what to do..?

when i was little, i was attacked by a german shepard...now im very much not a fan of larger dogs. Im fine if they are calm, however when they jump on me or get excited i get very very nervous.
Anyways, yesterday I had henry my jack russel outside for a walk, and all of a sudden i see a pure white huskey get loose and start running towards us. I was absolutly terrified.
henrys a social guy, loves every dog he sees, however he was just growling and growling at this huskey as it ran towards us, i thought it was going to either come after me, or go for henry. Luckily it was im assuming playing/taunting us as he/she would run right to us, the run away, run towards us, then run away. But henry still was freaking out. and i was ready to pee my pants.

What if the dog HAD grabbed henry? what would i even do?!

any ideas? im actually scared about seeing this dog again, i hope the owners got control of it (as the owners could catch the dog, it woas running towards them then would bolt within a foot or so of them) and its on a lesh or somthing. Very scared about another appearance lol

Doberluv

I think you need to explain this to the owners of that dog and ask them to keep him in their own yard. That is not right that they let him run lose like that. You were lucky he was friendly. As a help to you, you might also ask them to let you come visit their dog by yourself, not with Henry. (maybe later with Henry if it proves to be a safe thing for sure)If this dog is definitely human friendly, (which by your description, it sounds like it) you might like getting to know him. It would help you to over come this fear one step at a time. Good luck.

Julie

I am back again.
Sounds like Henry needs some work to concentrate on you instead of other distractions while walking...:)

Then there is the husky...where was the owner...is there leash laws? If that husky was aggressive Henry could have been toast...who's fault? I would say the loose Husky under NO owner control. You had your dog on a leash, and unless your in a dog park, you shouldn't have to deal with dogs running at large.
Although Henry's growling and barking could entice a dog to be more aggressive with you both.... In the end, the owners of the husky should have been responsible for the husky. I know there are alot of irresponsible dog owners out there, so my solution to all your "what ifs?" is to carry pepper spray...get the good kind! You can not control other loose dogs or their temperaments....the thing you can control is your own dog...go to obedience class and learn how to prevent his growling and barking...etc. and carry pepper spray for the safety of you and your dog. I never take my dog out on a leash in town without having some readily in my pocket. I have seen terrible dog fights and do NOT wish to see another....better safe than sorry. I always control my own dogs, but some others don't seem to have a clue.

i should clarify, up until yesterday, henry hasnt barked at another dog ever that i know of. I think this is why i got so scared, it was very out of the ordinary, he stood right in front of me and just growled growled growled which to me meant somthing wasnt right...hense me getting very worried.

From what his owner told me, the dog is usually at his girlfriends farm but she brought him to the city house just for the day and he didnt know so the dog bolted out the door when he arrived home (suprise!).

had henry not gotten all worked up my attitude would have been different...

my question is moreso based upon the what do i do if a dog comes after henry.

Julie gave you some great advice. I had an incident like this with one of my dogs...he was injured as a result. I wasn't the one walking him, my son's girlfriend was. My dogs were on leashes...this dog came out of someones yard. He was unattended.

J's crew

Whatever you need to do to protect Henry. Get some mace. Carry it with you at all times. Stomp your feet and yell at the dog with a deep voice.

And this isn't something I would recommend to everyone, but if I was in that situation w/o mace I would aim for sensative parts on a dog, like their eyes. Not pretty but I will do anything to protect my dogs from another dog attacking it,

Julie

I am back again.
my question is moreso based upon the what do i do if a dog comes after henry.
Like I said...protect your dog and yourself, the easiest and most humane way is to be ready with a can of pepper spray. At least IMHO. I have been thru this situation too many times, and I will never walk my dogs without it. Walking my dogs in town somehow brings out all the unattended "machos"...and rather than be in the middle of a dog fight, I choose to protect my own. Sounds harsh, but in reality not near as harsh as a persistant aggressor and the damage they could cause.

Yup a good can of pepper spray can do wonders!!! A very important thing to keep in mind is NOT TO PICK UP YOUR DOG!!! It can be a tempting thing to do in order to protect him but this will likely only result in the dog going after the both of you. If I have an aggressive dog coming towards us I slack the leashes and aim my foot ready to deliver a swift kick at the other dog usually in the stomach or head. I slack the leashes because tightening them up in order tot ry to get my two ""out of harms way"" only gives them a crutch and allows the aggressive dog to get at them easier. Ronan doesnt put up with any BS from other dogs when OC is around and OC...well...if things got bad enough he'll jump in and aid Ronan. They have thick fur (especially OC) to help protect them from bites and though they arent huge, they arent small either and can take care of themselves pretty well. Smaller dogs cant do this as well but you''d be surprised what even a small dog can handle!

As the owner of Siberian Huskies I can attest to how much of a Houdini they are!! Some more than others!!! I myself thought my yard was secure and then one day Ronan breeched it!!!! Many updates have been done and now all I can do is sit and wait and see if he finds another way out!!

Charliesmommy

I run with scissors
It sounds to me like Henry may have been re-acting, at least partly, to your fear. I know Charlie totally takes his cues from me. If I get excited, he gets excited, If I back away from something, so does he.

Members online

No members online now.