospony

As the title says, I am thinking of buying a dehydrator for making dogs treats. So many recalls and warnings these days!

Does anyone use one? Do you use it often or did it just get too bothersome?
I am a complete noob when it comes to this!

Lyzelle

Never used a dehydrator....but I use the oven on a really low setting for a long time and it does mostly the same thing?

chaospony

How long does the meat keep using the oven?
Do you freeze some of it and keep the a small batch in the fridge? Or is it safe to keep in a container?

Lyzelle

I keep it in a container, just like regular jerky. Depending on low I set the oven, it can take a while for the meat to cook. I've never really thought about the meat spoiling in the meantime though.

naturalfeddogs

love the fluff
I use our dehydrator all the time. I dehydrate both meat and liver, and it makes wonderful treats. No way would I buy commercial anything.

The dehydrator is really easy, and if there are certain meats/organs your dog doesn't like, they will love them in dehydrated form! Mine HATE HATE chicken liver, but they will tear up dehydrated chicken liver jerky in a minute.

Kat09Tails

*Now with Snark*
you can use a dehydrator, microwave, or oven. Cooking times have too many variables to set in stone so... you really do cook it til your done.

I freeze everything in baggies. Pull it out and we're good to go.

chaospony

Thanks guys!
Still haven't decided if I will get one or not. I'd hate to spend money on it then not use it. Maybe I will do the oven method for a few months and decide then.

Snark

Mutts to you
I bought a fairly cheap dehydrator from Wallyworld and use it once or twice a month. I make chicken jerky for the most part, it's cheaper to buy and easier for me to slice fairly thin (boneless chicken breasts and I trim off all the fat, fat doesn't seem to dehydrate too well, at least for my cheapo machine).

Usually run the dehydrator for about 5-1/2 to 6 hours, switching the order of stacked trays every hour or so (not sure if that's really necessary, but I want to make sure everything cooks evenly). Store the finished jerky in the fridge and it lasts for 2 to 3 weeks.

Members online